Phone Wont Update

tbt666

Reaction score
So last night i recieved a popup saying that there was a new update out, update 9.18.79. It was kinda late when it popped up do i downloaded it and decided to wait till in the morning to install it. When i installed it, it came up with the green android guy looking like it was working until all the sudden the Android guy with a red caution sign came up and then my phone resets telling me the update failed. I may have deleted google chrome from my device at one time with titanium backup (Backing it up first of course) and then reinstalling the market version of google chrome. So thats probably wy it isnt updating. My question is, how do i fix it so it will update?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
So last night i recieved a popup saying that there was a new update out, update 9.18.79. It was kinda late when it popped up do i downloaded it and decided to wait till in the morning to install it. When i installed it, it came up with the green android guy looking like it was working until all the sudden the Android guy with a red caution sign came up and then my phone resets telling me the update failed. I may have deleted google chrome from my device at one time with titanium backup (Backing it up first of course) and then reinstalling the market version of google chrome. So thats probably wy it isnt updating. My question is, how do i fix it so it will update?
If you replaced Chrome that should not be causing the problem. Are you rooted? Do you have apps that are frozen or disabled? Your phone has to be stock for a successful update?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

OP
T

tbt666

Reaction score
Well Google chrome was a system app so if it gets removed then the phone sees that and won't let u update. I am rooted although I have voodoo root keeper which can temp unroot ur device so I know that's not the problem, there are no frozen apps either.

Last edited:

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Well Google chrome was a system app so if it gets removed then the phone sees that and won't let u update. I am rooted although I have voodoo root keeper which can temp unroot ur device so I know that's not the problem, there are no frozen apps either.
Yeah, I'm rooted and unlocked so I know what you are saying. If you've replaced Crome and you are other wise stock and temp unrooted then you should be ok. Did you install a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM. If so I believe you will have to replace those with the stock recovery. If you made a complete backup of your stock configuration before you made any other changes to your phone then flashing the stock backup will replace your stock recovery. It's a good practice to freeze or rename apps instead of uninstalling them or deleting them. Memory on these phone is pretty substantial, no need to delete apps like in the ole' days. Some bloat can be deleted and third party apps that you installed and later decide you don't want can be installed, but if you need root in order to delete an app...don't delete it, freeze or rename it.

KaChow

Reaction score

If you would, take a look at this thread. Since, the OTA was first released, I have been filling this thread with a vast amount of information, in addition to working with members to find specific solutions to their individual situations. But look here first.....

OP
T

tbt666

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm rooted and unlocked so I know what you are saying. If you've replaced Crome and you are other wise stock and temp unrooted then you should be ok. Did you install a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM. If so I believe you will have to replace those with the stock recovery. If you made a complete backup of your stock configuration before you made any other changes to your phone then flashing the stock backup will replace your stock recovery. It's a good practice to freeze or rename apps instead of uninstalling them or deleting them. Memory on these phone is pretty substantial, no need to delete apps like in the ole' days. Some bloat can be deleted and third party apps that you installed and later decide you don't want can be installed, but if you need root in order to delete an app...don't delete it, freeze or rename it.

I agree, freezing apps works a lot better. Of course for me its to late for that and I'm going to have to fix this somehow. There was one time when I was.... curious and thought Hummm I wonder if I back up the system chrome and then restore it if it will still be the same package.... so like every curious person, I tested it... I backed it up then uninstalled it and reinstalled it........ not the best idea I've ever had ...whatsoever....... no I have to find a way to fix it, if there is one without having to start all over. I dont have any different recoveries flashed onto my phone either..

OP
T

tbt666

Reaction score
so i have a update for this thread, i tried updating again and of course, it failed. So i decided to check to see exactly what the problem was and it its the chrome browser. So i need to know if theres anyone who can help me fix this cause i would like to be able to update my phone again and would appreciate help from anyone who knows how to fix it.