phone won't turn on with battery pulled (while plugged into wall)

GrandWazoo

Reaction score
I was trying to get information off of an old micro sd card, so I wanted to plug it into my D2 to transfer it onto my computer since I have lost the sd card shell. I needed to pull my battery to reach the sd card, but the phone turned off when I tried it.

It isn't a big deal, since I just restarted my phone to make it work, but that seems like an awful idea in case someone's battery went wonky (which isn't exactly the rarest event in the world). If my battery was on the fritz, I would want my phone to be able to work by running off of wall power, rather than it telling me it's useless without a battery installed. Does anyone know why motoroloa would do something so asinine?

lizard

Reaction score
Turn phone off. Remove battery. Install old SD card. Turn phone on. Your phone should run without a card even in it. Try and see.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
The phone does not run without a battery installed and plugged into wall.

You can accomplish what you want by installing the SD card you want info from into your phone. Then plug phone into your computer and choose "Mass Storage Mode". (pull your notification bar down and open the usb connected to choose it.) You will then be able to access the SD card as if it were a separate drive and copy files from or to it.

lizard

Reaction score
Of course he would also have to put battery back in. Just didn't feel like tyyping the obvious, since OP clearly said phone will not run w/o battery.

OP
G

GrandWazoo

Reaction score
I think you all misinterpreted what I was saying in my original post. I had already successfully switched sd cards, hence my already knowing the battery had to be pulled. I was merely commenting that the design of the droid 2 is asinine in that respect. For instance, there is an option to unmount the sd card for safe removal, even though the phone needs to be off for the actual, physical removal.