Possible way to squirm my way into unlimited 4G contract?

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
Since I was about a month late to the OG party, I have about another month left before I can upgrade. With that being said one of the other family accounts on my plan is due for an upgrade, since all of the 4G phones right now are absolute S**t in terms of future use and price I was thinking that maybe I should buy a 4G phone so I can get grandfathered over with 4G data plan then sell the phone (not used I would still be using my OG droid) Then buy the qHD -blam- that Moto is gonna sell (full retail). Would that be an acceptable way to still be grandfathered in to the 4G plan?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you can, but you would have to use the device for a certain amount of time.

But I was an upgrade in January and I can still upgrade now.

TB is $149 and Dinc2 is $99 by my acct.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
XMasterMoronX

XMasterMoronX

Reaction score
I think you can, but you would have to use the device for a certain amount of time.

But I was an upgrade in January and I can still upgrade now.

TB is $149 and Dinc2 is $99 by my acct.

By that would you mean activating and such?

I would be doing this before the said July 7th date if it is truly confirmed.

My big FU to Verizon (Not really big, thought that counts :D)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes if you buy a phone at a reduced price and renew a contract you need to activate the device on the account for a certain period of time they require or the contract is void. Might be 30 days? Not sure though.

grnidkjun

Reaction score
The article on cnet says current subscribers should be grandfathered in and be able to upgrade their phones and keep their current plans.
I hope so, else, I'm trying to figure out if I need to break down and get the Charge now rather than wait to compare the D3, Bionic and hopefully the verizon version of the S2.. if it ever arrives.

Detonation

Reaction score
Since I was about a month late to the OG party, I have about another month left before I can upgrade. With that being said one of the other family accounts on my plan is due for an upgrade, since all of the 4G phones right now are absolute S**t in terms of future use and price I was thinking that maybe I should buy a 4G phone so I can get grandfathered over with 4G data plan then sell the phone (not used I would still be using my OG droid) Then buy the qHD -blam- that Moto is gonna sell (full retail). Would that be an acceptable way to still be grandfathered in to the 4G plan?

If you bought an OG droid nov/dec 2009, you've more than likely been eligible to upgrade since nov/dec 2010 because of the Annual Upgrade program (that they've now done away with). You just don't get the New Every Two discount.

jayman350

Reaction score
If you bought an OG droid nov/dec 2009, you've more than likely been eligible to upgrade since nov/dec 2010 because of the Annual Upgrade program (that they've now done away with). You just don't get the New Every Two discount.

This is my situation exactly. I got the OG for a Christmas present in 2009. I'm not exactly blown away with the selection of 4G phones on VZW. My account shows that I'm eligible for an upgrade now, but if I wait until August then I am eligible for more discounts.

I can't afford to upgrade right now, nor would I want to with the selection of phones out there now. I was one of the lucky ones to get the $20 discount on my data, so unlimited data is costing me only $10/month right now. I am worried about losing that promotion if/when I upgrade and can't get that grandfathered into my new contract.

I'm seriously considering jumping ship and going w/ Virgin Mobile....once they come out with a higher-end phone than the Optimus V. My gf has it, its a decent entry-level smartphone, but its def a step down from the OG DROID. The Triumph may be an option for me. Its not 4G, but it would also only be $25/month compared to my current $89/month

jseah

Reaction score
This is my situation exactly. I got the OG for a Christmas present in 2009. I'm not exactly blown away with the selection of 4G phones on VZW. My account shows that I'm eligible for an upgrade now, but if I wait until August then I am eligible for more discounts.

I can't afford to upgrade right now, nor would I want to with the selection of phones out there now. I was one of the lucky ones to get the $20 discount on my data, so unlimited data is costing me only $10/month right now. I am worried about losing that promotion if/when I upgrade and can't get that grandfathered into my new contract.

I'm seriously considering jumping ship and going w/ Virgin Mobile....once they come out with a higher-end phone than the Optimus V. My gf has it, its a decent entry-level smartphone, but its def a step down from the OG DROID. The Triumph may be an option for me. Its not 4G, but it would also only be $25/month compared to my current $89/month

You don't have to worry about this, so long as you don't switch to a Blackberry. Blackberry is a different data plan, so that would trigger the data discount to drop. As long as you go with any other smartphone (Android, iPhone, even a 4G), the data plan doesn't change so you won't lose the discount.

xtremeosiris

Reaction score
Perfect thread as I too am trying to figure out how to handle this tiered data that I knew was coming at some point but was hoping will be able to upgrade before it happened.

I am eligible for an upgrade on July 18th. I too have been holding out for the Bionic or Galaxy S2 as I am not thrilled with whats out there now. I currently have unlimited data and my wife has basic internet on her non-smartphone. She just popped to me this morning she thinks she wants a smartphone now and is currently eligible for an upgrade.

What is the best way to get our contract locked in at unlimited data for both of us and be able to get me into a Bionic/S2 when they roll out? She will be cool with the current phones on the market. Also my area will be getting 4G supposedly this year so I definitely want to get us into a 4G plan.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to the responses.

wseyller

Reaction score
I too have an upgrade coming July 21. I was also hoping to get locked in for at least two more years. If my plan doesn't change coming from Original droid then I will be happy. I also do not particularly care for the phones out right now. Bionic or SGSII in my interest.

jayman350

Reaction score
Perfect thread as I too am trying to figure out how to handle this tiered data that I knew was coming at some point but was hoping will be able to upgrade before it happened.

I am eligible for an upgrade on July 18th. I too have been holding out for the Bionic or Galaxy S2 as I am not thrilled with whats out there now. I currently have unlimited data and my wife has basic internet on her non-smartphone. She just popped to me this morning she thinks she wants a smartphone now and is currently eligible for an upgrade.

What is the best way to get our contract locked in at unlimited data for both of us and be able to get me into a Bionic/S2 when they roll out? She will be cool with the current phones on the market. Also my area will be getting 4G supposedly this year so I definitely want to get us into a 4G plan.

if your wife wants to get a smart phone then you guys might make out better with the new data plans. VZW is supposed to be allowing shared data plans in the not so distant future, as opposed to right now you each have to carry your own $30/month data plan. It all depends on how much data you typically use, if you think you are going to be going over the limited amounts then get her locked in now, otherwise you might be able to save a few bucks by sharing a data plan.

jseah

Reaction score

If your wife's line is eligible for an upgrade now, then by all means get her a smartphone before July 7th. Assuming that she currently has a data plan on her non-smartphone, switching to a smartphone does require a change in data plan. If you wait until after July 7th, an unlimited smartphone data plan might not be available anymore.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Just an FYI, Verizon doesn't have a "4G" data plan. Or a 3G data plan. They just have a data plan. You getting 4G or not depends on your device and your coverage area, not your plan.

No reason to jump in to a "4G data plan" phone that you don't want.

However, if you don't have a smart phone, you better get one before July 7th.

grnidkjun

Reaction score
Hopefully we will get some clarification on the data plan soon and if people are grandfathered or not.

The cnet article states that if you are already on a smartphone plan you should be able to upgrade to a new phone and keep your existing data plan.

However, another poster, on the Thunderbolt vs Charge thread, stated that the reps at the Verizon store were pushing them to upgrade now with the reasoning that if they upgrade their existing smart phone after 7/7 they would have a limited plan.

At least that was how I understood it, that they already have a smartphone and were not looking to add a new line.

Last edited:

jayman350

Reaction score
Hopefully we will get some clarification on the data plan soon and if people are grandfathered or not.

The cnet article states that if you are already on a smartphone plan you should be able to upgrade to a new phone and keep your existing data plan.

However, another poster, on the Thunderbolt vs Charge thread, stated that the reps at the Verizon store were pushing them to upgrade now with the reasoning that if they upgrade their existing smart phone after 7/7 they would have a limited plan.

At least that was how I understood it, that they already have a smartphone and were not looking to add a new line.

This is going to sound terrible, but I wouldn't believe what a VZW rep told me unless I had heard it somewhere else and just wanted verification.

MOST sales reps are only concerned with getting a sale. If they have the opportunity to convince you to buy a new phone before the tiered plans go into effect, chances are they are going to tell you whatever it takes to get you to bite. I know not all of them are like this, but I have had a couple bad experiences with sales reps just not knowing what they are talking about. It was obvious that he didn't know what he was talking about, but couldn't say to me "I don't know". I would have respected that, instead of feeding me a bunch of bs.

This is all speculation until someone upgrades their phone after the tiered plans are released.