Phone not turning on completely? Possible water damage?

Discussion in 'Android Support' started by Fifalde, May 26, 2015.

  1. Fifalde

    Fifalde New Member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Ratings:
    +0
    Current Phone Model:
    Allview V1 Viper S
    Hey there. I have this problem and could not find an answer anywhere. The phone I own is Allview V1 Viper S.

    Today I have spilled some water on it by mistake - about a quarter of a glass I believe. Fresh water so no harmful chemicals (at least that). At first, there was nothing wrong with it. It worked for 15 minutes or so. But all of a sudden my volume down and power button (both on the right side) have stopped working. I was pretty sure that I have wiped all the water off so I just restarted the phone (by removing the battery since as I said, the power button was not working).

    After I removed the battery and put it back in, the power button worked just fine - but the phone no longer turned on. The screen lights up but displays a black screen - as if stuck in the first phase of the turning on.

    I removed the battery, SIM cards (as it is dual SIM) and battery and noticed that the camera was all fogged up. So there was water inside.

    After searching online I decided to try vacuuming it for a few minutes, the camera half-drying. Then I put the battery only and turned it on as if out of curiosity. It worked. It turned on and everything worked perfectly: speakers, camera etc have been tested. I wanted to test the card and SIM slots as well though - so I had to remove the battery again.

    Yet surprise. When I turned the phone on again - the same black screen was shown and it no longer worked. I can't imagine what happened. I blamed the SIMs and card so I took them out and tried again but with no results. No matter what, it just won't turn on. It remains stuck at the black screen (not even the Allview logo).

    Do you have any idea as to what could be the cause? Any advice? I suspect it might still be a little wet so I am leaving it in rice overnight. But could it be caused by something else? Nothing of the sort happened before and the phone is fairly new. I do not have insurance but have had the warranty (well it might be void now that I spilled water on it, not sure)
     
  2. Jonny Kansas

    Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2010
    Messages:
    16,547
    Likes Received:
    7,107
    Trophy Points:
    1,278
    Location:
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula
    Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    You may have already damaged it by turning it on multiple times and I assume you were moving it around (handling it) while it was running with water in it.

    The best thing you can do is leave it in the rice AT LEAST overnight, but I'd got even an extra day to be safe.

    Whenever you get these devices wet, the best policy is to shut them off immediately and removed anything you can (battery cover, battery, cards, etc) and let them sit and dry.

    Turning the device back on right away and handling it can cause water to get into parts that it hadn't already gotten into and can fry any number of components.

    Leave it sit for at least a couple of days, then try again.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mike.757

    Mike.757 Silver Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2011
    Messages:
    3,151
    Likes Received:
    474
    Trophy Points:
    148
    Location:
    Virginia Beach
    Ratings:
    +488
    Take the battery out immediately. Any time you get water in the phone, that is the absolute first step. The damage may be done though.

    Take the battery, SIM card, and memory out of the phone and let them air dry. Take the phone and put it on a bag of rice for 24 hours. By using a dryer, you may have just pushed the water deeper into the phone.

    After 24 hours, reassemble and see if it works. If not, you're probably going to have to replace the phone.


    Edit: I missed the part where you said it is already in rice. Leave it there overnight and try again tomorrow.
     
    • Like Like x 2
Search tags for this page

allview viper power button not working