Personal Data Security

LLIB9999

Reaction score
I'm nervous about installing many apps due to the access they require of my personal data, preferences, contacts, etc. I see these as an incredible source of data gathering for someone (Google, etc?). Am I being paranoid or is this really what's happening? I have nothing to hide but nothing to share either. Do some of them also make calls from your phone as indicated?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
IMHO Paranoid.....

Anyone in this day and age already has their info in someones cloud...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You'd need to specify the app(s) you're concerned about. There's a guide somewhere (search) to interpreting the warnings. If you're not familiar with what they mean and practical application then it's easy to assume the worst and have an unrealistic image of what might happen.

Keep in mind that even if an app can collect data, it would have to have some way of transmitting that data. As an example, people tend to get all worked up over warnings that you'll get with any keyboard app. However, if the keyboard app (again, just as an example) doesn't have access to communicate then it doesn't really matter.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
If it makes you feel any better. All the information someone could want to know about you, your family, and friends is all readily available somewhere for a relatively nominal price. ;)

OP
L

LLIB9999

Reaction score
Since a phone is naturally a communication device and I cannot turn it off while charging, it has about 20 hours or more a day to pass information to whoever I give permission to when installing an app. It's like your Tivo or cable box that contacts someone every day passing some kind of info but since that's most likely use related, there isn't any contact info involved.

I avoid Facebook, Twitter and all other social sites like the plague. Too many horror stories out there.