Phone screen while in call- problems with getting dialpad to come back up

kdub

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and not quite sure if this has been discussed or not, so if it has, let me know.... not exactly sure how to search for it...

Anyways, recently purchased a Motorola Droid A855 with 2.2 Froyo and love it overall... but having an issue when using it as an actual phone. Mainly, I've noticed that the touch screen turns off when you put the phone up to your head, but then comes back when you hold it in your hand horizontally.

I've been having problems where I'm calling a bank, for instance, and you have to "press 1" or enter your account number. Sometimes the screen doesn't turn on right away or sometimes not at all until its too late. Pressing the power button in a call doesn't seem to turn the screen on either. I also don't like that you have to hit the dialpad button to bring up the dialpad.

I looked for a setting to perhaps leave the screen on during a call but couldn't find one... I'm guessing it is because this would both cause you to press buttons with your head and also kill the battery quickly.

Any suggestions for this problem? Thanks in advance.

OP
K

kdub

Reaction score
Well, I've discovered a solution...either pressing the screen or power button during a call doesn't work to turn the screen back on.... as I mentioned before, bringing the phone downward to reactivate the touch screen only works some of the time for me...

But what DOES always work, according to my testing this morning, is to simply slide the keypad open and then the screen will stay lit and the dialpad will stay up if you choose, then when you don't need any touch tone input anymore you can just close the slider and continue on your call.

If there is an app for this, it would be nice. If there isn't, maybe there should be one!

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you're correct - the phone has a sensor for when you're in a call to black out the screen so that your cheek doesn't activate buttons during the call. the best way i've found when making a call where i know i'm going to have to make menu selections is to just use the speakerphone until i make all my selections, and then turn the speaker off... but, kdub's solution sounds like a decent alternative, too.

OP
K

kdub

Reaction score
you're correct - the phone has a sensor for when you're in a call to black out the screen so that your cheek doesn't activate buttons during the call. the best way i've found when making a call where i know i'm going to have to make menu selections is to just use the speakerphone until i make all my selections, and then turn the speaker off... but, kdub's solution sounds like a decent alternative, too.

Sounds like a good idea. I'll try it. Thank you! And next time I guess I should take these specific issues to the right forum I guess... didn't realize it yesterday:)

OyVOid

Reaction score
I also hate when the dialpad disappears in the middle of a call. My thing is to shake the phone and my display wakes up again to show the pad. Kind of kooky but it works for me.