Can't Root JB?

SylenThunder

Reaction score
OK, so here I am with my Droid4. It's been rooted since about a week after I got it with GB on it. Got the OTA update to ICS and the phone retained root without any issues. Just recently got JB OTA, and I lost root. Well, partially, some things acted fine when they needed root access, others didn't. SO I poked around a bit, and most of the tools tell me it's not rooted anymore.

So I do some research, make sure Motorola Device Manager has me updated with the latest driver, get the Razr root exploit, and attempt to re-root my phone. It's no go. I have USB Debugging on, it's set to MTP mode, and everything should be ready to rock and roll.

But it's not rockin' and a rollin'. Here's what I get.
Code:
[*]
[*] Motorola Razr ICS Root Exploit (Windows version)
[*] by Dan Rosenberg (@djrbliss)
[*]
[*] Before continuing, ensure USB debugging is enabled, that you
[*] have the latest Motorola drivers installed, and that your phone
[*] is connected via USB.
[*]
[*] Press enter to root your phone...
Press any key to continue . . .
[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
And there it will sit, for hours and hours. Not doing anything.

I tried with another release, and this is what I get...
Code:
[*]
[*] Razr Blade: Motorola Droid Razr 4.1 Root Exploit (Windows version)
[*]
[*] Thanks to p3droid for assistance in testing.
[*]
[*] Note: this will not work on Razr HD, Razr M, etc.
[*]
[*]
[*] Please carefully follow any instructions provided in the exploit.
[*]
[*]
Again, it just sits there.

Now the second release, came with about 400MB of other stuff (ROM's ect.) and drivers. Well supposedly drivers. And if I google the drivers, I get many web pages toting this file as the latest driver...
Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.9.0_64bit.msi

Unfortunately, trying to actually run it doesn't work because it goes looking for Motorola_Mobile_Drivers_64bit.msi in some temp folder that doesn't exist.

Finally, here's the data from my phone. (I think.)
System Version: 98.72.18.xt894.Verizon.en.US
Android Version 4.1.2
And of course, it's a Droid 4

sikassdrummer

Reaction score
OK, so here I am with my Droid4. It's been rooted since about a week after I got it with GB on it. Got the OTA update to ICS and the phone retained root without any issues. Just recently got JB OTA, and I lost root. Well, partially, some things acted fine when they needed root access, others didn't. SO I poked around a bit, and most of the tools tell me it's not rooted anymore.

So I do some research, make sure Motorola Device Manager has me updated with the latest driver, get the Razr root exploit, and attempt to re-root my phone. It's no go. I have USB Debugging on, it's set to MTP mode, and everything should be ready to rock and roll.

But it's not rockin' and a rollin'. Here's what I get.
Code:
[*]
[*] Motorola Razr ICS Root Exploit (Windows version)
[*]
[*]
[*]
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
And there it will sit, for hours and hours. Not doing anything.

I tried with another release, and this is what I get...
Code:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
Again, it just sits there.

Now the second release, came with about 400MB of other stuff (ROM's ect.) and drivers. Well supposedly drivers. And if I google the drivers, I get many web pages toting this file as the latest driver...
Motorola_End_User_Driver_Installation_5.9.0_64bit.msi

Unfortunately, trying to actually run it doesn't work because it goes looking for Motorola_Mobile_Drivers_64bit.msi in some temp folder that doesn't exist.

Finally, here's the data from my phone. (I think.)
System Version: 98.72.18.xt894.Verizon.en.US
Android Version 4.1.2
And of course, it's a Droid 4

ok so every one uses razorblade it doesn't work now iam trying droid 4 utilities but still can not root either but heres some info
There is a great tutorial on how to upgrade the droid 4 to JellyBean and have a working Pageplus config. The Fastboot JellyBean files for the D4 are released so now it will be no problem to recover the phone if there are complications on the way.

Credit Goes to snoop1979 on howardforums with his method on getting the Droid RAZR/MAXX to work with Pageplus on JellyBean. The same steps can apply to the droid 4. The only difference is the SBF file you use on the Droid 4. The one on his tutorial is ONLY for the Droid RAZR/MAXX. Using it on the Droid 4 will just instantly brick the phone. Below is a link to his amazing tutorial.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...NG-on-PagePlus

The link below is the correct SBF file to use with RSD LITE for the DROID 4

Droid-Developers SBF

Happy Flashing, and Good Luck,
jeanr464

sikassdrummer

Reaction score
There is a great tutorial on how to upgrade the droid 4 to JellyBean and have a working Pageplus config. The Fastboot JellyBean files for the D4 are released so now it will be no problem to recover the phone if there are complications on the way.

Credit Goes to snoop1979 on howardforums with his method on getting the Droid RAZR/MAXX to work with Pageplus on JellyBean. The same steps can apply to the droid 4. The only difference is the SBF file you use on the Droid 4. The one on his tutorial is ONLY for the Droid RAZR/MAXX. Using it on the Droid 4 will just instantly brick the phone. Below is a link to his amazing tutorial.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...NG-on-PagePlus

The link below is the correct SBF file to use with RSD LITE for the DROID 4

Droid-Developers SBF

Happy Flashing, and Good Luck,
jeanr464 dancedroid

New Daddy

Reaction score
Are you on Verizon Wireless? I am, and I can't root my Droid 4.. Really frustrating..

Folks, please!!! Help us root Verizon Droid 4!

GigaJake

Reaction score
Sounds like you've taken the right steps. The OP in the following post has links to usb drivers as well as the Razr Blade utility:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=239333

They worked for me and I'm also using a 64 bit OS. Make sure usb debugging is on, yada yada yada. I was able to root my phone while on mass storage mode. Clear your smart actions data to ensure it gets set up properly when you reach that step in the utility.

It's a little screwy and may take a few tries, but this utility will root the D4 on the JB update, I'm speaking from experience here.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

New Daddy

Reaction score
Sounds like you've taken the right steps. The OP in the following post has links to usb drivers as well as the Razr Blade utility:
The Complete Jellybean Thread

They worked for me and I'm also using a 64 bit OS. Make sure usb debugging is on, yada yada yada. I was able to root my phone while on mass storage mode. Clear your smart actions data to ensure it gets set up properly when you reach that step in the utility.

It's a little screwy and may take a few tries, but this utility will root the D4 on the JB update, I'm speaking from experience here.

Good luck!

I've followed every step in the first post of that thread.
Are you sure it should work for Verizon phones too?
The following thread seems to indicate that Verizon phones may be unrootable.
new model droid 4 otb running 4.1.2 jb no root ? - Android Forums

BoingoInsanity

Reaction score
I rooted my D4 OTA 4.1.2 on Verizon last week, had a bit of trouble at first, perhaps try running *adb devices* to see if it sees your phone, that seems to be where it's hanging up. Also make sure you use an official Moto cable, like the one that comes with the charger, I tried to root my D3 awhile back with some random cable and had a problem similar to what you describe, when I broke down and went back for the legit cable everything was fine...

New Daddy

Reaction score
I rooted my D4 OTA 4.1.2 on Verizon last week, had a bit of trouble at first, perhaps try running *adb devices* to see if it sees your phone, that seems to be where it's hanging up.

Can you explain what * adb devices * is? I have no idea..

sikassdrummer

Reaction score
adb reply

Can you explain what * adb devices * is? I have no idea..

It stands for "Android Debug Bridge" ,and I am guessing your question relates to checkinc debugging under developer options to root the phone {also I recoment allow from out side sources ,staw awake and allow mock locations }
if that's not what you were asking let me know .

BoingoInsanity

Reaction score
I assume you are using Windows, if you go into the folder you downloaded with the root exploit, you can right click in the window and choose *Open Command Terminal* or similar wording, and then type "adb devices" without the quotes into the dos box, and then press enter. It will search for phones connected to your computer, if it finds your phone you will see something like "List of devices attached 015AB41613016013 device". If it is just blank after "List of devices attached" than try to switch between MTP and Mass Storage mode in the notification bar of the phone, and try again. Once it shows up, you know you have a good connection and can try to root again. If you can't get it to show your device, the exploit obviously won't work, so it is a good first step to try.

New Daddy

Reaction score
Still not working

I did "adb", and my Droid 4 was discovered fine. But still, the utility can't root my phone!
Below is the log from the utility. Does anybody have any idea why my phone cannot be rooted? :angry:

Code:
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*] Device found.
[*] Phase one...
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Waiting for phone to reboot.
[*] Phase two...
[*] Complete the following steps on your device:
[*] 1. Open the Smart Actions application.
[*] 2. Select "Get Started".
[*] 3. Select "Battery Saver".
[*] 4. Select "Save".
[*] 5. Press the Home button.
[*]
[*] Press enter here once you have completed the above steps.
188 KB/s (3477 bytes in 0.018s)
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase three (this will take a minute)...
failed on '/data/logger' - Permission denied
mkdir failed for /data/logger, File exists
Unable to chmod /data/logger: Operation not permitted
link failed File exists
[*] Rebooting device...
[*] Phase four...
2237 KB/s (543080 bytes in 0.237s)
1969 KB/s (1867568 bytes in 0.926s)
1796 KB/s (476557 bytes in 0.259s)
1520 KB/s (63838 bytes in 0.041s)
[*] Cleaning up...
failed on '/data/logger.bak' - No such file or directory
[*] Rebooting...
[*] Exploit complete!
* server not running *

Hit ENTER to return.

GigaJake

Reaction score
I've never had it pass Stage 3 on it's first try before. Everytime I root my phone, it takes two tries.

Re-run the utility, and make sure your smart actions app is properly configured when you reach that stage. If you're not sure, wipe the apps data from the system settings to make it essentially new, and set it up again according to the utility.

Try different cables and usb ports if all else fails. Also try switching between mtp mode and mass storage mode, both have worked for me. But you didn't do anything wrong, it's always been picky

New Daddy

Reaction score
I've never had it pass Stage 3 on it's first try before. Everytime I root my phone, it takes two tries.

Re-run the utility, and make sure your smart actions app is properly configured when you reach that stage. If you're not sure, wipe the apps data from the system settings to make it essentially new, and set it up again according to the utility.

Try different cables and usb ports if all else fails. Also try switching between mtp mode and mass storage mode, both have worked for me. But you didn't do anything wrong, it's always been picky

I've tried about every different combination of USB cable, USB port and USB mode. Nothing works.. I'm extremely frustrated.

Before I wide the data and do a factory reset, is there a backup utility that can restore my phone to perfection after a factory reset/rooting? Titanium Backup would have been up to the task, but without root... arg...

me_droid

Reaction score
Check smart actions and see if battery saver already exists. This happened to me and each time I ran the exploit it added another battery saver, as in battery saver1, 2 etc. Delete any battery saver actions you find and then in the app management in settings clear data for smart actions. Mine was in mtp mode also and that setting worked.

New Daddy

Reaction score
Check smart actions and see if battery saver already exists. This happened to me and each time I ran the exploit it added another battery saver, as in battery saver1, 2 etc. Delete any battery saver actions you find and then in the app management in settings clear data for smart actions. Mine was in mtp mode also and that setting worked.

Are you with Verizon?