Sony E3 2013 Press Conference (PlayStation 4)

Briankbl

Reaction score
gaming-playstation-4-sony-first-full-look-at-hardware-e3-2013-e.jpg

Sony closed out the night with the final press conference before the official start of E3 2013. With everything riding on this event, Sony held no punches...NONE! Taking their competition head-on, Sony took off the gloves, threw on some brass knucks, and went to work!

PlayStation Vita

• 85+ Vita games coming out by the end of the year, including: God of War 1 & 2, Final Fantasy X & X-2, Flower, and Dead Nation.

PlayStation 3

• New trailers for Gran Turismo 6, The Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, & Arkham Origins (including exclusive DLC)

PlayStation 4

• Release Date: Holiday 2013
  • $399, no camera included, no other sku's detailed
  • The PS4 console itself was revealed
  • Complete support for used games, no DRM
  • No "Always Online" requirement to play games
  • No 24-hour "ping checks"
  • PlayStation Plus membership carries over to the PS4, required to play online multiplayer
  • PlayStation Plus members get DriveClub: PS Plus Edition for free on day one
  • PlayStation Plus members will get one free game per month, continuing the Instant Game Collection program
  • Gaikai Cloud Service not launching until 2014
  • Flixster and Redbox Instant are coming to PSN
  • Nine indie games debuting first on PS4
  • Final Fantasy versus XIII has been renamed to Final Fantasy XV
  • Elder Scrolls Online is coming to the PS4 in Spring 2014
  • Launch titles include: Knack, Killzone Shadow Fall, and DriveClub
  • inFAMOUS: Second Son is due in Q1 2014
  • New Game Announcements - The Order: 1886, Kingdom Hearts 3, Mad Max, & 9 new indie titles
  • Key demos and trailers include - inFAMOUS: Second Son, Final Fantasy XV, Killzone: Shadow Fall, DriveClub, Assassin's Creed IV, Watch Dogs, and Destiny

The reaction to Sony's direct jabs at Microsoft were off the charts! Biggest reaction I've ever seen during an E3 press conference. With the PS4 coming in at $100 less than the Xbox One and not requiring internet and DRM checks, Sony hit it out of the park. I also love the look of the console. It's very reminiscent of the PlayStation 2 design. As always, just in case anyone missed it, I have the entire Sony conference below.

For more discussions on the PS4 be sure to check out the DroidForums.net Gaming Forum: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/gaming-forum/

Last edited:

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;NOoJ6ucEY8g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOoJ6ucEY8g[/video]

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Can't believe I am saying it, but Sony wins. Do DRM, no always connected to the Internet, no pay to play online, plus free games with the Plus pass which is still 10 bucks cheaper than Xbox live. And the system costs $100 less.

Sorry M$ you are too focused on things other than gamers, that does not work with a gaming console.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm curious how much the games are going to be. I mean, when the 360 adn PS3 came out, games went up to $60 because of the extra time and money that went into making the graphics so much better, are they going to go up again? Making such realistic games will take longer and much more investment of capital.

OP
Briankbl

Briankbl

Reaction score
I'm curious how much the games are going to be. I mean, when the 360 adn PS3 came out, games went up to $60 because of the extra time and money that went into making the graphics so much better, are they going to go up again? Making such realistic games will take longer and much more investment of capital.

Latest rumor has Electronic Arts games at $69.99

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
DG,

When you take into account the game trading, and the like, its a game changer for "purist" gamers.

For example, I have an X360 and it hasn't been online in weeks. And I don't miss it. I play games when I turn it on. The fact I WON'T be able to do that with the new iteration turns me off. Big time.

There are 2 different things here, people who want "entertainment" and people who play games. Games fall under entertainment, but I feel MS has forgotten that they originally created a "gaming" console. They are trying WAY too hard to make it a cable box and a boxee box and Netflix and a YouTube watcher and a web browser and maybe have some games, occasionally.

Just my 2¢

"Notarized"

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know what Im saving up for christmas to get.

tumblr_m6s3vi5pkh1r3g5iu.gif

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
-Xbox won it for me last gen.

-I'm leaning Playstation for this one.

-Might ditch both for PC.

soulpatch

Reaction score
Also, stating the PS4 is $100 bucks cheaper is really an "apples to oranges" comparison. The Xbox One comes with the Kinect/Smart Glass for $499, whereas the PS4 does not include the Playstation Eye in that price. If you add the PS4 Eye into the price it ends up being $509, which is $10 bucks more than the Xbox One.
The eye is $59 so worst case the PS4 would still be $40 cheaper then the One. just saying.I will give credit where it's due. Sony scored a major coup with their strong stance on supporting gamers with no DRM, and no "always Online." Kudos to them for being bold and aggressive with this move. In the long run, however, I worry that this could negatively affect developers who might gravitate toward the Xbox One because they are better protected from piracy. Who knows how this will ultimately play out. If you look closely at the PC gaming industry, you will see how everything will eventually evolve toward cloud-based game purchases anyway, which effectively eliminates buying and selling used games and/or lending games to friends. This means it will eventually happen to consoles as well. We may not like it, but it is inevitable.Regardless, great write-up Briankbl! Thanks for sharing this with us![/QUOTE]Sure the devs are more covered but I think the resounding WTF from gamers shook the ground a bit. I personally will not get a system that I can not play used games on or trade games with my select friends. I am normally a bit late to the game for everything except select blockbuster games so I get them used. Get rid of that and I would not buy them as well as not buy downloadable content later.I seriously think there needs to be some pushback or legislation against all of this. This is akin to saying you could not loan a movie to a friend or sell your car when you want. This is not a subscription model that would play out for that. If you want to charge me a fee to play a game then fine. I will pay and cancel when done but at the rate many of us go through games they would lose out money. My PS3 is a glorified blu ray player and I use my 360 for all of my gaming needs. I will gladly shift allegience again since Sony seems to know what we all want instead of pushing a ton of boundries at once. Perhaps if MSFT had slowly rolled it out it would have been better but at once....Bah.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sony won e3 last night, hands down. Their show was the complete opposite of MS, working audio and all. I think alot of the Xbox fanboys jumped ship last night.

OP
Briankbl

Briankbl

Reaction score
Sony won e3 last night, hands down. Their show was the complete opposite of MS, working audio and all. I think alot of the Xbox fanboys jumped ship last night.

It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. That Assassin's Creed demo...lol. And then the slight hiccups during the Destiny demo.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P

I know I did. I already knew I probably was not going to get the Xbox One, however, I wasn't even considering the PS4. Now I am going to pre-order the PS4 on Amazon and sell my extra Xbox 360 and Kinect for 170, so the PS4 will only cost me $220.

No need for an eye, the only thing I use the Kinect for is voice commands, I can just stop being lazy.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. That Assassin's Creed demo...lol. And then the slight hiccups during the Destiny demo.

I actually missed the second half of the conference live. I'm watching it now. A friend told me there were no hiccups, but I think he was just blown away at the key points of the PS4 vs the One so he was a bit excited.

IMO, I don't see how the One could really keep up. It's a neat device and definite entertainment hub, so they are going after a broader market, but I mean e3 is about gamers and they certainly weren't very gamer friendly, again my opinion.

OP
Briankbl

Briankbl

Reaction score
I actually missed the second half of the conference live. I'm watching it now. A friend told me there were no hiccups, but I think he was just blown away at the key points of the PS4 vs the One so he was a bit excited.

IMO, I don't see how the One could really keep up. It's a neat device and definite entertainment hub, so they are going after a broader market, but I mean e3 is about gamers and they certainly weren't very gamer friendly, again my opinion.

Yeah, the Assassin's Creed demo kept freezing and they eventually had to pull the plug and move onto another presentation. The Destiny demo only froze once or twice. Live demos, it happens.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yeah, the Assassin's Creed demo kept freezing and they eventually had to pull the plug and move onto another presentation. The Destiny demo only froze once or twice. Live demos, it happens.

At AC4 part now. And yup there's quite a bit of hiccups.

Square Enix killed it:hail:

Last edited: