Playstation 4

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
So picked up my console & 3 games thanks to a buy 2 get 1 free deal; Assassin's Creed 4, 2k14, and Madden 25.

For those of you that managed to get your hands on a system, what games did you get? How are you enjoying them?

And also any thoughts about the system. I know it's a bit premature to ask, but did it live up to the hype for you? Did you expect something a bit more or wish there was something different about it? And most of all, that Dualshock 4 controller, wow what an improvement, thoughts on this?

I'm going to give it a couple days, but I'll post up a review on my experience with the ps4 hopefully the end of this weekend. Looking to get some real gaming in this weekend, only played about an hour of each game today.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Got Battlefield 4, COD Ghosts, Need for Speed, Killzone. BF4 is beautiful when it works.

COD is the front runner for me right now because it is actually working.

NFS is pretty cool but lacking in the multi-player I feel.

Killzone is eh, and the free game they give you Warframe is pretty cool for a free one.

Controller is awesome, headset situation is terrible. Party chat is awesome.

U I is better for sure. I am pleased so far.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What you mean BF4 doesn't work? Or are the servers lousy?

KZ I thought would be kinda boring, even though I bought 2 and 3. Probably gonna wait for a price drop on that one.

UI and system speed are loads faster than the ps3 ever was. The fact you can use different "apps" without quitting a game is awesome too.

So far very impressed, but will give final initial impressions hopefully tomorrow or Monday.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
First impressions and Review

So after 2 days of ownership of my ps4 I would like to sum up some thoughts I have about the system.

#1: The hardware

This system is pretty, simple as that. It's simple and conservative in design, but it has some elegance to it. The two tone color is a nice touch, compared to the old original ps3 mine sits next to. Far more simple design, but looks about 20x better than the launch ps3. It's much smaller, and almost unnoticeable next to it the way I have mine set up. Sony was aiming for it to be their best looking hardware, I'd have to agree with that. And also the light bar, subtle but looks dang good.

As for the DS4 controller, night and day compared to the DS3. It is far more comfy to hold and game on. It feels more premium and precise. It may still be plastic, but it's that sort of higher quality plastic we've come familiar with on our phones, and it doesn't feel like a toy compared to its predecessor. I put in about 3hrs of AC4 straight last night and at no point were my hands fatigued. The huge downside to it is the battery life, 3hrs and my battery was half dead. So marathon sessions will be short, or you better have a second, maybe even third controller on standby. And the concave thumb sticks, about time Sony implemented it, world of difference that I'm sure 360 owners already know about, something I always envied of the 360 controller.

#2: The games
I admit to not picking up the games that really push the system to its limits; COD, BF4, and KZ probably take that crown. I personally grabbed AC4, 2k14, and Madden. All 3 are better on ps4 than they ever were on ps3. I can play AC without the lag that's become all too common with the series. 2k14 plays about the same as 2k13 did (which is an excellent game), but the graphics are night and day. The graphics really immerse you into the game. And as for Madden, same old formula, but looks prettier. I wouldn't say the graphics are as significant from ps3 to ps4 version as with 2k, but it does look pretty darn good.

I did try out KZ for a bit, and was really impressed with the graphics. It reminded me of KZ2 when it launched for the ps3, show off the potential of what the system can push.

#3: The UI

The UI is familiar but far improved. If I had to compare it, I would compare the jump from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich.

The fact you can leave a game and browse the web or something else is awesome. The UI is fluid, fast, and looks great. With future updates I'm sure there will be more features, but from what little I tried, it was great.

The share feature is pretty slick. Lets you edit and upload straight to Facebook. I've shared a few things that way and it's pretty cool. I have yet to do the livestream yet though.

#4: The app

I cannot tell you how helpful the official playstation app is. Letting you use your phone or tablet as a keyboard has been amazing, especially with the amount of messages I send. I wonder if in the future an update would allow the device to really be used as a second monitor or even a virtual controller. One good way I can think of the app to be used is with Madden, allow users to draw up their own plays.

Closing thoughts:
The launch lineup is pretty weak, it basically appeals to two types of players: FPS and sports. I wish they had an exclusive with more following than KZ, but it is what it is and I am happy with my choice of games, they'll keep me entertained for months to come. That being said, I think the launch games show what next gen is capable of and that we can definitely expect better games. Sports games are off to a great start and feel more genuine. Games that require alot of power such as AC and KZ are running smooth and without much of a hiccup. What the future holds for games on the ps4 is something truly exciting, especially since these launch titles are only at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to pushing the system.

I do have one gripe and it's going to happenw ith the next generation of consoles too; initial setup. The first thing I did with my brand new, fresh out of the box ps4 is, update the firmware. That's annoying. The fact that day 1 servers are slammed, downloading a patch takes twice as long as it should. Once it's downloaded you gotta install it and that is another wait. Total time of initial setup including install of firmware and game installation of 2k14; 48min. That is ridiculous. Now 2k14 lets you play a quick game of set teams, but c'mon... I really miss the days of cartridges where you just stick the game in and you play; no install, no wait, no blood pressure spikes.

All that being said, I am happy with my purchase. Right off the bat two games I really enjoy were launched, 2k and AC. As I said I have yet to try out all the features, but so far I'm impressed and I'm sure the PSCamera adds a whole different dynamic. Games will be easier to develop compared to ps3 and I think in turn means higher quality games. Everyone feared console gaming was dying, I think with this release and the One next week, consoles could be on the rise again. Price point may be a bit high in this economy still, especially with initial purchase, but I see these two consoles really pushing the industry forward.

Just like my ps3, I look forward to the future of games. I can now officially say, the ps3 feels dated. I never thought that until this weekend.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah they are having major problems with Battlefield 4. If you play the single player, they have people who's save file is being corrupted and it loses all their data. If you play online the big mode everyone likes is not working at all, Conquest.

If you manage to get into a server, chances are you will get dropped during the game if not right after.

And then there are still a bunch of people who are getting corrupt saved file errors even on multi player, when the only thing you save is your game preferences. Which is a real shame because when it is working, BF4 on PS4 is the most beautiful game I have seen.

My friend made the comment and I tend to agree. Playing BF4 on PS4 compared to PS3 is like VHS and Blu-Ray. Even Ghosts which looked pretty terrible in my opinion on the Xbox 360 manages to look pretty dang nice.

All in all, I am still very happy I switched over to the PS4, and don't see myself missing the Xbox One with their 720p games upscaled to 1080p.

lowvolt

Reaction score
I have heard there are all kinds of issues with the PS4. Blue light of death, metal in the HDMI port. Not booting, no video. Etc. Etc.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I have heard there are all kinds of issues with the PS4. Blue light of death, metal in the HDMI port. Not booting, no video. Etc. Etc.

True, but that's a small small percentage of the total. Bad news always makes the most news after all. Remember all the 360 failures?

Now if you got say 10 friends who got one and 5 of them go down, I would be concerned. However out of those 10, even 1 is unlikely.

That being said, mine has been flawless.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As for BF4 Sydman, that stinks. Comes with the growing pains of owning the first units of a new system.

I personally think the One falls short resolution wise and I expected 1080p across the board or at least close to it. So far only ps4 has hit that mark, but I'm sure once the One has been more developed for as well, their resolution will improve. However with that being said and how the ps4 is supposedly 50% more powerful, what devs come up with for ps4 could be amazing and be the real difference maker other than resolution.

We'll see though. I think at the end of the day it's something not too noticeable and doesn't change the way a game plays all that much. Definitely doesn't help the One though.

lowvolt

Reaction score
Does anyone know when DLNA will be available on PS4? I use my PS3 to stream all the time.

OP
dezymond

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Does anyone know when DLNA will be available on PS4? I use my PS3 to stream all the time.

Word is the next update, or after. I got a feeling next patch is going to be stability/optimization patch without any new features, but I could be wrong. Have no idea when that would be.

Pretty lame how it doesn't support mp3 or DLNA yet.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
They are working on BF4, supposed to have a patch next week. As you say though, growing pains. I did however give KillZone another shot and I have to say it is quite awesome. Game is beautiful, I am just having to get used to the mechanics as I have never played a KillZone before.

Have done quite a bit of racing on the NFS, and even enjoying Extinction mode on COD Ghosts.

As for blue light of death and other issues, it is indeed a very small percentage, around 6%. Now we will remember that is much less than the about 80% of Xbox 360s that had problems in the beginning.

I am sure Microsoft is smirking at the PS4 launch, but their day is coming up and it will be interesting to see how it plays out for them on their launch.