[Poll] The Darker Side of Xbox One; Is it a Huge Hit or Minor Misstep from Microsoft?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
original-xbox-one-vcr-look.png

Apparently, not all is unicorns and rainbows in Xbox One land. For the most part the response to the next-gen Xbox One from Microsoft has been a positive one; however, we would be remiss if we didn't share there is also an extremely vocal growing minority of Xbox fans who are unhappy with the new console. Here's a quick breakdown of the primary complaints that are starting to spread throughout the web:
  • The console is kinda ugly because it looks like a 1980's VCR - (obviously this is subjective, but it's not hard to see this perspective)
  • The Kinect motion controller and camera is always on along with an always on internet connection - very creepy
  • The controller looks kinda like a Fisher Price product - (this one is obviously subjective too)
  • Possible indirect blocking of used games because they must be installed and tied to your account - this one is still in flux, so it might turn out different
  • TV integration is an interesting new feature but is useless to the rest of the world beyond the US
  • No backwards compatibility - this one isn't that big of a deal for most, but there are still many who were upset by it
  • The internal HDD is not replaceable - this may not be an issue now, but some gamers will likely fill that HDD fast
For many, these issues don't necessarily detract from the overall appeal of the device. Some of these complaints exist because of some of the best features of the device. It's the nature of technology that new stuff sometimes causes a rough transition as we replace the old stuff. Still, it's important to discuss these issues so Microsoft can work things out. Who knows, if there is enough of a backlash, perhaps they still have time to make some changes before the product goes into mass production.

With that said, we wanted to do a poll to get your perspective on the new Xbox One. Share your opinions in the thread and also vote in the poll: Will it be a huge hit, or is it a minor misstep from Microsoft?

Source: XboxOneForums.net

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I am annoyed about backwards compatibility. I have several games that to me are classics. The controller, I've always loved the 360s controller. It feels very good in my hand. If this new one feels just as good if not better and works just as good, I don't care about the looks. The HDD, meh. I had a 360 Elite with 120gigs of space and never had an issue and I installed all my games to the HD. Used games are here to stay with Xbox One but details hazy | Reviews - Games and Gear - CNET Reviews Used games aren't dead either.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I've never owned an Xbox. I've always gamed on PC. I think I am going to get the One.

Briankbl

Reaction score
If I want a "smart tv" set top box device for cable tv, I'd get Xbox One. If I want a console for great games, movies, and social gaming features, I'd get a PS4.

Microsoft spent so little time actually talking about games and more time talking about tv and cable, that really turned off a lot of core gamers. The PS4 conference, in contrast, was all about games and how you interact with your friends while playing games. We'll have to see how both Sony and Microsoft handle their E3 conferences, but according to the internet, so far PS4 is more impressive and winning over a lot of Xbox fans.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

DesktopDevin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Backward compatibility is a big deal as people have spent a lot of money on games for their current console, and I know that this feature would drive up costs some but why in gods name are they still using a HDD ...SSD's provide better performance,less power consumption and heat.

I'll pass on this ONE!

Briankbl

Reaction score
Check this out. It's official. Here's the full explanation of how used games are being blocked on Xbox One:

Here's how the system works: when you buy an Xbox One game, you'll get a unique code that you enter when you install that game. You'll have to connect to the Internet in order to authorize that code, and the code can only be used once. Once you use it, that game will then be linked to your Xbox Live account. "It sits on your harddrive and you have permission to play that game as long as you’d like," Harrison said.

Other users on the console will be able to play that game as well, Harrison said. So you don't need to buy multiple games per family. "With the built-in parental controls of the system it is shared amog the users of the device," he said.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

But that doesn't mean used games are dead. In fact, Harrison told us, you'll be able to sell your Xbox One games online.

"We will have a solution—we’re not talking about it today—for you to be able to trade your previously-played games online," Harrison said.

The Xbox exec wouldn't give further details on how this system will work, but we're assuming that once you're done with a game, you can trade the code online and it will be erased from your machine. But what will you get? Other games? Microsoft Points?

No matter how the final system works, it is not likely to please GameStop, the world's biggest buyer and seller of used video games, but it could be a tantalizing way to share games with your friends in the virtual space.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'll take these one at a time

• The console is kinda ugly because it looks like a 1980's VCR - (obviously this is subjective, but it's not hard to see this perspective), Well honestly, there will be a slim version, it's going to happen.... so I'm not that worried about this
  • The Kinect motion controller and camera is always on along with an always on internet connection - very creepy, seriously you dirt bags.. I'm lucky enough now to live with an internet connection... I've lived out in the country before with no connect AND NO WAY to get one (an affordable one that is) same with the always on... change it or I'm probably not getting this console. hell even Steam has a no connection ability to play
  • The controller looks kinda like a Fisher Price product - (this one is obviously subjective too), It's a controller... big deal
  • Possible indirect blocking of used games because they must be installed and tied to your account - this one is still in flux, so it might turn out different, if this turns out to be true I WILL NOT buy the next xbox... period... ever. unless it changes.
  • TV integration is an interesting new feature but is useless to the rest of the world beyond the US, I really like the idea of being able to talk to my TV the same way I do my netflix with my kinect. I really really like this idea.
  • No backwards compatibility - this one isn't that big of a deal for most, but there are still many who were upset by it, again... dirt bags... there's no reason it shouldn't be... but... whatever.
  • The internal HDD is not replaceable - this may not be an issue now, but some gamers will likely fill that HDD fast, I'll happily void my warranty to put in a bigger HDD

well... guess I'll just wait and see

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account. Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

this disgusts me... absolutely makes me want to never buy another xbox ANYTHING ever again. I remember being younger and always playing games with friends at their houses... bringing my games... they would bring theirs... no need to bring your console... I have one.

way to fail microsoft... way to fail.

Backward compatibility is a big deal as people have spent a lot of money on games for their current console, and I know that this feature would drive up costs some but why in gods name are they still using a HDD ...SSD's provide better performance,less power consumption and heat.

I'll pass on this ONE!

AND more money... HDD have more space and cost less money... I'm sorry but I don't want to pay $1500 for my console to have a 500gb SSD in it... for my PC sure... not for a console though

Last edited:

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
From my older perspective I think it is likely I will not get one. They finally put in a BluRay which is good in my view. Square is what Microsoft says is 'Modern"???? Always on Kinect and internet - deal stopper for me. Buying games that can only be played on one machine - another deal stopper (its MY game, not my Device's game, if you want make me log in on the console where it is being played - a pain but OK). Can't sell or trade or get used games - total deal stopper. Not being able to change HDD -HUH dumb. Anyone ever heard of hard drive failure? or upgrade? So much good in the machine, but once again so much bad added by Microsoft marketing. I swear they could make a gold giveaway into something no one would want!

warped1987

Reaction score
It's very ugly, I must say. I've always been a Playstation fan since day 1, and thanks to the release of the X Box One, Sony's stock has gone up. The PS4 will dominate!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since this thread was made...and I didnt vote......I dont necessarily agree with each choice...

I thought it was huuuuuge during the reveal.
The loaning games issue is a big issue IMO. A co worker just lent me NFS Most Wanted for the PS3. With the Xbox One....it wouldnt be possible without going thru some hurdles or paying a fee....according to the info thats out now.
The required internet connection issue is a big issue IMO. My kids and their mother dont have cable TV, let alone internet.....they wont be getting one of these as a gift anytime soon. Even if you need to login in once a month.....its not possible for them. Will MS be making hotspot devices available with the system? Or will ppl be able to tether from their mobile devices for checking in?
Kinect required? Big issue IMO.

That said.....I still see myself getting one. I liked the multi tasking and TV features. But I will probably get the PS4 first even if the Xbox One came out first. I can fanboy about smartphones all day.....but for consoles.....I welcome all with open arms. I still plan on getting a Wii U too....lol. Hoping for 2 things:

Some of this info is wrong and the PS4 dont do something similar.

And honestly....is 500GB gonna be big enough for those of us that keep every game we get? I forgot but decided to leave the post unedited.....I read you can connect external harddrives to the Xbox One and install games there too. But why not have it optional to install to the harddrive...like it is now? That way no need for all the used games, lending games hurdle jumping. Just have it to need the disc in the console to play......With the games going bigger in size....it might be less hacking and piracy to the system. Look how long it took the PS3 to get hacked and the piracy is no where as big as it is with the 360. The file sizes for games are too big for most ppl. And I never cared about backwards compability.......me starting gaming with an Atari 2600 and getting just about every console in between that and the PS3.........there was no such thing as backwards compatibility for many, many years.

I still have a fat model PS2 and the orig Xbox....lol. Kept them just in case I couldnt play some of my games on the PS3 and 360. I missed the ultra backward compatible PS3 so I never had an issue with it. I didnt know how to get my saves to the 360 or PS3 so I just kept my orig Xbox and PS2.

Last edited:

GigaJake

Reaction score
Xbox One Reveal:

TV TV TV TV TV TV SPORTS CARS TV TV DOGS

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk 2

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
the new kinect is enough reason to get one. i have xbox 360 and only play kinect games on it. new version is such a huge improvement.

i don't see the problem with always on internet or kinect. i have a few pcs in the house which are always on, always on the net and always have webcams accessible which i use to monitor the house when i'm not home. and you can ALWAYS make things do what they're not supposed to do, so if you don't like it always being on, turn it off.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
the new kinect is enough reason to get one. i have xbox 360 and only play kinect games on it. new version is such a huge improvement.

i don't see the problem with always on internet or kinect. i have a few pcs in the house which are always on, always on the net and always have webcams accessible which i use to monitor the house when i'm not home. and you can ALWAYS make things do what they're not supposed to do, so if you don't like it always being on, turn it off.

Wow apparently the term always on just went right over your head.

It means that the device must have an active internet connection for use, to even play games. For some people this isn't an option. Want to know what MS said when asked what about those of us in rural areas. They said maybe you shouldn't live out there. That comment alone infuriated me enough to not want the new xbox.

Always on is a horrible concept, same as this whole one game per console bs.

---
I hate jelly beans, Google's jellybean is alright though.

Sent from my sickeningly sweet Galaxy Note II