"Grandfathered 4G"

jimmydene84

Reaction score
I've seen it in a few forums....what's all the talk about the 4G plans and being grandfathered in?? So I get a 4G phone now, and I don't have to pay for the 4G service now or later?? I have an upgrade but was waiting for more phones to become available, but 4G is in my area now. Just wondering as I do not know for sure

Sent from my Droid

xmaster

Reaction score
I don't know about that it sounds to get to be true. All of the 4 g plans are ridiculous so far and as more phones come out the more pricey ill get

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Who knows really. I think in the contract it says they can change service at anytime...but people that have 4g are paying the same as people with 3g now I believe. I assume it wouldn't change unless you had to sign a new contract. Idk really, sorry.

ironick7

Reaction score
I assume they're referring to the unlimited data plan and being locked into it, in case vzw does away with it. It has been rumored that they will have capped data plans in the near future.

H4zyBuddha

Reaction score
There was unlimited 4g data plans offered to T Bolt buyers and a few others. Now they are going to a tiered plan that charges X dollars for X gbs of data. If u bought it before they made the switch, unlimited 4g data for $30. That's my understanding

Sent from a smoke filled room

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I remember when I had mobile web 2.0 a longtime ago, I was only paying $5 extra a month on my LG Env and they let me keep until I changed phones, even though they eventually discontinued the service. But that could have been an error on their part.

wyld

Reaction score
In my experience with vzw for the last 10 years even if something is grandfathered you still pay that same price unless you actually change your plan in some way then you can't get that grandfathered plan back

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
jimmydene84

jimmydene84

Reaction score
Who knows really. I think in the contract it says they can change service at anytime...but people that have 4g are paying the same as people with 3g now I believe. I assume it wouldn't change unless you had to sign a new contract. Idk really, sorry.

^^^^^that one makes the most sense to me (as it was what I originally was thinking) but ima go talk to verizon and update this as soon as I know FOR SURE

Sent from my Droid

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
As a few people have said, albeit a little cryptic, you essentially sign a contract now with the Tbolt and get unlimited 4g for a price, if they change to the tiered system, or capped system, you'll already have signed a contract, therefore they legally shouldn't be able to change your payment plan.

Given Verizon probably has extremely good contract lawyers, they could probably change this if they really wanted to.

Ellectronico

Reaction score
I am on an old plan. its $20 a month and that gives me 750 anytime and 500 nights/weekends. I even had free Data but one day a rep took it off by accident and then couldnt put it back on.

So i guess you could say i am grandfathered into that plan. I never call verizon unless its life or death because i dont want some dumb rep to mess up my sweet plan.

Dont know how this is any help to this conversation besides this:

if your grandfathered into something on your plan, make it very clear to any verizon employee to NOT do any plan changes that they cant put back

y0manda

Reaction score
Vzw following ATT tier data plan has been a rumor for over a year. It's just a rumor.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
the 4g phones still come with the $29.99 unlimited data plan, so if you sign a two year contract, they 'CANNOT' change the terms of the contract until the two years are up...
now mind you they state that they have a right to 'throttle' you if you use an unusually enormous amount of data, but then wouldn't all on 4g do the same?? how can they throttle everyone and still survivie the competition from other carriers... and I see no cap on data allowance, it says 'unlimited' so that's what they will honor legally I'm sure...

just my humble thought on the matter...:p ;)