Qualcomm Upgrades Mobile Chip Lineup : Introduces Snapdragon 800, 600, 400 Series

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez

Snapdragon-800.jpg

Paul Jacobs, chief executive of Qualcomm just announced Snapdragon 800 and Snapdragon 600 series during his opening keynote speech at CES 2013.

The Snapdragon 800 is the high end processor that has quad core Krait 400 CPU and Adreno 330 GPU. It would offer speeds of up to 2.3 GHz per core and up to 75 percent better performance than the Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro processors. It can also play UltraHD or 4K videos and has built in 4G LTE Cat 4 and 802.11ac support.

The Snapdragon 600 series has quad-core Krait 300 CPU running at up to 1.9 GHz and Adreno 320 GPU that offers 40% better performance than the Snapdragon S4 Pro processor. The company has also announced Snapdragon 400 series of processors for mid-range phones and Snapdragon 200 series aimed at entry level smartphones.

Jacobs said the new chips will be able to transfer data at 150 megabits per second, or far faster than the available wireless data networking technologies currently available on smartphones. On top of that, the chips will be able to transfer data using the powerful new computer networking protocol, 802.11ac, which is set to replace 802.11n as the fastest computer networking standard.

Features of new Qualcomm Snapdragon Processors

Snapdragon 800 Processors – quad-core Krait 400 CPU, Adreno 330 GPU, 4G LTE Cat 4 and 802.11ac, UltraHD 4K video support DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus and 7.1 surround sound, Dual Image Signal Processors (ISPs) up to 55MP. aimed at premium smartphones, Smart TVs, digital media adapters and tablets.
Snapdragon 600 Processors – quad-core Krait 300 CPU, Adreno 320 GPU, LPDDR3 RAM, aimed at mid-high tier smartphones and tablets.
Snapdragon 400 Processors - aimed at high volume smartphones and tablets.
Snapdragon 200 Processors – aimed at entry level smartphones.

The Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 and the Snapdragon 600 processors are expected to be available in commercial devices by mid-2013.

Source: PCMag

jspradling7

Reaction score
Wow. 2.3 plus LTE and AC.
*giggles like a school girl*

Put that in a Moto Nexus 4.7" 2560x1600 with a 3000+ removable battery and msd slot... ah hech, go ahead and put an hdmi port on it too. I'll take two please. ;)

Last edited:

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
It sounds like there are going to be some badass phones coming out around the time my contract with Big Red is up. I wonder how much I'll have to pay out of pocket for a device with the Snapdragon 800 powering it?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or are mobile chips developing at such a pace they will soon overtake laptop chips?

I just bought a high-powered, relatively expensive Sony ultrabook. It has a 3rd gen i7...dual core (two threads each) running at 1.9ghz. The Snapdragon 800 would seem to be a little more powerful (although I've always wondered if the reported ghz are comparable).

Anyone realize what a gamechanger chip advances could be for MS? I would love to ditch my laptop and just carry a Win8 phone and maybe a tablet - because I, like many people, still need to run powerful Office applications...and so I'm going to want/need Win8 on my phone.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe the thing I'm missing is caching. Maybe the mobile/Android chips don't do that or don't need to, but that's a big difference in performance as well. If they really want phones to rival and push laptop/desktop processors and be a real alternative as a 3-in-1 device they maybe need to start focusing on chip "ram(?)". 2ghz is plenty fast enough for even some of the more intensive Office apps, obviously not gaming but if these chips were to rival laptop processors they need to work on the other half of the power equation.