Can't Root JB?

Discussion in 'Droid 4 Tech Support' started by SylenThunder, Apr 3, 2013.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've tried about every different combination of USB cable, USB port and USB mode. Nothing works.. I'm extremely frustrated.

Before I wide the data and do a factory reset, is there a backup utility that can restore my phone to perfection after a factory reset/rooting? Titanium Backup would have been up to the task, but without root... arg...

2. me_droid

me_droid Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Check smart actions and see if battery saver already exists. This happened to me and each time I ran the exploit it added another battery saver, as in battery saver1, 2 etc. Delete any battery saver actions you find and then in the app management in settings clear data for smart actions. Mine was in mtp mode also and that setting worked.

3. New Daddy

New Daddy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Are you with Verizon?

4. me_droid

me_droid Member

Ratings:
    +2
    yes, verizon. any luck?

5. New Daddy

New Daddy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No luck. So I'm looking for a back-up app that can save all the app data without root before factory-reset, and you know what? There IS such app, but it runs on anything but Droid! (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup)
    I think I'm royally screwed with the JB update on Droid 4.

6. GigaJake

GigaJake Member

Ratings:
    +17
    The Razr Blade method does work on a Verizon Droid 4. I've rooted my JB device twice now using this utility.

Keep trying, keep following others advice, don't give up!

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

7. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    Correct. I saved/protected root with OTA Rootkeeper but then went back and flashed the JB fastboot files wiping out everything. Razr_blade root method worked perfectly getting root back on a completely factory fresh (wiped) and fastbooted JB Verizon Droid 4.

8. New Daddy

New Daddy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't doubt that a fresh-reset can be rooted with Razr_blade. That's what I'll be forced to do if nothing else works - factory reset the phone and root.

But for people who did not keep their root with OTA Rootkeeper and try to root an ICS-rooted phone, it looks like Razr_blade is having trouble rooting the phone. Yes, I understand that there are success stories, so I'll keep trying.

9. aklabs

aklabs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What I had to do was a factory reset and then rooted. It worked perfectly after trying 3 different rooting files and switching 2 cables and numerous USB ports on my PC.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

10. New Daddy

New Daddy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    With a back-up program with no root - I'm thinking of using My Backup Pro, how much can you salvage after a factory reset? For example, can you re-generate your 3-rd party home screen with a back-up app with no root (I use Go Launcher)?

If I can't re-generate my home screen and other set-up, I might as well just stay unrooted until a better root utility comes up. For me, the only reason to root the phone is to us Titanium Backup so I can keep the app data. But if I lose all the app data for good in the process of rooting the phone (by factory reset), rooting the phone just to be able to use Titanium Backup doesn't make sense.

11. SylenThunder

SylenThunder Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I know it's been a while, and I don't want to get dinged for necro-ing my own thread, but....

I finally managed to get it rooted. Mainly it's taken me this long because I started a new contract with a new company and it's been rather busy.

Anyway, I'm not certain exactly what the issue preventing me from rooting was, but I narrowed it down to two possibilities.
    A. Using a 64-bit OS. (Could never get that damn 64-bit motorola driver update to install.)
    B. My Security software was blocking it. Even after disabling everything, I find BitDefender still manages to find a way to protect me from myself. ADB just could either never find the device, or it would lose it during the root process.

So, I used a system with Win-7 32-bit and no antivirus software whatsoever. Plugged in with the stock USB charger cable, ran the razor tool to root it, borked the first time (I think was my fault for not confirming a prompt on the phone), and worked flawlessly the second time.

No I am happily rooted and can finally kill some of those crap programs Verizon insists I need running. Really considering running the latest Cyanogen ROM though. Already installed SafeStrap, just got to figure out how to clear enough space for the ROM, and then figure out the rest of the process.
    (You know how it is. I know just enough to get me in trouble, and I'm afraid of bricking my phone, but dammit, I'll probably poke at it anyway and experiment.)

12. New Daddy

New Daddy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    This may be an isolated incident, but I'm experiencing media/phone sound issues after rooting my Droid 4. The phone has no sound for 90% of the time.

Has anyone else experienced similar sound issue after rooting?
    How do yo un-root the phone? I'd like to find out if rooting was the cause of the problem.

Search tags for this page

bionic 4.1.2 root

can razr blade root be used on droid bionic
cannot root droid 4 with jb
droid bionic 4.1.2 root

how to root droid bionic 4.1.2

root bionic 4.1.2

root bionic jb

root droid bionic jb
root droid bionic jb 4.1.2
root jb 4.1.2 bionic