Put my SD Card in another phone... where'd my stuff go?

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm new to the whole "phones using SD cards" thing. A friend of mine wanted an mp3 ringtone that I had made and put on my phone. She has a Samsung Gravity on the Tmobile network. So I pulled my SD Card out and she put it into her phone to copy over the mp3. When she turned her phone back on, she said she didn't see the files. I figured that it was just not compatable with her phone so I took it back. When I put it back into my phone everything I had on it was no longer found. MP3s, pictures and videos were all empty. I then mounted my phone to my computer and noticed that the file folders were all different (I am now guessing that the Gravity added it's own files when she started her phone.) All of the folders were totally empty except for a few 1kb files that were in one of the folders. However, when I looked at the properties of the card, it said that 213kb of the 237kb was being used. So I am assuming my files *are* still on the card but due to whatever the Gravity did to it is making the files inaccessable.

Another odd thing is that, in the properties it says there is a total of 237kb on my micro SD (Meaning that it's a 256 meg card). However, on the card itself it says 16GB. So I'm confused. Shouldn't there be more than 237kb? I also now, get a message when I try to take video saying that my card is almost full.

Have I stupidly lost all of my information? or is there any way to get my files back? Also, is my card a 16GB or a 256meg?

Last edited:
Reaction score
there are 1000kb in 1mb and 1000mb in 1gb, thus what you are saying makes no sense size wise.

but anyway sounds like the phone went and reformated the sd card so yeah...your data is gone

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the Gravity put it own partition on it or did something to create its own 'space' (not sure that partition is the correct term for SD cards). Either that or it corrupted the data on the card along with all but the remaining 256M.

Try putting card directly into a computer and see of the OS can 'see' the rest of the card directly (i.e. not having it mounted through the phone). If that fails you'll likely have to try to format it to see if you can open up the rest of the card.

You've learned a valuable lesson though, you NEVER let someone else use you SD card, ESPECIALLY when they are on a different phone. Either email files or transfer via a computer or something else but SD cards get corrupted way to easily. Good luck.

OP
L

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
gonnadie4thegov: yes, exactly, it doesn't make sense. But I think what KZI is saying might be correct. I just have to find a way to put it into my computer.... I have an SD slot, perhaps my sis has a micro SD -> SD cartridge

OP
L

LordBalthazar

Reaction score
Ok, I put my Micro SD into a USB adapter and viewed it on my PC. It looked exactly the same as it does on my phone.

I went into Disk Management and it is reporting my SD Card (named KFAT1) as having 14.94GB, and is being reported that it is the Healthy, Primary partition. However, when I right click on the partition and view the properties, it still is showing that there is a total of 237kb total space on the "drive" (with 0 space free, yet all the folders are still empty).

I also read somewhere, where Windows cannot view multiple partitions on SD cards but MACs can. I tried viewing the card on a friend's mac (via the usb adapter), but all he could see was the main partition that I can see on my PC, is there a trick to seeing the multiple partition on the mac?

Any ideas?

Last edited: