Please help me set up my work email account

Djnardu

Reaction score
I already have my personal email account set up but it will not allow me to set up my work email..

This is exactly as it reads in my outlook settings

Username [email protected]

Pop3server mail.meritkitchen.com

Password-------

Incoming 110

Outgoing 1025

This is exactly how ive tried to set up my mail account on my phone and even tried it on gmail.com to no avail what am I doing wrong.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
First off, I recommend using the K9 mail client instead of the stock client.

For user name you might want to leave out the @meritkitchen.com part.

Try experimenting with whether or not authentication is turned on.

Is this a work account to which you connect only from work? If so, they may be blocking any attempt to connect from an outside network...such as verizon.

OP
D

Djnardu

Reaction score
I thought it might be being blocked but almost everyone else there have blackberries and such which all work fine.

harrellj

Reaction score
Blackberries access email differently than other smart phones, especially when talking enterprise. I'd bet your company has a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) which allows Blackberries to interface with the network via RIM securely. Which unfortunately, means they aren't a good comparison. If non-Blackberry using people are able to access their email still, then I'd say bring it up with your company's IT department. For one thing, they'll know what settings need to be used (such as what authentication is needed and even security levels) as well as whether it is even possible.

thunter

Reaction score
Can you access your company's email via your home computer? Are you matching those setting? I too recommend K-9 as the mail client on your phone. It's great and really the only way to go for non-gmail access (IMHO).

I wonder if you have the wrong port settings? Be very interesting to see what your home computer says if you can connect.

patryn150

Reaction score
Your outbound port looks horribly wrong, it should likely be 25 unless you are using SSL (465 then). As aminaked pointed out, your username is likely without the @domain.com info. I'm not certain how many companies do this, but my job has a different outbound setting when I'm on my phone and not my outlook. Ours is smtpauth.domain.com and it requires us to authenticate as well as use SSL. We do this to prevent open relaying.

When in doubt, check with your corporate IT on how the blackberries are configured. Chances are it's a 1:1 transition from their mail settings to yours.

GoldWinger88

Reaction score
If you are running a pop3 account. be sure the incoming is mail.meritkitchen.com
and outgoing is smtp.meritkitchen.com
You might also need to check for ssl or all certificates, etc

OP
D

Djnardu

Reaction score
The error I keep getting is Incorrect user or password. I tried the username without the domain. And the outbound port is exactly as it is stated within my outlook, I can change it to 25 but I dont know if it would affect me sending out mail on our closed network.

Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Changing the port is worth a shot. Why not try it?

Also...you're not actually entering the dashes ------ for your user name and password, are you?

Leonard Wong

Reaction score
Your SMTP server is a run by something called carrierzone.com.

If you look at their website, they have a (really old) configuration screen for Thunderbird:

Your username is your email address, but changing the "@" to a "."

So if your email address is [email protected], your username is: jsmith.meritkitchen.com.

http://carrierzone.com/Thunderbird.htm

Maybe that will help.

OP
D

Djnardu

Reaction score
Thanks alot I will try that when I get chance, mind filling in all the blanks for me?

So according to you it should look like this

Email [email protected]
Password ----------

Incoming
POP3
Server mail.meritkitchen.com
Port 110
Username -----.meritkitchen.com
password --------

Outgoing
Server should it be SMTP.meritkitchen.com or mail.meritkitchen.com <-"that is what I see as SMTP in outlook"

Port 1025 <-"Again this is what I see in outlook"
Password ------------

does this look right? anything I should change?

OP
D

Djnardu

Reaction score
Your SMTP server is a run by something called carrierzone.com.

If you look at their website, they have a (really old) configuration screen for Thunderbird:

Your username is your email address, but changing the "@" to a "."

So if your email address is [email protected], your username is: jsmith.meritkitchen.com.

Eudora6

Maybe that will help.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

After a week of frustration of trying to figure this out changing my username to the "." instead of @ exactly solved my problem!

I cant be more grateful.