Questions about LTE and the Thunderbolt

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
1. Is there anybody living in a strong LTE area that can report having GOOD battery life?

2. From what I've read/heard, LTE should actually be a stronger and "easier" signal for the phone, where it's solid. Is it possible a lot of these battery issues will improve with the expansion of LTE?

Sent from my Droid

funkyb

Reaction score
1. Is there anybody living in a strong LTE area that can report having GOOD battery life?

2. From what I've read/heard, LTE should actually be a stronger and "easier" signal for the phone, where it's solid. Is it possible a lot of these battery issues will improve with the expansion of LTE?

Sent from my Droid

I am in St. Louis and we have pretty good LTE coverage. I also get decent battery life, however, I'm using WiFi when at home with Mobile Data turned off. During the working day I'm on LTE all day.

So far I have not had a day where I ran out of charge before the end of the day. I have all haptic feedback turned off, GPS off unless I'm using it, same for Bluetooth. Screen brightness I keep as low as possible.

There's a low-signal area in my house (I'm surronded by a forest, and some hills around) and I think that is affecting the 4G coverage. In certain rooms near the back I see my phone flipping 3G<=>4G, and that frequent transition *does* appear to noticibly impact battery drain, but for me it's no big deal because I am on wifi while at home anyway (with mobile data disabled).

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
that's good to hear... I live in DFW, so I know LTE is strong, but all the stories of people's LTE sucking their phone's battery down are really causing me to hesitate getting this phone...

funkyb

Reaction score
that's good to hear... I live in DFW, so I know LTE is strong, but all the stories of people's LTE sucking their phone's battery down are really causing me to hesitate getting this phone...

And of course your milage may vary, but so far I'm not having as bad a time as some are reporting. If nothing else, you always have the 14 day test-drive period to decide.

tc3

Reaction score
Makes since though...I've had "dumb" phones that would drain my battery quickly because of terrible recption and constantly searching for a 3g signal.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mthorn79

Reaction score
I live in DFW as well so I'm constantly in the LTE coverage area & I have to say, its horrible, just horrible. I woke up this morning with full charge, took the bus to work (about a 30 min treck) using the phone to surf forums the whole time. Got to work & I was at 63% battery!!

I have all the battery saving tips done as well...forgot my usb cable to charge at work so I pretty much let the phone sit there & its down to 30% from just sitting there!

Note to self: Carry charging cable at all times

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I live in DFW as well so I'm constantly in the LTE coverage area & I have to say, its horrible, just horrible. I woke up this morning with full charge, took the bus to work (about a 30 min treck) using the phone to surf forums the whole time. Got to work & I was at 63% battery!!

I have all the battery saving tips done as well...forgot my usb cable to charge at work so I pretty much let the phone sit there & its down to 30% from just sitting there!

Note to self: Carry charging cable at all times
I get about the same. It drains like crazy from just sitting there. I have it checking for 3 gmail accounts and 1 hotmail every hour and I'll lose battery. My DX has better battery life stock.

I'm in a very strong LTE area. I don't use Wifi at home at the moment. Trying to see how battery life is without doing a lot of tweaks.

All other syncable activities are disabled, weather and news. I don't have any social networking apps, not on facebook, twitter or myspace. I hope rooting and getting rid of bloat will fix this.

OP
jntdroid

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
well I just got the phone, so we'll see how my results are... :icon_eek:

for the DFW guy, I live/work up in Frisco, so we'll see!

Natejka7273

Reaction score
I got the phone on the 17th and live in a 4G area but am traveling in a 3g only area right now. The battery life is definitely better when using 3G only, but contrary to other people my battery life hasn't been so bad in either case. 4G usually lasts me for a whole day of light use or about 7-8 hours of heavy use. 3G I can get about 1.5x that though. Hopefully they'll include a 4G/3G toggle with the next software update. Suggestion: when watching movies, playing games, and/or not expecting any important messages or calls, turn airplane mode on. It will make your battery last much much longer and as a bonus will disable in-game advertisements :)