Problems with Droid Camera? (Rooted 2.10)

alansupra94

Reaction score
Well I noticed, that when I take pictures, the flash from the reflection can be seen in the people's eyes that I am taking the camera picture of.

Is there an application/update to fix this?

Here is an example

2dj4gsy.jpg

Vitticeps

Reaction score
This is pretty much just good 'ol fashioned 'red eye'. This isn't something software can control. It has to do with the distance of the flash from the lens and on a phone they are on top of each other. To effectively prevent this you need at leas a few inches, preferably at least 3" or 4" between flash and lens, the further the better. This is why most point-n-shoot cameras put the flash in the far corner away from the lens and why most professionals use a bracket that puts the flash completely off the camera and well above the lens.

Some cameras have software to correct it digitally but I haven't seen a phone with that option yet.

Next best solution is to take the picture from a slight angle, not straight on. But that requires cooperation from the subjects to not look directly at the lens but slightly to one side. But even then you will still get some reflections. The human eye is highly reflective. The reflections are referred to as highlights in the photography world. Professionals will sometimes carefully decide where to place the lighting to get the highlights in the eyes just where they want them, they are actually desireable when done right. Look at almost any professionally done modeling photo and you'll see them.

OP
alansupra94

alansupra94

Reaction score
Wow...that was a great responce!

I guess I could just blur the highlights out later because I doubt I have the professional photo taking ability to do angles and all that jazz. That and my friends love smashing their face as close as possible to my phone lol

Thanks,
Alan