pop 3 email issues

lmontague

Reaction score
I have set up a pop 3 email account for my email app. It connects and downloads mail but most of the time they immediately are blown off. If not the ones that remain are lost then next time I retrieve mail from the pop 3 server. Please help I need this device to work with my email.

beckx020

Reaction score
Have you tried another email app? such as K9 mail?

Sounds like maybe you have settings incorrect in the mail app. Such as sync with the server or something. If you delete messages on the server once they are downloaded and then sync, they will go away on the email app too.

OP
L

lmontague

Reaction score
email settings

My settings are that the mail is never to delete from the server. I have double checked all of the settings and they are exactly as reccomended. I log in and out of the server just fine for incoming and outgoing. sometimes the mail stays and sometimes it goes away as soon as it completes the download. Sometimes it goes away as soon as the first message is opened and always it goes completely away from the phone not just to the delete folder. And 99% of the time if there is existing mail in the box it is blown off at the start of the next download.

Slothead

Reaction score
My situation is somewhat similar. I don't even seem to get a lot of my email (if it arrives and then goes away, it happens without me even knowing about it). This morning for instance, there were 19 emails in two separate accounts that the Droid didn't even seem to know about.

I suspect that it has something to do with the fact that I still have the same accounts set into my iPhone too (as I transition from the iPhone to the Droid), but I can't be sure. [The example I cited above is based on the iPhone showing the 19 emails and the Droid showing nothing!]

This morning the missing emails was from my msn (hotmail) account and my XO.com account. Both of these have been ultra reliable on all my systems and even sporadically on the Droid, but much less reliable on the Droid than on any other platform.

As with Imontague, mine are also set to never delete (on all systems) until commanded.

KingAZAZ

Reaction score
Looks like the place to chime in. I set up a Droid Incredible for one of the attorneys at my office and he seems to be having the same problem. We have his Gmail working fine, but he claims to only received 1 of the 19 emails from over the weekend.

We don't use MS Exchange, so I set up his work email with POP3. While doing so, I noticed that as I would send test messages they would arrive quickly, but the preceding emails would disappear. I was confused since they didn't show up in the trash bin.

Anyway, on his work station I just told Outlook to keep a copy of messages on the server for 5 days. Since this option was not previously turned on, I'm sure that messages were just being deleted in due course as the unit would sync with the server. Thus, his work station had the emails, but the Droid would only maintain them until the next sync, which means he only rarely happened to notice that any mail had come through at all.

That's my 2¢.

Booch_21

Reaction score
Use IMAP instead of POP3. When you use POP3, it brings the messages off of the server to your phone, period. With IMAP, it allows me to check my email from multiple locations and leaves a copy of the email on the server. Its been working for me for months.

Slothead

Reaction score
Use IMAP instead of POP3. When you use POP3, it brings the messages off of the server to your phone, period. With IMAP, it allows me to check my email from multiple locations and leaves a copy of the email on the server. Its been working for me for months.
I thought the POP/IMAP decision was based on the server where your mail ist received/stored. I didn't know either was an option for the user. I will experiment with that.

Booch_21

Reaction score
I thought the POP/IMAP decision was based on the server where your mail is received/stored. I didn't know either was an option for the user. I will experiment with that.
My ISP gives instructions for POP3 as that is what most people use for their mail programs. I believe that most servers use either/or these days, having compatibility for both.

Taegost

Reaction score
If you have the email set up on multiple machines, then you'll have an issue unless they're all set to leave the emails on the server.
When I have Outlook open on my computer at work, I don't get the emails in my phone because Outlook checks every minute and removes them from the server.
Days like today when I'm out of the office, email on my phone works fine.
Of course, I prefer it that way :)

My Droid Does Tapatalk...

KingAZAZ

Reaction score
I don't think that you can choose POP3 or IMAP at will, but perhaps some servers do support both.

I didn't notice an option on the Droid to leave messages on the server, but if it has such an option, it would definitely need to be selected. In Outlook I just have it deleting messages after 5 days, which may be a little longer than is necessary for my particular user.

Anyway, he says that it seems to be working OK right now, but we'll have to give it a couple days to make sure everything is cool. I think that the original question of why emails keep getting blown away is solved by the above.

zephead

Reaction score
This issue only started happening after the new 2.2 update. I have an Incredible and now, if I let my home computer's Outlook Express download email messages off the Comcast server, my phone will try to sync with an empty server and then delete all old messages off the phone. My home computer is where I archive all my emails and I don't want to leave messages on the server because of the volume of emails. Once they are in Outlook Express, I have no worries. But, if I am away from home and get a bunch of emails on my phone, they shouldn't be automatically deleted next time I open Outlook Express and clear out the emails from the Comcast server. The pone should never delete old emails unless I tell it do that. Again, this only started happening since the new 2.2 OS upgrade.

KingAZAZ

Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but I still think you need to use the "leave messages on server" option. I don't know about Outlook Express, but in Outlook you can specify a period of time for it to retain messages before purging. That way you're phone will get a chance to get the mail and, if you set the time limit to a couple of days or so, you can keep the number of messages on the phone down to a manageable level.

I agree that messages shouldn't just be eliminated without a trace when the server doesn't have anything on it. Perhaps if you do the above and move things that you want to keep on the phone to a folder, then they will be retained even when there's nothing to sync.

If all this hassle came with the update . . . well that just sucks. Heh. Not a very intuitive way for the device to behave.

zephead

Reaction score
Based in the advice of another poster, I downloaded K9 mail and it has a setting that you can check to not delete mail even after it is deleted from the server. No more automatically erased emails. Problem solved!!!

I may still do what you said and leave a copy on the server for a specified period of time. I just need it to be long enough to where I won't lose any e-mails if I am out of town and can't get to my main computer.

Thanks!