Prepping to sell phone - DX

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Calling on the experienced sellers out there. What's the easiest SAFEST way to prep my rooted X for sale? It's in pristine condition and now that I am on the Razr, I need to try and get a little something back. I was lax on the original Droid and still have that, but might be too old to get anything for it.

So my concern is that I don't want to sell the phone and have the new owner get any information leading to me or any financial info.

1)How do I prep the phone, losing root?

2)How (if possible) do I prep the phone keeping root?

Thanks

cheers.gif

Snow02

Reaction score
Sbf followed by factory reset to unroot.

Just factory reset to keep root.

And wipe the sd card if you're including it with the phone.

detroitwilly

Reaction score
I'm not going to start a new thread since I found this one. The OP's question has been answered, so with 100% respect, I want to highjack this thread.

I am switching from Droid X to Razr Maxx later tonight and I am putting my X on ebay bundled with an Otterbox and Multimedia Docking Station.

Is there a place on the forum that I can post the link to the ebay auction?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No sir.

Our sister site allows it at android.net or you could try swappa.com

Sent from the best 3G phone on Verizon.

detroitwilly

Reaction score
I just looked at the Guidlines of Conduct and came back to erase my question only to find my answer.

Thanks

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
After I lost something on my sd card recently, I'm hesitant to include any of my used ones when I sell a phone. You can easily pull files off of a SD card with the right software (took me $20 and 10 minutes to download/install/recover). I don't know if that still works after a format (rather than just deleting a file), but at the very least I'd be careful about the SD card.

Also, I've had the most success selling phones using Craigslist and Swappa.com. Craigslist has its risks, but worked right, can be very beneficial. It also helps that I live in an area with high demand and lots of people! Swappa is great as well, used it a ton. $10 for an ad (they tack onto the selling price), $10 if you want it "featured" (it shows up in lists highlighted and they tweet it), and that's it. Very simple and straightforward, payments done via paypal - you can require a verified paypal account or choose not to.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe formatting the card is safe.

Reaction score
You can down load Z4 and use that to unroot your phone (you may have to select re-root before it gives you the option to un-root), Then format SD card, do a factory data reset. That is what I just did to my wifes Droid X then sold it on Ebay, I got $130.00 + shipping, on aution listing.

Last edited: