Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I know there's a few out there that doesn't like ads, I know I don't. One of the 1st apps I install is adaway. So while surfing Google+, I saw something about less ads. Click bait or not I was on it. It was about contributing money to see less ads. And the money you contributed would fund sites you visited. Sounded good to me so I went in $2 a month & so far its been OK.

Curious if anyone else was using Google Contributor. I don't see many ads on this phone. But only using Chrome on my work phone, I still see some ads. But still see many places where it says "Thanks for being a Contributor"

Link: None

Tapped from a Nexus 6

Last edited:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Never heard of it.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
wait this is like a month....

eh ill just sign up for youtube red.

OP
CJM

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
wait this is like a month....

eh ill just sign up for youtube red.
My bad, I did post year. It is a monthly subscription.

The part that appealed to me was contributing to the sites I visit. This forum shows up in my top 5 contributions. National Geographic is #1, sorry guys

Tapped from a Nexus 6

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I never heard of it either.. Seems to be a well hidden secret...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I swear I heard about this a while ago here on this forum. I'm not really bothered by ads. If you have too many to the point that I can't enjoy your content, I just avoid your site.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'd rather pay as I go. But I understand it's an administrative hassle for the site owners. I waste at least a couple of bucks a month.

Hmmmm.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hmm, I like this idea. Just the idea that it supports sites that I visit frequently is a nice idea.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Heard this mentioned on TWiT. If I remember right this is the 'morally correct' alternative but some people view it as a small form of extortion because companies that use Contributor will obviously be getting 'better viewed' ads or content. I say that it's just hogwash and tend to agree with the former. Google is trying to make web a better place in my opinion.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Let's think about this in the spirit of "Capitalism". And before anyone says that's a bad word, consider the alternatives.

1.) Everything has a cost. Servers, Software, Internet Connectivity.
2.) If capital can't make a return on investment, that capital ($$) will go somewhere it can.
3.) Ads are annoying as all *&^% but they do provide the return on investment for a large majority of the content we consume.
4.) If we use the Pay To Play model, then we'll be limited to the providers who can "afford" to deal with the collection of revenue ... in this day and age that's not as difficult as it was say 5 years ago, but still an added complexity.
5.) If everyone were like me, we'd be slowly losing content, since I block the revenue stream.

In the end I think this is an excellent idea, I'm gonna sign up.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Let's think about this in the spirit of "Capitalism". And before anyone says that's a bad word, consider the alternatives.

1.) Everything has a cost. Servers, Software, Internet Connectivity.
2.) If capital can't make a return on investment, that capital ($$) will go somewhere it can.
3.) Ads are annoying as all *&^% but they do provide the return on investment for a large majority of the content we consume.
4.) If we use the Pay To Play model, then we'll be limited to the providers who can "afford" to deal with the collection of revenue ... in this day and age that's not as difficult as it was say 5 years ago, but still an added complexity.
5.) If everyone were like me, we'd be slowly losing content, since I block the revenue stream.

In the end I think this is an excellent idea, I'm gonna sign up.
Very good point. And people want to treat capitalism like it's a bad thing until we see our paycheck or the boss man ask us to take a pay cut. It takes money to make money and wages and benefits cost money.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk