Problems trying to root my eris

mrm256

Reaction score
Finally taking the plunge in rooting my phone, but since I've started I've been unable to root my phone.

I downloaded the erisone one click root app.
I do a reboot via holding down the VolUp button and then press the Send and Power button.
After it reboots I shut it down.
Then I press the VolDWN button and power button to bring up the boot loader.

I only get these options:
FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIM LOCK

I select recovery and press power button to enable it.
The three little green men show up and STAY there for an hour (I've waited that long).

Fortunately, I can take my battery out and start over again and the phone boots to stock 2.1 firmware and I can use my phone.

I read that in this part of the rooting process a "flash from SDcard" option should be there, but I get NO such option.

I go to the file manager and see the "rootme.zip" file, so I know the erisone app does extract the file. That file is about 40KB in size.

I even did a factory reset, reinstalled the apps I needed, etc. and I'm still stuck at the third step in the rooting process!

So I'm posting here hoping someone knows what I did wrong or if I'm missing a file.

OP
M

mrm256

Reaction score
Ok. I tried doing another factory reset, only this time, it didn't fully reset. It gave me the same problem as I described.

The good news is that taking the battery out and putting it back in allowed the phone to boot up normally and back into the way it was before.

I don't know what to do now...

OP
M

mrm256

Reaction score
try this method, it's the safest way to root the eris. Universal Eris Root for Dummies! - Android Forums

Followed the directions to the T and still.

The guide shows screenshots of what's supposed to happen, which is great, but after Figure 30 my phone still does the same thing....

The HBOOT loader shows (version 1.47).

I ran the gscript twice and still nothing. *Per instructions of the guide, the recovery menu still would not show its own recovery menu, hence the reason I was still stuck.*

Sucks.

Last edited:

mamawm

Reaction score
i'm so sorry that you're still stuck. i wish i had a good solution for you but unfortunately i don't. one thing that puzzles me though, in you original post you said you only get these options:
FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIM LOCK
why is sim lock there? the eris is not a global phone and it is not a gsm phone and it doesn't have a sim card? very weird!
maybe one of the early guru's of the eris from way back in the beginning can take a look at this and help you out, i'm sorry i couldn't be of more assistance.

OP
M

mrm256

Reaction score
Although I tried the unrevoked method once, I decided to try that out one more time.

I found that its instructions should be re-written if you're using Vista or Win7 because in the step where it tells you to install HTSync and then uninstall it, the OS will uninstall the drivers with it making the program on the PC not recognize your phone.

So, what I had to do was simply reinstall HTSync (available at softpedia as HTC's site was not working). It initially installed the drivers then it continued to install HTCSync. I simply cancelled the Sync install after the driver installed. Then I continued with the unrevoked method and was successful.

I was confused at first because I still got to my HBOOT bootloader screen and it wasn't clear in the instructions if that was supposed to be there.. However, selecting Recovery finally brought up the menu I was supposed to see the whole time.

I was FINALLY able to root the phone.

Just got done setting up the V39 KaosFroyo. Looks very cool.

sjpritch25

Reaction score
Do you want full s-off. Those instructions are easier, but you need to be familiar with adb.

OP
M

mrm256

Reaction score
So far, the 2.2 has been great. I fixed the camera issue, since it would lock up. The GPS feature works the same and so do.

When I was on 2.1, phone calls would slow down the phone! I literally have to wait 30 seconds or so for the phone to get back to normal after making a phone call. Now its fast and can quickly get back to using an app or make another quick phone call.