Why is my phone blocking popups?

MagicFish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Chess365.com is an amazingly useful site that I signed up to, but now, all of a sudden, I can't download a single game from it. When I try, I get a message saying that my device (an Android smartphone) is blocking popups. I've checked Internet Explorer, Google, Google Chrome, and none of them are now blocking popups. What can I do to resolve this? Has anyone out there experienced this problem and can offer any advice?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Yes, welcome!

In addition, I'm not sure what kind of games you're trying to download, but if they're not android apps, they won't run on the phone anyway.

Also, it's generally not a good idea to install apps on an android device that aren't from the official Google Play Store, as they could be littered with malicious code (viruses/etc.)

We might be better able to assist you if you can provide a bit more information.

OP
M

MagicFish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Yes, welcome!

In addition, I'm not sure what kind of games you're trying to download, but if they're not android apps, they won't run on the phone anyway.

Also, it's generally not a good idea to install apps on an android device that aren't from the official Google Play Store, as they could be littered with malicious code (viruses/etc.)

We might be better able to assist you if you can provide a bit more information.
Yes, welcome!

Thanks all for your response. It's just a chess website with millions of games that can be downloaded and played through. They're not apps. I've resolved the problem. My internet search engine (the globe icon - I'm sorry I confused you by calling it Internet Explorer!) had cached too many previous pages I'd visited and had kept them open without my knowing it. Once I'd closed them all, Chess365.com was working fine again.
Thanks again for your help. This is a great forum. I'm glad I'm signed up to it!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Glad you got 'er figured out! Sounds like you were asking too much of the browser. Good lesson to be learned there. It's quite common for people to not realize that the phone's opening other tabs if they don't know how to tell that it is.