Problems playing video (mp4/m4v)

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
When i first purchased my Droid (11/6), i ripped 5 full-length movies 854x480, h.264, mp4/m4v, single-pass encode, etc etc. using Handbrake they all worked flawlessly.

recently, i ripped a few more movies using the same method. and none of the new rips work. i tried other procedures: using two-passes, changing AR, switching on/off anamorphic, etc... (i've tried video player, cinema, and meridian).

audio plays, but there is no video. and yes, the rips do work on the PC.

on the other hand, the old rips are still on my SD card and they do work .

my phone is rooted with 2.0.1. i have done battery pulls, to no avail. i tried posting my issue in the "ideal video format" thread, but i feel this may need a thread itself.

coolkidd

Reaction score
Droid does not recognize .m4v files...... re-rip the movies again into .mp4

You will noticed your movies in the Gallery that it would only play those files with a movie icon (which is in .mp4).

I do not know if renaming them from .m4v to .mp4 would work but you can try it.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
regardless...

mp4 don't work :(

just want to find a solution short of a hard reset

D

dvdcatalyst

regardless...

mp4 don't work :(

just want to find a solution short of a hard reset

Just a wild guess. The movies that do work were ripped with an older version of Handbrake?

With the latest version of Handbrake a lot of things have changed. Based on their changelog : HandBrake it appears that quite a few things have changed from the previous version that affect conversions.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
@dvdcatalyst: i tried ripping a movie using Handbrake 0.9.3... and no luck, only getting Audio...

D

dvdcatalyst

@dvdcatalyst: i tried ripping a movie using Handbrake 0.9.3... and no luck, only getting Audio...

Basically select the iPhone profile, and leave the settings as is, try a rip that way to make sure it works. Then modify settings to your needs.

Do a search on these forums for Handbrake. There are some settings that people mentioned that work, but also some posts about issues people run into.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
i'll give it a shot, thanks a lot DVDcat... btw i've used your software in the past, and i found it to be the best ripping software out there... this was probably 4 or 5 years back. will give the new build a chance... :)

D

dvdcatalyst

i'll give it a shot, thanks a lot DVDcat... btw i've used your software in the past, and i found it to be the best ripping software out there... this was probably 4 or 5 years back. will give the new build a chance... :)

You are welcome,
A lot has changed in that time :)

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
@DVDCAT:

good news, kinda, using handbrake 0.9.3 i used the default iphone setting, and the movie worked... the quality was crap (relatively)... and the size of the movie was around 300mb (usually around a gig)...

D

dvdcatalyst

@DVDCAT:

good news, kinda, using handbrake 0.9.3 i used the default iPhone setting, and the movie worked... the quality was crap (relatively)... and the size of the movie was around 300mb (usually around a gig)...

Quality was to be expected, the iPhone setting in Handbrake has a lower resolution, ofcourse. However, now you have a base. Just change the settings to your liking and see what works.

D

dvdcatalyst

does dvd catalyst or handbrake trim frames from videos?

thanks

They both can reduce the framerate, not sure about Handbrake, but DVD Catalyst uses a 30fps setting as the limit, and picks whatever is less. either the selected framerate or the framerate of the original video.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
@DVDCAT:

good news, kinda, using handbrake 0.9.3 i used the default iPhone setting, and the movie worked... the quality was crap (relatively)... and the size of the movie was around 300mb (usually around a gig)...

Quality was to be expected, the iPhone setting in Handbrake has a lower resolution, ofcourse. However, now you have a base. Just change the settings to your liking and see what works.

thanks, now trying Iphone setting with 800x480 resolution

D

dvdcatalyst

I need to cut a portion of a video off what can I use? 10 seconds out of 30 seconds THANKS

Handbrake, no idea, in DVD Catalyst, in the preview you can set the start and stop position for the conversion so you can trim off the titling or selec a small portion of the video.