Why is my phone blocking popups?

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by MagicFish, Oct 30, 2014.

1. MagicFish

MagicFish New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Chess365.com is an amazingly useful site that I signed up to, but now, all of a sudden, I can't download a single game from it. When I try, I get a message saying that my device (an Android smartphone) is blocking popups. I've checked Internet Explorer, Google, Google Chrome, and none of them are now blocking popups. What can I do to resolve this? Has anyone out there experienced this problem and can offer any advice?

2. leeshor

leeshor Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,676
    Welcome to the forum

You had me at Internet Explorer, since there is no such Android browser.;) Try Firefox or Dolphin Browser, both support the option to allow pop-ups.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,406
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Yes, welcome!

In addition, I'm not sure what kind of games you're trying to download, but if they're not android apps, they won't run on the phone anyway.

Also, it's generally not a good idea to install apps on an android device that aren't from the official Google Play Store, as they could be littered with malicious code (viruses/etc.)

We might be better able to assist you if you can provide a bit more information.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MagicFish

MagicFish New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Current Phone Model:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Thanks all for your response. It's just a chess website with millions of games that can be downloaded and played through. They're not apps. I've resolved the problem. My internet search engine (the globe icon - I'm sorry I confused you by calling it Internet Explorer!) had cached too many previous pages I'd visited and had kept them open without my knowing it. Once I'd closed them all, Chess365.com was working fine again.
    Thanks again for your help. This is a great forum. I'm glad I'm signed up to it!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,406
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Glad you got 'er figured out! Sounds like you were asking too much of the browser. Good lesson to be learned there. It's quite common for people to not realize that the phone's opening other tabs if they don't know how to tell that it is.

• Like Like x 1