Phone reboots when plugged into computer

bwhite757

Reaction score
This has been aggravating the crap out of me in the last couple of days. When I throw my phone onto my computer via USB it reboots, goes directly to the boot animation, not the Motorola logo. Once the phone reboots, it's only in USB debugging mode, and no icon for USB connection manager. So I'll unplug, then replug it in, and bam, same thing.

It normally catches on the 3rd or 4th try, but has been driving me crazy. I haven't changed any setting in the last couple of days, and the problem just started, I used to be able to plug it in whenever without any problems.

Anyone seen this problem and if so is there a fix?

flash24

Reaction score
Hahah, I am having the same issue. I think it has something to do with the SD card. Might have to format it or something.

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

pilotrose

Reaction score
Mine occasionally reboots as well when plugging it into the computer. It doesn't happen every time though. And it always reboots successfully.

tennvol

Reaction score
Mine did that. Took it back to vzw for a new one and its been a week without issue. I don't think its a sd card issue since im using the same card as the old phone

Sent from my DROID PRO using DroidForums App

OP
bwhite757

bwhite757

Reaction score
Not SD Card related. I tried using a freshly formatted card and got the same problem...

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
This has been aggravating the crap out of me in the last couple of days. When I throw my phone onto my computer via USB it reboots, goes directly to the boot animation, not the Motorola logo. Once the phone reboots, it's only in USB debugging mode, and no icon for USB connection manager. So I'll unplug, then replug it in, and bam, same thing.

It normally catches on the 3rd or 4th try, but has been driving me crazy. I haven't changed any setting in the last couple of days, and the problem just started, I used to be able to plug it in whenever without any problems.

Anyone seen this problem and if so is there a fix?

Yeah, mine started doing the same thing, but not until I downloaded and installed the update released a couple of weeks ago. I never had the problem until then. Now I have to wait until the phone reboots and plug the USB cable back in a second time...it works on the second try. Haven't seen anything to fix this issue yet.

Prairie Smoke

Reaction score
Mine does it too, since the update; but there is a work-around.
If I un-mount the SD card before plugging in the USB cable, then re-mount it it does not reboot. It is a pain, but it works every time.
Hopefully, it will be corrected in a future update.

EDIT: If you switch from "Charge Only" to "Mass Storage" mode, you need to un-mount first, but you can go the other way without doing it.

Last edited:

flash24

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip

Mine does it too, since the update; but there is a work-around.
If I un-mount the SD card before plugging in the USB cable, then re-mount it it does not reboot. It is a pain, but it works every time.
Hopefully, it will be corrected in a future update.

EDIT: If you switch from "Charge Only" to "Mass Storage" mode, you need to un-mount first, but you can go the other way without doing it.

Sent from my DROID PRO using Tapatalk

sivs422

Reaction score
Potential fix to USB-induced rebooting?

Hi. I've got a (stock) Droid X which has "rebooted" a few times when connected to my PC (Win7 Pro x64). Today was the last straw. Googling, I found this thread and one other. After reading, I may have fixed the problem. In short, after removing running apps from the SD card, I can no longer induce a reboot by connecting to my computer. I speculate about the cause of this below.

First, a clarification ... The "reboots" I saw were only partial. The phone jumped directly to the Droid logo, but did not show the Motorola logo (which I see after power cycle). I also do not have the "random reboot" problem many have complained about. Lastly, I have USB debugging enabled for EasyTether.

Separately, my computer does not use Motorola software. I use built-in drivers from Win7 Pro x64 and can access the SD card on my Droid X without trouble now. For reference, in Device Manager, I have (with warning/exclamation point) "Other devices --> Motorola ADB Interface." Its device status (under Properties) says "The drivers for this device are not installed." and "Manufacturer: Unknown."

From these two threads, it seemed that the SD card could be a problem (though it may not explain everyone's trouble). Some (see other thread) suggested that unmounting the SD card could prevent the reboot.

When attaching the phone to my computer via USB (without reboot), the following events seem to happen:
1a) USB Connection (status bar)
1b) Connecting USB for Mass Storage (little window in bottom half of screen)
2) USB debugging enabled (status bar, only if not enabled)
3) Preparing SD card (if SD card was mounted by Droid)
4) USB debugging connected

When detaching USB from the computer, the following events occur (also status bar):
1) Debug icon disappears
2) USB icon disappears
3) Preparing SD Card

It is clear that the SD card cannot be mounted simultaneously by the Droid X and by the USB-connected Win7 x64 PC. After the most recent uninvited reboot, I realized that (a) Angry Birds was installed to the SD card and (b) Angry Birds had been running in the background when I connected the Droid to my PC.

Through application management, I moved the SD card applications back onto the phone. Since doing so, I cannot reproduce the reboot (with or without EasyTether service running). Hooray!

Two thoughts ... Firstly, it is not obvious to me that the phone actually reboots. The "reboot" brings up the Droid logo only. After power off/on cycle, I usually see the Motorola logo first and the Droid logo second. Is it possible that this is actually just the Droid software layer restarting rather than the entire phone?

Secondly, a possible explanation is that this reboot occurs when applications are running (probably in the background) from the SD card. The SD card is clearly unmounted immediately upon connection, which might crash the background process. If this is true, perhaps the software resets to accommodate the crash. This may explain what many have reported ...

Some posters have said that the reboot only happens once (the first time). This makes sense if any and all processes that require the SD card are killed by the reboot. Upon restart, there would be no process left to crash (unless the offender auto-starts).

Some have also suggested that a factory reset may remedy the issue. If the factory reset shuts off all the apps currently using the SD, perhaps that's how it works? If this explanation is, in fact, true, it begs the question: why does Android let this happen? If I understand correctly, the UI + apps run in user space on non-rooted phones. Could the SD mount/dismount be triggered hardware and thus operate with higher privileges?

At this point I'm speculating and you're probably exhausted. Hopefully this account makes some sense and actually helps somebody else through this problem. Given that it seems to have fixed my phone, I felt compelled to report this here. Thanks!

Jale

Reaction score
Very interesting: I just tried to dismount the SD card first (using a SwitchPro widget, but there are other ways) and .... no reboot when I connected to my PC with USB. You have to be a bit patient though because it takes time (10-20 second I guess) for everything to happen. But not having a reboot is great progress.

blanders1

Reaction score
Phone Reboots

My Droid Pro froze immediately upon download of the install. I took it to the Verizon store where they did a hard reboot. I then had to reinstall all my e-mail services, but everything appeared to be working fine. After a few days, however, it has started doing random reboots - while talking on it, while it is just sitting there, and, sometimes, while it is plugged in to charge. I think I will try switching it out and see what happens.

rlgoering

Reaction score
He's Right

sivs422 hit it on the head for me. I had Angry Birds and 2 other games on the SD card. When I read his post it hit me the reboot only happens when I had been using my phone for a while. *only after I had played the game*. Went into Manage Applications and moved them to the Phone memory, and now after playing with it a while can verify that was my problem. Thank you so much

Hi. I've got a (stock) Droid X which has "rebooted" a few times when connected to my PC (Win7 Pro x64). Today was the last straw. Googling, I found this thread and one other. After reading, I may have fixed the problem. In short, after removing running apps from the SD card, I can no longer induce a reboot by connecting to my computer. I speculate about the cause of this below.

First, a clarification ... The "reboots" I saw were only partial. The phone jumped directly to the Droid logo, but did not show the Motorola logo (which I see after power cycle). I also do not have the "random reboot" problem many have complained about. Lastly, I have USB debugging enabled for EasyTether.

Separately, my computer does not use Motorola software. I use built-in drivers from Win7 Pro x64 and can access the SD card on my Droid X without trouble now. For reference, in Device Manager, I have (with warning/exclamation point) "Other devices --> Motorola ADB Interface." Its device status (under Properties) says "The drivers for this device are not installed." and "Manufacturer: Unknown."

From these two threads, it seemed that the SD card could be a problem (though it may not explain everyone's trouble). Some (see other thread) suggested that unmounting the SD card could prevent the reboot.

When attaching the phone to my computer via USB (without reboot), the following events seem to happen:
1a) USB Connection (status bar)
1b) Connecting USB for Mass Storage (little window in bottom half of screen)
2) USB debugging enabled (status bar, only if not enabled)
3) Preparing SD card (if SD card was mounted by Droid)
4) USB debugging connected

When detaching USB from the computer, the following events occur (also status bar):
1) Debug icon disappears
2) USB icon disappears
3) Preparing SD Card

It is clear that the SD card cannot be mounted simultaneously by the Droid X and by the USB-connected Win7 x64 PC. After the most recent uninvited reboot, I realized that (a) Angry Birds was installed to the SD card and (b) Angry Birds had been running in the background when I connected the Droid to my PC.

Through application management, I moved the SD card applications back onto the phone. Since doing so, I cannot reproduce the reboot (with or without EasyTether service running). Hooray!

Two thoughts ... Firstly, it is not obvious to me that the phone actually reboots. The "reboot" brings up the Droid logo only. After power off/on cycle, I usually see the Motorola logo first and the Droid logo second. Is it possible that this is actually just the Droid software layer restarting rather than the entire phone?

Secondly, a possible explanation is that this reboot occurs when applications are running (probably in the background) from the SD card. The SD card is clearly unmounted immediately upon connection, which might crash the background process. If this is true, perhaps the software resets to accommodate the crash. This may explain what many have reported ...

Some posters have said that the reboot only happens once (the first time). This makes sense if any and all processes that require the SD card are killed by the reboot. Upon restart, there would be no process left to crash (unless the offender auto-starts).

Some have also suggested that a factory reset may remedy the issue. If the factory reset shuts off all the apps currently using the SD, perhaps that's how it works? If this explanation is, in fact, true, it begs the question: why does Android let this happen? If I understand correctly, the UI + apps run in user space on non-rooted phones. Could the SD mount/dismount be triggered hardware and thus operate with higher privileges?

At this point I'm speculating and you're probably exhausted. Hopefully this account makes some sense and actually helps somebody else through this problem. Given that it seems to have fixed my phone, I felt compelled to report this here. Thanks!

mobile_sensei

Team Liberty
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
If you are rooted with clockwork, try wiping cache & dalvik cash. Make sure you have the proper Motorola drivers on your PC, and unchecked debugging in applications/ development. Unless you know what debugging is & how to use it, it should be turned off.

DROID X, Rolling on £iberty ROM. via Tapatalk Pro

sds65805

Reaction score
Run App Killer before USB connection? Maybe?

After reading this post I have started running App Killer before connection, and reboots have stopped. It makes sense that if you have apps running from the SD card when you connect to USB, it will cause some conflict. But that's just a guess based on small amount of data.