Possible Ways to Crack the Bootloader

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Czerdrill, that none have been found to date.

{{ WugFresh }}

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am determined to discredit your claims.

{{ WugFresh }}

Mine? Well I'm glad I've inspired you haha. I just hope you're ready for the fame that will come from this. You will literally become an overnight rock star, and not just on droidforums, I'm talking worldwide. Hows that for inspiration lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
You have thoroughly made your point regarding its low probability.. or you would say infinitesimal probability. Have you considered the fact that my research might lead to new discoveries, not even regarding the encryption but regarding the bootloader itself; that my data will actually reveal something unforeseen; and that by focusing my attention towards a very narrow goal will actually be the source of discovery. What if my test shows widely different results than those that were predicted. We both agree that theory is different than practice, than practice can potentially reveal something that theory overlooked, or vice versa. Most of the world's greatest discoveries were the product of an unintentional result during unrelated experimentation.

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited:

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
Assuming 2^52 possibilities and assuming a computer can calculate ~100/second, then I figure with ~1000 computers working on this, it will take ~1428 years. With a little bit of money, I can get access to ~1000 computers. The ~1428 years part, though, is a little more difficult.

Do better. ;-)

PalmerCurling

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Assuming 2^52 possibilities and assuming a computer can calculate ~100/second, then I figure with ~1000 computers working on this, it will take ~1428 years. With a little bit of money, I can get access to ~1000 computers. The ~1428 years part, though, is a little more difficult.

Do better. ;-)

If we could set up a BOINC could have far more then 1000 computers crunching this.... Feasible?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
^blame it on tether-ers? Hilarious

This.

I don't think the tetherers are to blame AT ALL. I think it is the carriers who pushed the device manufacturers to implement the bootloader encryption. And I believe the reason they did this is due to the large amount of folks who jumped into the rooting/custom ROM game without knowing what they were getting into. All one has to do is read around the forums, and see the sheer amount of "Oh noes!!!! Rooted my phone and now it's bricked!!!!" threads floating around.

And to make it worse, the gist of most of these threads is "I bricked my device, how do I get a new one for free without <insert carrier name here> catching on?" - and these folks are the same people who absolutely refuse to take any steps to repair their device even though people in the forums are telling them exactly what they need to do to "unbrick".

So in summary, I believe the bootloader thing was a measure taken to prevent warranty fraud. If people in general were more honest, I sincerely don't think we'd be seeing this. I think the Motorola Droid 1 was an experiment to see how well an unlocked device worked in the market. And thanks to fradulent customers, the experiment was a failure, thus leading to bootloader locking and encryption.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

Do better. ;-)

I can gladly devote my laptop to it pretty much all day, every day. I've gotten to where I actually use a computer maybe 1-2 hrs a day at most, instead im always on my phone.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

Pmoser

Reaction score
I still think going to nsa is best 500 trillion calculations per second

ahC_hED

Reaction score
Moto needs to make a "Dev List" for those that want unlocked devices. All they would need to do is log the esn, phone number and what ever else, notify verizon that said device is no longer warrentied and send an OTA or whatnot to said phone.

Sent from my DROID2 of shame.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Moto needs to make a "Dev List" for those that want unlocked devices. All they would need to do is log the esn, phone number and what ever else, notify verizon that said device is no longer warrentied and send an OTA or whatnot to said phone.

Sent from my DROID2 of shame.

Would be so nice..... only problem I see with that is that people would get pissed if a actual hardware defect killed their phone (screen died or something like that that modding doesn't affect) then couldn't get a replacement.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Do better. ;-)

If we could set up a BOINC could have far more then 1000 computers crunching this.... Feasible?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

It's not only how many computers are involved it's how fast they can do calculations per second. Not an easy or sensible project to try to undertake given current technology. As jaxidian mentioned, I'm sure if we really, really, really wanted to we could get 1,000 computers running 24/7 (unlikely though). But unless you've got 2,000 years to waste...doesn't make much sense.