Pursued by an ad

cutiedroid

Reaction score
How can I stop this one ad from piggy-backing onto to every internet site that I visit? It's not hurting anything, it's just there. There's another one that follows me around but not to the extent as the main one. Thanks

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OlafTheOx

Reaction score
Install AdFree from the market, and run once to load your hosts file with ad sites to block.. I very rarely see ads. When I do, I just run the program again to update the hosts file, if one is available.

DInc with Incredibly Re-engineered 2.4

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
^but you risk being blocked out of some ads. Personally never happened to me. Regardless I dont think adfree is the proper solution. I think you might have a spyware app on your phone. Check apps that are using permissions they shouldn't need.

Last edited:
OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
I must've not said the right thing in the OP. This follow-me ad only shows up when I'm surfing. So whatever site I land on there the little ad is. I'm using Dolphin Mini, but I don't think it's Mini's fault, but I don't know what to use, what app, to hunt down the persistentware and get rid of it.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I don't think it's Mini's fault, but I don't know what to use, what app, to hunt down the persistentware and get rid of it.

Every app you have installed. You can create an appbrain list though and post it, maybe some one will spot something known to be a bad app.

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
How about a screenshot or picture?

No screenshot; not rooted. But, the ad is for a clothing specialty store. Just a few minutes ago I went on a familiar site and there it was. This particular ad is only 2 lines as opposed to a chaser that came complete with rolling pictures of its product. But something that I noticed this time is the ad is sponsored by Google. I looked on the Settings page but there's only 5 items to tick. I said "no" to the last 2 regarding location usage, but that didn't work.

Snow02

Reaction score
Google uses targeted marketing. Due to your search history, mail, etc., they've determined you're more likely to click that ad, over some other ad. Simple as that. Nothing to be done about it.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Targeted ads can be disabled on Android (assuming it is a google admob ad following you). It is done through the android market. You have to hit the menu key while in the market then click settings. Talk about being hidden.

Personally I think there is a huge advertising bubble that is about to burst similar to the dotcom bubble about 10 years ago. There are so many companies that are ad supported but nobody ever buys anything from an internet ad.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Snow02

Reaction score
It's not an admob thing. It's an adwords thing.

Snow02

Reaction score
Targeted ads can be disabled on Android (assuming it is a google admob ad following you). It is done through the android market. You have to hit the menu key while in the market then click settings. Talk about being hidden.

Personally I think there is a huge advertising bubble that is about to burst similar to the dotcom bubble about 10 years ago. There are so many companies that are ad supported but nobody ever buys anything from an internet ad.

Ever searched for something on the internet to buy, then bought it? You just participated in an advertising-facilitated purchase whether you realise it or not.

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score

I went to the MarketPlace settings and unticked the ads or not box, went over to the site I mentioned earlier, but the ad was still there. I buy all sorts of stuff from the Internet but this is just the second time I've picked up such chaseware. I'll ocassionally click on an ad, but they're usually not products I'm interested in in the first place. So I wonder if I clicked on this chaser that it will satisfy the ad's requirements and stop chasing me.

kingsway8605

Reaction score

Ever searched for something on the internet to buy, then bought it? You just participated in an advertising-facilitated purchase whether you realise it or not.

99.9% of the ads are websites, the ads that fund the websites, are not the result of a search. Most people just block these ads.

kingsway8605

Reaction score

I went to the MarketPlace settings and unticked the ads or not box, went over to the site I mentioned earlier, but the ad was still there. I buy all sorts of stuff from the Internet but this is just the second time I've picked up such chaseware. I'll ocassionally click on an ad, but they're usually not products I'm interested in in the first place. So I wonder if I clicked on this chaser that it will satisfy the ad's requirements and stop chasing me.

NOOOO! If you feed a mouse do you think it will go away?

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
From experience no. I won't intentionally click on an ad, and I think I'll just have to live with it chasing me around.