Problem Updating to Android 4.1

daeden

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My Droid 4 is running Andriod 4.0.4 and is rooted. Some months ago Motorola released OTA update to 4.1 and I have not been able to upgrade. The installation gets about 1/3 of the way through before it fails giving me almost no information to debug the problem.

I was confused by the problem and then remembered that I installed ClockWordMod some time ago and that it installed a ClockWorkMod Recovery something-or-other. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure what it did. As such, I have a few questions:

1. Did it overwrite something that is preventing the OTA update to 4.1?
  2. Where is the bootloader physically stored?
  3. Is it the same physical memory as the OS, but on a different partition?

I attempted to fix my problem by installing SafeStrap 3.11, downloading the Android 4.1 OTA update and installing manually. This however, failed during the flashing process for some reason. I then attempted to skip over the update and jump to a custom ROM called Eclipse JB. However, I then found out that one cannot upgrade to the version of Eclipse JB based on 4.1 until applying the 4.1 OTA. HOW FRUSTRATING!

Why is this so? Does the OTA update modify the bootloader as well?

Thanks in advance for the responses!

Last edited:

GigaJake

Reaction score
There are several things that can factor into failing an OTA, like tampered system apps, custom recoveries, etc. Additionally, OTA's should not be flashed as a custom rom. Perhaps not the bootloader itself, but an OTA does modify major components of the phone like the kernel.

While I can't answer your bootloader specific questions, the easiest method for upgrading to the JB OTA, is to go to your stock system, uninstall safestrap, and fastboot the official JB sbf file using RSD Lite.

Instructions for fastbooting can be found in my thread here:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=239333

Official JB sbf file here:
http://sbf.droid-developers.org/cdma_maserati/list.php
(You'll want the Feb version of 4.1.2)

And Eclipse JB is not kexec based, meaning you need the official JB kernel which comes packed in the JB upgrade.

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

plaztek98

Reaction score
Maybe because your counter needs reset...
Triangle away is what i used to reset mine
Pls read the warnings before you try IF you try it
To be exact i used voodoo root keeper 1st,then nandroid backup,then triangle,root keeper again,and ran update..worked for me,hope for someone else oo

~R¤¤ted~

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
Maybe because your counter needs reset...
Triangle away is what i used to reset mine
Pls read the warnings before you try IF you try it
To be exact i used voodoo root keeper 1st,then nandroid backup,then triangle,root keeper again,and ran update..worked for me,hope for someone else oo

~R¤¤ted~

you used triangle away on a motorola device?

plaztek98

Reaction score
Yes, but on razr , Droid 3, the others weren't motos
This is S3 the other was LG chocolate, few family members used it..but I can't recall what they had
Noone complained

~R¤¤ted~

OP
D

daeden

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your responses guys.

I will not have time to test these solutions until the weekend, but I will post an update as soon as possible!

-Daeden