Popcorn Time Makes Its Way Over To Android

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
popcorntime.jpg

Popcorn Time is one of the easiest ways to catch TV shows you may have forgotten to record or just flat out missed. It is also highly illegal since it requires theft of intellectual property. Popcorn time has been so successful because it makes finding the content you want effortless. Hollywood and the Broadcasting Networks have really shot themselves in the foot during this new digital age by making their content difficult to find. We have a few easy to use options like Netflix which brings you shows from a few seasons ago, we have HULU which brings you the last few episodes but has lots of restrictions, and then you have popcorn time which gives you any show, any time, on any device. If the networks and hollywood had this type of subscription based app I imagine there would not be these types of illicit apps popping up all the time. I am not saying it is right. I am just presenting the argument for why these types of apps find so much success. You can grab this app if you are willing to take the risk at the link below. Keep in mind stealing a show online could land you in prison for 1 year and up to a $100,000 fine plus statutory damages and legal fees vs a $7 a month HULU subscription.

Via Popcorntime

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any Lawyers that could help with this conundrum? Sometimes it is just easier to launch a video on the tablet and sling it to the TV via Chromcast and Allcast. Is this illegal if you bought and own a physical copy of what you are illegally streaming? If you have bought and purchased the Bluray Box set don't you have the right to view the movie? Or are you only purchasing the right to view it via the Bluray/DVD/Digital Copy you purchased?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Any Lawyers that could help with this conundrum? Sometimes it is just easier to launch a video on the tablet and sling it to the TV via Chromcast and Allcast. Is this illegal if you bought and own a physical copy of what you are illegally streaming? If you have bought and purchased the Bluray Box set don't you have the right to view the movie? Or are you only purchasing the right to view it via the Bluray/DVD/Digital Copy you purchased?

Every BluRay I buy I also download from bittorrent. I don't want my kids grubby little hands handling it. But if you want to get down to the nitty gritty, no, we aren't allowed to do that even if we own the movie. If you read the license we are technically purchasing the right to view the movie from that disc. Music is the same way. Its like we are leasing the disc indefinitely and aren't allowed to replace it ourselves no matter what. They own the music/movie, we own the plastic medium that they put the music/video on for our viewing.

i do recall a court case being settled that says we are allowed to backup digital content now but i think that was for digitally purchased media (iTunes, Play Store, etc).

TV shows are also wishy washy because though you can watch them for free over broadcast air waves, they are like that because they have commercials. Removing the commercials and rebroadcasting is illegal. Thats why Dish Network was sued by the TV industry when they introduced the original Hopper. It had a feature that let you hit a button and it would skip all the commercials without having to fast forward them. They got in an uproar because it you didn't even see it while fast forwarding. Look at modern remotes, they dont' have a skip forward button anymore either. My Harmony remote can program that in so I do, but its not standard anymore.

I personally don't care and what I do is what I do.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Will my jail cell have wifi so that I can enjoy Popcorntime? :blink:

Seriously though, pretty soon the Internet will either be locked down and it won't matter where the servers are for this types of services. Net Neutrality is currently in danger. If Time Warner wants to prevent any access to domains with .eu, or .fn, or even .au, they could.

The revolution will not be televised or streamed.

dja1980

Reaction score

Every BluRay I buy I also download from bittorrent.

This is where Plex comes in. Purchase your movies/tv shows as disc based media. Rip them to your PC/Mac (Plex Server installed). Pull the movie you want to watch up on your phone or tablet via the Plex app. Cast it to your TV.

We have Chromecast installed on all our TVs, and we haven't touched a disc in months. It's also nice to have access to your entire collection while traveling.

www.plex.tv

HarvesterX™

Reaction score
Lmao I certainly do not condone this behavior and do not expect me to show you and gratitude whatsoever. *wink* which means something different in my country

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
While we stream a lot of content as well, we still love our Blu-Ray movies and will continue to rent/buy them regularly. We enjoy watching all the extras that come with Blu-ray media (which currently isn't provided on any other media), so it will be quite sometime before our household converts to "streaming only" content.

tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I can tell you it works perfectly on my MAC.