Question about Tethering with the Bionic 4g vs. 3g

mschoono

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know that wifi tethering with the Bionic doesn't work the same way as it used to on my DX, and that the Radiocomm hack won't really cover your tracks.
What I want to know is, does this only apply when you're tethering on 4g LTE? If I were to disable LTE and use CDMA only, would that use the same authentication as the older 3g phones did? I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear, so let me know if that makes sense.
-m

pchmst

Reaction score
I've been using the sql method of allowing tethering that can be found on Droidbionicroot.com

I've never had an issue being charged extra.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

OP
M

mschoono

Reaction score
while i appreciate the responses, my question wasn't how to tether. I know how to do that, and it works fine. my question was whether or not tethering with 3g is traceable in the same way 4g is, because of the method of authentication. I was told that because of the use of the SIM card, there was a difference between how the 3g phones like my DX tethered and how my Bionic tethers with 4g.

toy4x4

Reaction score
What is meant by traceable? What are you trying to achieve? ... Are you just trying to run the wifi tether (Hotspot) feature without Activating via VZW and paying extra $ per month to use this feature while sharing the same already purchased bandwidth of the smartphone... Or are you referring to something else here?

dfcfu342

Reaction score
Anything is traceable but VZW doesn't go after anyone. People have been tethering for quite awhile and no one has ever reported even a letter. AT&T actually sent out cease and desist letters but Big Red seems to have bigger fish to fry.