Microsoft Officially Announces the Xbox One

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
So you're saying Sony built/assembled a production PS4 with 4 gigs of memory and made available to all the developers only to announce at the conference that the PS4 they had built would be scrapped and a newer one with 8 gigs would be produced?

No....NO PS4 hardware was present at the announcement. Even the developers of Killzone did not know it would be greater than 4 gig until it was announced on stage.

Guerrilla's decision to stick with 4GB suggest that the developer may not have been aware of Sony's decision to include 8GB in final retail hardware – something Just Add Water CEO Stewart Gilray told VideoGamer.com had been kept secret from third-party developers until the console's announcement. "We were told [PS4] was 4GB originally," Gilray told us, "and we first knew it had 8GBs when Mark said at the event's stage, 'And it has 8GB of memory.' We'd had kits at that point for a good while."

It was all on developer kits (PC's).

Last edited:

Briankbl

Reaction score
So you're saying Sony built/assembled a production PS4 with 4 gigs of memory and made available to all the developers only to announce at the conference that the PS4 they had built would be scrapped and a newer one with 8 gigs would be produced?

No....NO PS4 hardware was present at the announcement. Even the developers of Killzone did not know it would be greater than 4 gig until it was announced on stage.

It was all on developer kits (PC's).

[/FONT][/COLOR]

You do realize that the console shown during the Xbox One unveil was just a shell, right? You do realize that the demos on display at the Xbox One unveil were all running off devkits, right? Not the actual Xbox One console. Neither of these consoles are finalized, software or hardware wise.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
My thoughts....perhaps PS has several different box designs in the wings...perhaps they wanted to see what Xbox would bring to the table as far as design...

I think we'll see a box soon.

Or perhaps there box was just as old looking as the Xbox, and they decided at the last minute to not show there box in hopes of making it more stylish...

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
THEY NEVER SHOWED THE UI IN ACTION! The UI demo was a video clip running in a window over a still shot. ...C'mon, man. Check it again... they never performed a single UI function, watch it yourself. It was a video running in windows and nothing else. No transitions, no inputs were entered, no changes in highlighted selections... nothing.

That was a series of video slides not an operating UI. Tell me one input they did on that UI. ONE... you can't because they didn't.

Their aim was to run on PS4 hardware sure... it was on PS4 development hardware. I have no reason to doubt it.

Briankbl

Reaction score
THEY NEVER SHOWED THE UI IN ACTION! The UI demo was a video clip running in a window over a still shot. ...C'mon, man. Check it again... they never performed a single UI function, watch it yourself. It was a video running in windows and nothing else. No transitions, no inputs were entered, no changes in highlighted selections... nothing.

That was a series of video slides not an operating UI. Tell me one input they did on that UI. ONE... you can't because they didn't.

Their aim was to run on PS4 hardware sure... it was on PS4 development hardware. I have no reason to doubt it.

You do realize that the console shown during the Xbox One unveil was just a shell, right? You do realize that the demos on display at the Xbox One unveil were all running off devkits, right? Not the actual Xbox One console. Neither of these consoles are finalized, software or hardware wise.

They also showed UI in motion during the end of the Killzone demo when they uploaded the gameplay clip to Facebook.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

Nope.. the Xbox One was on a table right in front of Yusuf Mehdi! He gave a realtime demo for almost 5 STRAIGHT minutes going from function, to function, to function. Go to the 6 minute mark and watch.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
They also showed UI in motion during the end of the Killzone demo when they uploaded the gameplay clip to Facebook.

5 seconds of the UI. They they immediately faded out to yet another video cut-scene.

Please. 5 seconds of active UI... no wonder I missed it.

C'mon, man.

Briankbl

Reaction score
5 seconds of the UI. They they immediately faded out to yet another video cut-scene.

Please. 5 seconds of active UI... no wonder I missed it.

C'mon, man.

You keep coming up with excuses and for what?

Briankbl

Reaction score
Nope.. the Xbox One was on a table right in front of Yusuf Mehdi! He gave a realtime demo for almost 5 STRAIGHT minutes going from function, to function, to function. Go to the 6 minute mark and watch.

I saw an Xbox One shell sitting on top of a giant, enclosed box housing a devkit inside. There was a reason they didn't have it sitting on a standard table so you could see underneath it...

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I saw an Xbox One shell sitting on top of a giant, enclosed box housing a devkit inside. There was a reason they didn't have it sitting on a standard table so you could see underneath it...

So you don't see the power cords and ethernet cables and transmitters. Are you seriously saying that they had a bogus Xbox One on the stage? Are you saying they faked it... because we can go there if you want. And we can talk about what Sony did.

And what do you mean by excuses? I have no excuse for missing the 5 second active UI demo from Sony. I admit that Sony did indeed show their user interface in action for an entire 5 seconds performing one task during their "unveiling".

Briankbl

Reaction score
So you don't see the power cords and ethernet cables and transmitters. Are you seriously saying that they had a bogus Xbox One on the stage? Are you saying they faked it... because we can go there if you want. And we can talk about what Sony did.

And what do you mean by excuses? I have no excuse for missing the 5 second active UI demo from Sony. I admit that Sony did indeed show their user interface in action for an entire 5 seconds performing one task during their "unveiling".

All I'm saying is that the only things both Sony and Microsoft have right now are devkits! Neither has finalized hardware or software! Why is that so hard for you to accept? We are still several months away from a launch from either console. Nothing they have is finalized. They were not using a production model Xbox One. They were running off devkits for their live cable tv demos.

There was a reason why they had NO LIVE GAMEPLAY DEMOS. And according to all the press in attendance, they were allowed to interact with the controller and Kinect backstage, but NOT THE CONSOLE. What does that tell you? Also, there were no games backstage to go hands on with. Only wire frame tech demos. Sony had a full, 8 minute long live gameplay demo!

I'd like to see your response to all this.

Check & Mate lol

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
All I'm saying is that the only things both Sony and Microsoft have right now are devkits! Neither has finalized hardware or software! Why is that so hard for you to accept? We are still several months away from a launch from either console. Nothing they have is finalized. They were not using a production model Xbox One. They were running off devkits for their live cable tv demos.

There was a reason why they had NO LIVE GAMEPLAY DEMOS. And according to all the press in attendance, they were allowed to interact with the controller and Kinect backstage, but NOT THE CONSOLE. What does that tell you? Also, there were no games backstage to go hands on with. Only wire frame tech demos. Sony had a full, 8 minute long live gameplay demo!

I'd like to see your response to all this.

Check & Mate lol

Checkmate. Really? C'mon, bro.

Sony had game developers showing gameplay demos. They didn't show anything they had THEMSELVES. Seems like it was a release announcement for everyone except Sony. No console, no UI, ZERO feature demos just a bunch of descriptions of what they'd like to do. Showing one entered command over the course of 5 seconds on a mockup UI is not a feature demo. MS showed more features in 5 minutes than Sony did over the course of TWO HOURS.

MS only has a few fully operating Xbox One demo units available, and they don't want 300 reporters picking up and handling it for an hour. Is that unreasonable? Where was the Sony hands on model for the journalists to play with? Sony showed up with a controller... THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE ANYTHING TO TELL THE JOURNALISTS NOT TO PICK UP.

This was an event for MS to show off its new Xbox, and they did that. They DEMONSTRATED at least a dozen features live on stage without a hitch, and highlighted their partnerships. Next the game developers will show their games during THEIR release announcements for the Xbox One. Thats how it works.

Imagine a car manufacturer unveiling a new car where they roll a single wheel onstage. Then they talk about the car's specs how they promise to make the seats really comfortable. SiriusXM sends a guy onstage to show new radio features on a video. Then they show a live bumper cam feed of someone driving the test mule around a course, and nothing else. That's basically what Sony did.

I'm sure the PS4 is going to be a really nice console... but you just can't say their announcement showed you anything. You just can't.

Last edited:

Briankbl

Reaction score
Sony had game developers showing gameplay demos. They didn't show anything they had THEMSELVES. Seems like it was a release announcement for everyone except Sony. No console, no UI, ZERO feature demos just a bunch of descriptions of what they'd like to do. Showing one entered command over the course of 5 seconds on a mockup UI is not a feature demo. MS showed more features in 5 minutes than Sony did over the course of TWO HOURS.

MS only has a few fully operating Xbox One demo units available, and they don't want 300 reporters picking up and handling it for an hour. Is that unreasonable? Where was the Sony hands on model for the journalists to play with? Sony showed up with a controller... THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE ANYTHING TO TELL THE JOURNALISTS NOT TO PICK UP.

This was an event for MS to show off its new Xbox, and they did that. They ran through at least a dozen features and highlighted their partnerships. Next the game developers will show their games during THEIR release announcements for the Xbox One. Thats how it works.

Imagine a car manufacturer unveiling a new car where they roll a single wheel onstage. Then they talk about the car's specs how they promise to make the seats really comfortable. Then they show a live bumper cam video feed of a driver driving the test mule around a course, and nothing else. That's basically what Sony did.

I'm sure the PS4 is going to be a really nice console... but you just can't say their announcement showed you anything. You just can't.

Checkmate. Really? C'mon, bro.

1) Quit calling me bro. Thanks.

2) This line right here proves your bias:
"MS showed more features in 5 minutes than Sony did over the course of TWO HOURS."
That's a ridiculous statement to make.

3) Sony had a full, live, on stage gameplay demo. Microsoft had none. Why is that?

4) Sony went over tons of features that the PS4 was going to have, even showing the ability to share gameplay videos live on stage. Just because they didn't show live demos of everything, doesn't mean those features aren't real features the console is going to have.

5) Just because you don't believe what Sony showed was real doesn't make you right.

6) Again, Microsoft does not have any final hardware. None. Absolutely nothing. Just devkits! Why on earth would they have finalized hardware, no firm release window other than "later this year", and NOT SHOW A SINGLE LIVE ON STAGE GAMEPLAY DEMO? This is a game console, no? I understand this is an all in one box, just like PS4, PS3, and Xbox 360...but seriously, not one live on stage gameplay demo.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
1) Quit calling me bro. Thanks.

2) This line right here proves your bias:
"MS showed more features in 5 minutes than Sony did over the course of TWO HOURS."
That's a ridiculous statement to make.

3) Sony had a full, live, on stage gameplay demo. Microsoft had none. Why is that?

4) Sony went over tons of features that the PS4 was going to have, even showing the ability to share gameplay videos live on stage. Just because they didn't show live demos of everything, doesn't mean those features aren't real features the console is going to have.

5) Just because you don't believe what Sony showed was real doesn't make you right.

6) Again, Microsoft does not have any final hardware. None. Absolutely nothing. Just devkits! Why on earth would they have finalized hardware, no firm release window other than "later this year", and NOT SHOW A SINGLE LIVE ON STAGE GAMEPLAY DEMO? This is a game console, no? I understand this is an all in one box, just like PS4, PS3, and Xbox 360...but seriously, not one live on stage gameplay demo.

1) Listen, bro...

2) Ridiculous? List any features Sony ACTUALLY DEMOED live on stage. I CHALLENGE YOU TO MAKE A LIST OF THE FEATURES SONY ACTUALLY SHOWED IN ACTION FROM START TO FINISH DURING THEIR ENTIRE ANNOUNCEMENT. And in turn, I will make a list of the features Yusuf Mehdi demonstrated in his 5 minutes onstage. Yes or no. If you don't respond to this you KNOW you're FULL of it.

3) Sony had a person off stage playing an unfinished game on a developers rig with cutscenes for 8 minutes. That's great for the game developer, but what did Sony achieve? Seems like that was to show off what the developer was making for Sony, not what Sony themselves had to offer. Sure it shows me that Sony has great graphics... There's more to a console than that. Sony left tons of stuff out... What is the interface like? Is the UI smooth? Exactly how will I interact with it? Is the controller the only way to interact? If not, can you demonstrate? Can it perform the tasks as advertised? Show me. ...They didn't. you know nothing about how the PS4 plans to deliver any of its content.

4) MS went over tons of features AND showed them in action... Live... Onstage. They even had a demo box backstage for journalists to use, but admittedly they didn't let them touch the actual console. Sony TALKED about features. They showed one task.. One 5 second input and immediately faded out before it even confirmed the task was completed. You'd figure if they took the stage for 2 HOURS they'd show more features in action. 95% of their features demo consisted of still screens with video vignettes and not an actual working UI performing any tasks except for ONE for 5 seconds.

5) Sony didn't prove that they have anything ready! Everything they did was behind a curtain and shown after it was running. The worst was the PS Vita demo where they don't show how it works or what steps are involved. The guy just walks from back stage and says, "...Here I am using the remote console. This looks great." Then he hands off the PS Vita and it disappears backstage. You're asking me to believe a lot with that one.

6) MS has WORKING DEMO BOXES! The journalists have used them. They just don't have any third party software to show off right now. Sony had their announcement months ago and STILL not a single feature has been officially shown in the flesh. In the past 90 days have we seen anything besides gameplay demos?

Before you ask me to show you a gameplay demo I totally concede that the developers haven't made one for the Xbox, and I'll give MS a pass on that. MS has, however, shown their console and it's features in action and has let others use it. Sony has yet to do that.

EDIT: This is my last post here I'll move to the other thread.