Qualcomm Shows Off Their Snapdragon 800 in Mini-Theater Demo at MWC

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Why do people buy a Corvette instead of a Prius? : )

Bad comparison.

Our ears can't experience 7.1 surround on a tablet. Our eyes can't see better than 720p on a tablet (unless it's several feet away from you, and then who would watch it).

Heck, for all we know they are just saying that's what it's doing - nobody could ever tell it was a lie.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Bad comparison.

Our ears can't experience 7.1 surround on a tablet. Our eyes can't see better than 720p on a tablet (unless it's several feet away from you, and then who would watch it).

Heck, for all we know they are just saying that's what it's doing - nobody could ever tell it was a lie.

OK, so you are right...a tablet isn't going to reproduce the 7.1 surround effect - from speakers in the tablet itself. And nobody said it would. You are also right (to an extent) that a tablet with 4K HD for a display would be overkill...and I don't think we'll ever see such a display in the sizes that are used for tablets...but again, nobody said it would be the display IN the tablet.

Let's try this one more time...

There are MYRIAD of examples where both 7.1 surround sound and 4K HD video support would be highly desirable in the business world. Corporate reps who want to immerse their potential sales clients in the newest and most modern of technologies to really "showcase" their products could carry a tablet, a HD projector (anybody see Laser projection as the next logical step?), and a portable 7.1 wireless speaker system, place the speakers around the boardroom, pull down the screen at the front of the room, and totally wow the boardmembers with their AV presentation of whatever product they manufacture, from highly specialized CNC components, to intricate mechanical working apparatus, to cars, boats, cruise ships, the newest private jets, to architecture, land development, travel services, the list goes on and on.

Again, I don't believe this demonstration was designed sell the tablet and to be a single user, "tablet and you" experience (though they DO have 7.1 surround headphones that run on the next generation of Bluetooth). As you've pointed out, the screen is far too small to benefit from 4K HD. Even if the screen were 300 PPI and 10.1" diag it's only 3.9MP, so you'd need to go to nearly 450PPI to approach the +8MP resolution of the 4K HD on a tablet display...well beyond what is generally considered perceptible by the human eye. It's widely claimed that at the typical viewing distance of a tablet - 15", you only need 264PPI to approach imperceptible pixels.

The key to this demonstration was also not to sell tablets with 4K HD and 7.1 sound, I believe, but instead to show off the power of the Snapdragon 800 chipset. Using a tablet as the engine was overkill and to drive home the point - incredible power in a tiny and very power-efficient package and stability even when pushed to the extreme. That said, I do believe we'll see this level of AV resolution and sound (at least in output through ports), in a tablet in the near future. Count me in... :biggrin:

Last edited:

Gremlin

Reaction score
Why would any one want to hook up a tablet to a tv? because we are geeks and we can :p

dfcfu342

Reaction score
You give benchmarks and people say what can it do in real world applications then you give them real world applications and then they just scoff. Can't win can they?

I think its thoroughly impressive and remember that any device with a Snapdragon 800 can do that, even a small netbook.