Problems connecting to Wifi, need help please.

OP
C

cparknson

Reaction score
Thanks, that would be great. I'd really like to get it going and if I have to root the phone so be it. Really didn't want to do that cause its all a little over my head. I'm a finance major not a not a computer programing major. Plus, like I've read on here, if you have to read about what rooting your phone is and does then you probably don't have a lot business doing it. LOL And that is defiantly me there. Guess I am gonna have to though to get the functionality out of my phone that I need because the only app I've seen to use it requires that your phone be rooted.

As for your friend saying that it drops the connection a lot, if the wifi he's hooking up to is anything like SIU's cisco system then its probably got a lot to do with their system. I absolutely hate theirs. It is very very spotty and if you just close the lid on your laptop for a second it disconnects and you have to punch in your user ID and password all over again. Its very annoying but its all we got so I've got to figure something out.

alex1moss7

Reaction score
Select which Wifi network to connect?

I have a related problem. I have several preferred wifi networks -- home, office, a few when traveling routinely to same places. But:

At both home and office, Droid sees *other* wifi networks that are not mine and tries to connect to those. I can't delete them unless Droid says they are "out of range," the whole point is that they are in range but not mine and I don't want to connect to them, don't have their passwords, can't use them anyway, etc.

At same time, my *preferred* networks show up as "remembered but not in range," when in fact I'm sitting right next to the router (at both home and work, same issue). There's no issue w/ the wifi signal -- I can connect to same router w/ other devices, and I have routinely been able to connect to same router w/ Droid in past, it's just routinely inconsistent in whether it sees that the router is actually there.

So:
1. How do I get Droid to ignore connections it sees but I don't want it to use?
2. How do I get Droid to see connections that have routinely worked, no settings have changed, I'm sitting right there, and Droid doesn't see them?

Thanks.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
So:
1. How do I get Droid to ignore connections it sees but I don't want it to use?

Can't. It is showing you all connections in range. It wont attempt to connect to secured networks automatically, it will just list them until you select one to connect to.

2. How do I get Droid to see connections that have routinely worked, no settings have changed, I'm sitting right there, and Droid doesn't see them?

If your network isn't showing up in the list then there is something else going on. If you are truly sitting "right next to the router", move away. Being too close is actually not a good thing. Also, try refreshing the list, try turning wifi off and back on, try rebooting the phone, try rebooting the router. Cover all the bases.

alex1moss7

Reaction score
My router *is* showing up in the list, but it is showing up as *not connected, out of range.* When I select it, the only option is to *delete* (b/c it's not "in range"). So I've done that, recreated the connection, it connects at that point. So the router / droid connection does work. But: each time I come back to office, that same wifi connection shows up as *not connected, out of range." Same thing w/ my saved connection at home. Delete & recreate is fine, but once created, somehow it doesn't connect...sometimes, and sometimes it does. I'm baffled.

earthcub

Reaction score
iPhone Works...

I don't understand why this is an issue but I'm using the exact same settings on the Droid that I'm using on the iPhone. The iPhone connects flawlessly but the Droid won't. It's and L2TP connection with a secret. I'd sure like to know what the difference is...

Xander Crews

Reaction score
If SIUC's setup is anything like SIUE's setup, they probably have two wireless connections because one is WIFI and the other is probably something like WPA.

WIFI isn't secure...WPA is secure.

Use WPA if at all possible.

Like another person said here, you have to install a certificate on your phone so you'll automatically be logged into the system when accessing the wireless connection. It's just a website that you go to on your phone's browser (IT should be able to give you the address...ask to speak to someone in Networking) and when it prompts you to install the certificate, you do so
It's not hard.

Then you go into your wireless settings, remove all existing wireless connections pertaining to SIUC that are already set up and set up a new one, (choose the WPA or secure connection), and choose the certificate you just downloaded, enter your username and password and that should be it.