proximity sensor

MrsDebbi

Reaction score
When I make a call, my sceen no longer blanks and my face pushes buttons. Why all of a sudden did this start?

OP
M

MrsDebbi

Reaction score
No. Its been doing this for a week and I even uninstalled recent added apps

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Possibility the proximity sensor is defective? Usually problems with the sensor are it doesn't 'wake up' the phone.... first I've seen that it won't let the phone 'sleep' while on call.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I have only had my Droid for about a week, but I have seen it do a couple crazy things from time to time as I add and remove apps. So far, I have always been able to get it "back to normal" by simply turning it off, waiting a few seconds, and turning it back on again.

If you try that and still have the issue, I'm not sure what it could be. I am looking through settings, but I can't locate anything that could cause this, or fix it.

OP
M

MrsDebbi

Reaction score
I have often wondered if it was my case, my skin, my screen protector or an installed app.
I am hesitant to remove the screen protector or skin, as I paid several $$ for them, and as far as I can recall, the sensor worked after I installed the skin & screen protector. I have also removed batter for 5 minutes with no luck restoring the sensor.

crspang

Reaction score
Are you using a screen protector? If so try removing or trimming the piece over the sensor.

Guchi

Reaction score
just wondering if you tried a battery pull? if not give that a try because mine was doing that it fixed it

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I have often wondered if it was my case, my skin, my screen protector or an installed app.
I am hesitant to remove the screen protector or skin, as I paid several $$ for them, and as far as I can recall, the sensor worked after I installed the skin & screen protector. I have also removed battery for 5 minutes with no luck restoring the sensor.

just wondering if you tried a battery pull? if not give that a try because mine was doing that it fixed it

:icon_ devil:

luckmylife

Reaction score
Do you have long hair or a beard by any chance? There are some other threads on here about that messing up the sensor. I have pretty long hair but haven't had any problems with the sensor (yet).

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If all else fails might be time to take a trip to VZW. See if they can replicate that issue, in which case you should get a replacement.

OP
M

MrsDebbi

Reaction score
Do you have long hair or a beard by any chance? There are some other threads on here about that messing up the sensor. I have pretty long hair but haven't had any problems with the sensor (yet).
I read that thread too, when hunting for issues with the sensor. So I made sure my hair was pulled up when testing. BUT, prior to the discovery of this problem, my long hair is usually in a ponytail and didn't cause an issue before.... Before WHEN is my puzzle. Before the skin or after, before an app install?

Anyone know where the sensor is located?

I am about to remove the front skin from my phone (and probably the screen protector too) and see what happens. if this DOESN'T fix it, I'll be grumpy that I removed the skin and watsted the money by removing it when I didn't need to.:mad:

OP
M

MrsDebbi

Reaction score
If all else fails might be time to take a trip to VZW. See if they can replicate that issue, in which case you should get a replacement.
I thought of that too, but waiting in line for 1.5 hours doesn't thrill me.
I'll try the skin removal first and see.
I also used Astro to back up my phone to the SD card.

OP
M

MrsDebbi

Reaction score
Skin was the issue.
My question remains however, where is the location of the proximity sensor?