Phone storage space is getting low... Help!!

le_death_cab

Reaction score
ok, ive read what feels like a million forums now on this, and they all seem to have the simplest and non-detailed information. This notification is really starting to bug me, and i want to try all possible options before doing a hard reset. For the past week now, out of the blue, ive been getting non-stop notifications for low storage space. i am also getting the one about sms/mms messages, which will not allow me to open my messenger or photos. i havent installed, updated or downloaded anything onto my phone recently. This all started when i did add stuff to my SD card, but this should have no effect on my internal.

I keep going in between 20 something MB down to 16KB. It confuses me as to how just clearing data and maunually closing programs will make this drastic of a difference, especially when just a week ago I had over 50MB and like i said, have not downloaded, updated or installed anything new.

i only have 26 market apps downloaded, many of which i wont update even though available. I have heard a lot has to do with the email apps, gmail (which i dont use) has 280kb that wont let me clear, and the factory mail program, which i do use, has 55mb after clearing cache.

i have read a couple things about the facebook app. i unistalled the most recent update, which seemed to work for about a day. i have also cleared the data from the com.htc.socialnetwork which again, only helped for about a day.

im slowly in the process of deleting all of my thousands of text messages with a market app, since deleting them from the message program itself force closes when deleting messages. I just dont see why over night, i would start having this problem.

and the thing that weirds me out is the ONLY 2 programs on my phone that give me the clear cache option are my mail and internet. everything else is clear data. does this make a difference? or is this normal?

any help would be much appreciated! if a factory reset is what its going to take, then i guess ill have to go for it. but at this point i am ready to throw my phone out of a moving vehicle and find something more up to date. thanks!

OP
le_death_cab

le_death_cab

Reaction score
stock.. the idea of rooting frazzles my brain for some reason

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
The idea of rooting frazzles your brain but you're okay with a factory reset? Priorities. ;)

Rooting would allow you to move stuff to the SD card to free up internal space, clear your Dalvik cache without having to do a factory reset, and a lot of other good things, but other than the little tweak right there I'm not going to push the issue. If you don't want to, you just plain don't want to. I understand.

And :welcome: to the forum, by the way. :)

This may take some doing, but what you CAN do is download a free app from the market to back all your texts up, then do a reset, then restore the texts. Minimal loss of SMS messages this way.

OP
le_death_cab

le_death_cab

Reaction score
i guess i just dont really understand what a rooted phone is/does.
i would be worried, because it voids the warranty right? but mines already voided so meh. would rooting my phone help?

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i guess i just dont really understand what a rooted phone is/does.
i would be worried, because it voids the warranty right? but mines already voided so meh. would rooting my phone help?
Rooting your phone voids your warranty on paper, but you can always flash it back if you need to. Rooting our phone opens up all of the functions the OS gives you, not just the functions HTC and Verizon want you to have. Most notable changes are Apps2SD, over clocking and tethering. Its not hard to do, and the steps are laid out in the stickey at the top of this board. Give it a read through, and dont be afraid to ask questions.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Ever hear of a concept called "apps2sd"? It allows you to move apps from your internal memory to the SD card, freeing up oodles of space. :)

And, you're in luck, if you really want to take it all the way. There's a version of CyanogenMod built by people not on Team Douche (don't ask) specifically for the Eris. Only problem is you'd have to wipe the phone to get it on there.

As for what root is... http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html That's not my thread, so don't be offended. :)

phoneresolver

Reaction score
Resolve the Phone Storage Space is getting low on Android

There are 3 options to resolve this
1. Get rid on unnecessary apps.. duh
2. Do a soft reset on your phone to recover from apps with memory leaks
3. Move apps to the SD Card instead of phone

Step 3 is the best and permanent solution. The key is how to do it without using Apps2SD or rooting your Android phone. Found this detailed article on how to do this. Resolved my issue

Resolve Phone Storage Space is Getting Low on Android Phones

mattamous

Reaction score
There are 3 options to resolve this
1. Get rid on unnecessary apps.. duh
2. Do a soft reset on your phone to recover from apps with memory leaks
3. Move apps to the SD Card instead of phone

Step 3 is the best and permanent solution. The key is how to do it without using Apps2SD or rooting your Android phone. Found this detailed article on how to do this. Resolved my issue

Resolve Phone Storage Space is Getting Low on Android Phones

Has anyone tried step 3 with any luck? I have been trying to follow the process but have a few hickups along the way. I was unable to find the drivers on the HTC website, so I found them on another site. I don't know if that causes the issue but when I try to go to the windows command prompt won't connect to the android sdk. I'm rooted without any custom roms. Not sure if that causes any problems or not.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Twitter app is one of the worst culprits. Check its space usage. Over time mine ended up at 40MB!!