Problem with e-mail setup

FountainBlue

Reaction score
I'm a new Bionic user and happy overall, but can't set up my e-mail, even though I had it working on the iPhone 3 and followed the same configuration. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Linda

bryan.teeples

Reaction score
From what I know you'll have to use the gmail app for gmail and the email app for other email. Might help if you post what app you are trying to use and what email provider.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
F

FountainBlue

Reaction score
Thanks - gmail is all set up. tried to set up other e-mail with the email app and have repeatedly failed. I copied the manual setup from my Outlook . . . must be missing something.

From what I know you'll have to use the gmail app for gmail and the email app for other email. Might help if you post what app you are trying to use and what email provider.

bryan.teeples

Reaction score
Hopefully one of the egg heads in here can help you. I forwarded all my emails to gmail so I only have one box to check.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Download k-9 mail and use that for everything but gmail.

bb_or_droid

Reaction score
I'm a new Bionic user and happy overall, but can't set up my e-mail, even though I had it working on the iPhone 3 and followed the same configuration. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Linda

Can you give us some details of the steps you are taking? It is a little hard to diagnose without a little more info.

OP
F

FountainBlue

Reaction score
E-mail problem now solved!

Thank you SSHGuru!
k-9 mail did not work for me as I had to keep forcing it to restart. But it connected me to another mail client MailDroid, which worked like a charm, the first time. The ad-supported version is free, and the non-add one is about $18 but may be worth it. I'll explore it later to see if it's configurable in some basic ways (signature, font, stuff like that), but will likely go with the paid version.
Thanks again!
Linda

Download k-9 mail and use that for everything but gmail.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Weird k9 has always been rock solid for me. It's been the go to mail program for years.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can use Gmail app for all mail. Here is a paragraph from a "Battery Saving" thread I posted a long time ago. Hope it helps.

Emails: I don't know what email app you use, but try this. It saves battery power and in some cases emails arrive quicker. This scheme will have you using only the Gmail app on the phone for all email accounts whether they are pop3 accounts or Gmail. Go to the Google Gmail inbox on your computer and log into the Gmail account. On the top right of the screen is an option called Settings. In there is an option to have the Gmail program poll your regular, non-Gmail accounts (From the inbox; Settings/Accounts & Import/ Check mail using POP3). Provide the email address and the password. The Google Gmail program will then poll your other accounts on a frequency from 1-5 minutes and push the email immediately to your phone. The polling frequency is determined by each account's activity - more emails = faster polling. This saves battery power because on the android OS pop3 accounts are polled at a frequency of 1-30 minutes and that really eats battery. Because the phone goes and checks those accounts for mail whether there is mail there or not

Also, when an email account can not be successfully setup, it is due to the Pop and SMTP ports being wrong. Try a google search for you carrier and "email Ports" and then try every one of the various port numbers that you find. I initially had to do that with my Cox Communications email two years ago. I found that Cox normally uses Port 25 for outgoing (SMTP) mail, but on a cell phone it requires Port 587 or 465. Good luck.

OP
F

FountainBlue

Reaction score
I did try it and I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I got a 'force restart' twice before deciding to go with another mail client, which worked the first time.

Weird k9 has always been rock solid for me. It's been the go to mail program for years.