PRO Keyboard for me

mspm47

Reaction score
I went looking for an actual keyboard and this is why i pursued the Pro. I have an IPhone 4 but do so much email work while in the field, that i was hoping to find something better suited for that type of demand. I passed on the Blackberry though i used one for years. My concern with BB is the continued dwindling of market share and questions about their future.
I read where they used to be the Flagship but now considered a Jonboat.

I am 52 and a body builder and my fingers are just too big to really find any advantage in the Pro keyboard. I am as slow on this as i am on the IP4.
I patiently await for my D2G as I think that keyboard may help me.

If not, i will downgrade to a Smith Corona typewriter and maybe an Etch-A-Sketch.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wear XXL gloves and me and physical keypad JUST DON'T work. Though not a body builder I have worked in the physically laborious field for 30+ years so I am also very large muscularly.
What has worked for me is slider keyboards. When I get on the desktop now I loathe having to type
There are several to choose from. I'd suggest a trial version of either Ultra Keyboard or SlideIt. If they work for you there are others that aren't on the market but can be found. Ultra is my favorite because I was able to create a keyboard that fits me by making my own theme easily.I am so not a tech guy but easily made several custom themes with it
Hope that helps.I can slide faster than type on a desktop keyboard now.

Support Our Troops!! UltraKeyboarded from a wifi monolith.

OP
mspm47

mspm47

Reaction score
Thanks MountainBikerMark. I will give those a try when my D2G get here this week, I did not know such things existed. Another score for the forum.

MO3iusONE

Reaction score
In all honesty, you just need time with the keyboard for the pro. The one thing that throw me off is the "alt" key and the uppercase key its almost as if they switched those around compared to other phones.

Another thing that might help is cutting down your nails on your thumb. That's one thing that makes a huge different when it comes to typing on this phone. Don't use the whole thumb, use the tips of your thumb and nail and that should help you a bit. It works for me.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's fine for someone whose thumb is not the size of many men's big toe but my thumb tip covers 3 or more keys at once

OP
mspm47

mspm47

Reaction score
HA HA MoutainBikermark.
Mine are the same way.

Janet1025

Reaction score
Pro

Ugh I hated the Pro, and the keyboard, and I am 5'1 very petite with hands of a 14 yr old girl! and it the keyboard felt so squished, coming from a Blackberry Tour and I was so disappointed but fell in love with Android browser speed. So I gave in to digital keyboard and got the X... its been two weeks and can do digital typing with one hand now : )

Tech geek wannabe but have to settle being a Superhero Mom to two BOYS!

Ride

Reaction score
To each his own, for some reason, I can type Much faster and far more accurately on my Pro than my BB's, xv6700 large slider, and don't get me started with my touchscreen typing challenges.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

OP
mspm47

mspm47

Reaction score
I hear ya Janet. I tried to like the PRO but the problems i have had with two of them and trying to use this tiny keyboard has tested my patience.
I am going to continue my quest for a physical keyboard but I may find that it does not exist.

Janet1025

Reaction score
Ride- You must have A LOT of patience, I kept hitting the top four home keys in the middle of texting and would take me to another screen! UGH..

MSPM47- Have you thought about Digital? I was VERY against it, but I LOVE a challenge, and I didnt realize that with digital you have the voice and word recognition that REALLY help out!!

Tech geek wannabe but have to settle being a Superhero Mom to two BOYS!

OP
mspm47

mspm47

Reaction score
MSPM47- Have you thought about Digital? I was VERY against it said:
I am going to download one when I get my D2G (Friday?) and give it a try. I have read some good reviews and another person recommended this.

Thanks.

Janet1025

Reaction score
MSPM47- Have you thought about Digital? I was VERY against it said:
I am going to download one when I get my D2G (Friday?) and give it a try. I have read some good reviews and another person recommended this.

Thanks.

Isnt that a slider phone? with the hard keyboard??

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Janet, imo , the keyboard on the D2 is the best of the choices for physical keyboards but it's too tiny for me.
I went with full intention of getting a D2 and just ignoring the physical keypad but the Inc just fit me.
I was already using SlideIt on my Omnia and/or a stylus pen.I picked up that pen habit from my Dare.
The enV1 was my first qwerty and it was a horrible experience,I ended up using the front keys only.

OP
mspm47

mspm47

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]

Isnt that a slider phone? with the hard keyboard??[/quote]

yes it is.

Janet1025

Reaction score
When I returned the Pro it was between the D2 and the X but everytime I tried the D2 my fingers
would keep hitting the top part above the top row of keys, so darn neurotic ugh...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App