POP Email Problems

mlposer

Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing this problem? My phone will intermittently stop receiving pop mail and will only continue to retrieve if I pull the battery or power cycle the Moto Droid. I know the pop mail is working since I added it to my gmail and those emails are syncing fine. It is just my normal pop email accounts that won't download correctly.

Thanks

keiichi25

Reaction score
Is anyone else experiencing this problem? My phone will intermittently stop receiving pop mail and will only continue to retrieve if I pull the battery or power cycle the Moto Droid. I know the pop mail is working since I added it to my gmail and those emails are syncing fine. It is just my normal pop email accounts that won't download correctly.

Thanks

First recommendation is check how you configured your pop mail account, how often you have it trying to update and also if you have your background sync enabled.

OP
M

mlposer

Reaction score
Thanks. Background sync is checked. I am reading eamil every 5 mins. Still need to power cycle for it to work.

Thanks

rbarnes1230

Reaction score
I've been having this same problem with my droid. It doesn't receive emails from my hotmail account in real time. If I refresh it manually about 5 times, then I should receive a few of them. But it isn't instant like it should be. And its auto-refresh is on 10 min. The gmail account is instant though. Please help

JayMonster

Reaction score
The POP e-mail client from everything I have read seems to be a real Achilles heel with the Droid (well technically Android in general). However you can get K-9 Mail from the marketplace which seems to work much better than the default application.

K-9 Mail
chart

Hairdad

Reaction score
k9mail and android

if you install k9 mail, do you have to do anything to the android email app, or do you let both sync?:motdroidvert:

JayMonster

Reaction score
You REMOVE your e-mail accounts from the included client if you are going to use K-9

Silver Member
Reaction score
you can also have gmail check your POP3 accounts. steps in my sig.

M

Matth3w

you can also have gmail check your POP3 accounts. steps in my sig.
This is what I did, because the droid simply did not properly check my IMAP email account. If I manually checked it and hit load messages it worked, but if I left the email to rely on the hourly updates that I had it set to, it worked MAYBE once per day. And that's with a full strength wifi connection going as well.

jmasterman

Reaction score
I've tried the K9 mail client and I have the same problems stated above. Email with POP just doesn't work consistently at ALL. This is the worst experience I've ever had with a phone and email. I've called Verizon and they said to ensure my RIM/blackberry connection to my account was off. That didn't help the problem at all.

JMichael2468

Reaction score
Something to check

My Droid seemed to be sporadically losing sync with my POP email account too. I also noticed Outlook was grabbing the email but my droid wasn’t. I checked my email account options in Outlook and noticed the “leave a copy of messages on the server” box was not checked. I checked that box and then checked the box that stated “remove from server after 1 day”. After that my emails started coming in like they were supposed to.
So, Outlook was grabbing the messages and taking them off the server before my droid could get them. That’s why some messages would come in but others wouldn’t. It worked for me and thought I would pass it along.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Besides using k9:
- don't use a task killer
- may be due to 2.1 deep sleep bug. Run load monitor from market

JMichael2468

Reaction score
Not using a task killer.

I am using droids email app and just made the changes to outlook to leave the messages on the server for at least one day so I can get them on my droid too.