Please help: Gmail has taken over my other pop3 accounts!

ly92078

Reaction score
Have had a droid for 2 months.

A few days ago I became aware that Gmail was listing my Gmail "from" address for ALL my outgoing emails, even the ones from non Gmail accounts. People were sending replies to the Gmail account, which I don't want! I removed those non Gmail accounts from the droid email program. That did not help. The Gmail "from" address was still on my outgoing emails from non Gmail accounts...even if I sent the emails from my laptop. The only other change I did in the past few days was activate an invitation to google voice; wouldn't think that would change my email (?).

How can I stop this?? Thanks.

OP
L

ly92078

Reaction score
Found the problem...Gmail actually went in and changed the settings on my laptop email program (Pegasus). Amazing that it would do that...Not sure how it did it...or why. Not happy that it did do that...wonder if it will do it again if i put those pops on the droid email program.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Found the problem...Gmail actually went in and changed the settings on my laptop email program (Pegasus).

What leads you to think this?

OP
L

ly92078

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply.
I have Pegasus mail ver 4.5 on my latop. Went into settings on one of my pop3 accounts. On the general settings the first box is labeled "my internet email address is" and where before it had been [email protected], it was changed to [email protected]. I did NOT make that change (didn't even know where it was till I went over and over trying to solve the problem). After I changed it back to [email protected] the emails I sent had the proper "from" label. I have no idea, yet, what caused Gmail to change that setting on a program on my laptop..kind of spooky. I am sure I must have done something; but I am SURE I did not change that setting directly myself. I will reload those pop3 accounts on the droid email and see if that replicates the problem.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Found the problem...Gmail actually went in and changed the settings on my laptop email program (Pegasus).

What leads you to think this?

Because people don't like to admit that they, however unintentional could have screwed something up themselves... It's easier to blame something else

To the OP... GMail will NOT and CANNOT change anything on your computer that you do not tell it to and, more importantly ALLOW it to... Now you may have not have realized what you were doing or, more likely what you were telling it (gmail or your mail client) but I assure you that neither Gmail or any part of Google "took over" or 'changed' anything on your machine without your permission and instruction.

Note: if you can replicate the problem in a way that any of us can repeat than I will be more than happy to try to figure out just what it is that you are doing or more likely unintentionally doing to try to keep if from happening again.

Last edited:

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's definitely no way that gmail would have changed the settings in your mail client. You might not have intentionally changed the settings but that doesn't mean that gmail made the change. It's technically not possible.

OP
L

ly92078

Reaction score
I have not been able to reproduce the change in Pegasus email program as described above I agree with the above comments...I just have no idea how the setting got changed. Anyway it has been corrected. So much to learn as a droid newbe.