Questions about Droid

mjpetty20

Reaction score
I'm currenly thinking about buying a Droid when I upgrade my contract. Im currently using a Blackberry Pearl 8130. I have heard some people talking about how the battery life can be bad on the Motorola Droid, and I was just wondering if that has any truth to it. I was also worried about txting on touch screen since I have bigger hands and was just curious how hard it is to get use to txtin with touch screen. P.S I know that I can also txt on the key pad.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
I'm currenly thinking about buying a Droid when I upgrade my contract. Im currently using a Blackberry Pearl 8130. I have heard some people talking about how the battery life can be bad on the Motorola Droid, and I was just wondering if that has any truth to it. I was also worried about txting on touch screen since I have bigger hands and was just curious how hard it is to get use to txtin with touch screen. P.S I know that I can also txt on the key pad.

With any 'all touch' display, meaning very, very few keys, you are going to have a shorter battery life than an all keyboard phone. Not only is it a full touch display but it's a HUGE screen. The display takes up 90ish% of the battery consumption. So yes, you will notice a decrease in battery life compared to the Pearl. But you will also have better usability and functionality. It's very user friendly and easy to adjust to.

That being said, with moderate-heavish use, I can get 10-12 hours out of my phone. If I have limited use I can get almost two days. If I am using it heavily: internet browsing, music running, texting, games for a straight through period of time(all while be over clocked) I can get 4-5 hours of constant use.

A lot of people here either A) have a travel charger or B) carry an extra battery JUST in case we want to sit for 5 hours and play our Nintendo emulators :p

I don't have big hands, so I have little problem with the phone and I can't actually comment on it, but many a man on this forum has mentioned they have bigger hands and have little to no problem texting or using the screen.

bllarkin

Reaction score
I have gotten quite adjusted to the on-screen keyboard, it is quite a departure from a physical one, though, for sure.

In regards to battery life, with normal daily use (work and personal email accounts, Twitter updating every 10 minutes, texting, a little web), I can easily go from 6 am to 11 pm without needing to charge. You are not going to get the kind of battery life out of it as you do your Blackberry, but a full day charge usually is not an issue.

OP
M

mjpetty20

Reaction score
Thanks guys, What are some different places to get apps from? I was also wondering I read some other cons and someone said that you cant get your phone to vibrate before a txt message instead of just a tone.

bllarkin

Reaction score
Most people just use the Android Market (it is on the phone, much like the iPhone's App Store) to get applications. In regards to the vibrating on reception of a text message, yes you can do that. There is an option on the Messaging application.