power button not workin on og droid!

modestokid209

Reaction score
so my power button on ym phone isnt working. like it doesnt click wen i press it or anything. it works sometimes and sometimes not.
what can i do if anything to help rid this problem? i can still use the phone, but if it dies im S.O.L any suggestions?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
You have to be up for an upgrade by now.
W can't help you fix a failing power button friend...

Sent from my Incredible 2 HD using DroidForums

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
try mineral oil. put some mineral oil around the button. Use very little. See if that helps. (Disclaimer: I claim no responsibility for this solution if it destroys your device)

Consequently, you don't need your power button to turn your phone on or wake it up from sleeping.

1. Use your power cord to turn on the phone when off.
2. Use your slide out keyboard to wake up the phone.

OP
M

modestokid209

Reaction score
ok ya i got an app, for unlockin it but not too sure how to turn on and off. and no im not due for an upgrade till febuaray 24th. so gotta use this till than. i bought this phone off my buddy for $20. do i have to open to use mineral oil?

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
don't open it, just place a little oil around the power button, as much as you can around the openings, without putting too much.
(Disclaimer: I claim no responsibility for this solution if it destroys your device)

donnie5336

Reaction score
ok ya i got an app, for unlockin it but not too sure how to turn on and off. and no im not due for an upgrade till febuaray 24th. so gotta use this till than. i bought this phone off my buddy for $20. do i have to open to use mineral oil?

Are you rooted? I had the same problem with mine. I fixed it for a while but it eventually got dirty again and stuck. If you're rooted I recommend getting the app Button Remapper. It allows you to change the functions of buttons. I changed my camera button to be used for power in Wake and Sleep mode. Problem solved.

OP
M

modestokid209

Reaction score
i just looked in app store and didnt see the app ur talkin bout

tdpolo26

Reaction score
hey i have a interesting fix for you guys.... its not pretty but it works if you are just playin with your og droid or dont care about appearence.
dont blame me for any problems
steps
  1. pull out battery (just incase)
  2. pry phone apart at power button area
  3. slip something under the power button and pop it out... it will prolly break a bit you arent going to use it so who cares
  4. then look at the area there is a square with a cirular silver things on there pry it off (the whole square)
  5. now you should be looking at the ribbon with nothing on it just some gold connector points
  6. take a piece of aluminum foil place it crumple it in a square shape (not to tight)
  7. place it in the power button void
  8. put a piece of black electrical tape over the area
  9. put battery in
  10. press power button it works for me
basically you are replacing the silver disk that would turn on and off the connection
hopefully this helps some people. i did this on my old droid which my daughter who is 2 uses for angry birds and so on.

if any one is truly interested let me know and i will take some pictures

nubby

Reaction score
If your date is Feb. 24, try to give verizon a call. When I have been within a month, sometimes more, with any of my phones, and had a problem, they are usually willing to get permission to upgrade a little early.

donnie5336

Reaction score
If your date is Feb. 24, try to give verizon a call. When I have been within a month, sometimes more, with any of my phones, and had a problem, they are usually willing to get permission to upgrade a little early.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that also. My date was Feb. 22 and my OG Droid finally bit the dust for good on Jan. 27th. Went to verizon store and they gave my discounted upgrade with my credit, and matched internet pricing on a new Razr.

OP
M

modestokid209

Reaction score
Really. Didnt think of that one. Ill give it a try rite now. Thanks alot

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Kierra

Reaction score

As a customer care rep, I can back this up. As long as a customer is not past due on their bill, my own supervisor will approve us doing their upgrade early if they are within a month. Call and ask. I can't speak for every customer care supervisor but I've never had it be a problem to do an upgrade for a customer who is a month away or less.