Permanently Delete Texts?

shibby_o

Reaction score
Okay so I'm a new Droid X user and I can delete a thread from a contact, but I went through and found a "recent" folder that still has all the texts in it.. I have nosy people around me and don't want these messages found. Nothing I do allows me to clear the folder or delete those messages.. help??

Oh and I just tried deleting the contact and that erased all messages but I don't want to have to do that every time..

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
If you go into your textmessaging app, then hit the menu button, you should be able to delete all texts.

Gaby

Reaction score
So yeah, I know exactly what Shibby is talking about.
Basically I can delete test messages from the test message field. The problem there in lies off the HOME screen. At the very bottom you have a phone icon, and apps icon, and a contacts history icon. If you go into the contacts history icon (the little man) it shows all the history, calls and texts. I too have extremely nosy people in my life and they have no business looking at my business. I have also found that the only way to delete previous texts is by deleting the contact. But that isn't realistic. Side note: I went directly into a Verizon store and 2 technicians were stumped and couldn't help me either. If I don't figure this out by Monday, this phone is going back.

Gaby

Reaction score
Bump I know this belongs in droid x forums but you never know who may have the answer

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Have you tried going into settings>applications>manage applications>handcent then clearing the data and cache?

Gaby

Reaction score
"Really? Over something that minor?"

Yeah, it's a huge deal to me unfortunately. Sometimes my bf send me things I don't want my 11 year old son seeing and he's always playing on my phone. so yeah.. over something that minor I would exchange it. I'm considering the incredible or the 1st droid.

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
On your homescreen press your menu key, go to settings>applications>manage applications, hit your menu key again, then change the filter to show all your apps. Go to the text messaging app that your using, either handcent or the stock app, clear data then clear cache. See if that works.

If it doesn't then try this out: mount your SD card via a computer's USB connection, see if the texts are stored in a folder there.

I'll take a look at my GF's X tonight and see whats up with this then post back tomorrow with results. Post back here if either of these methods work.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Yeah, it's a huge deal to me unfortunately. Sometimes my bf send me things I don't want my 11 year old son seeing and he's always playing on my phone. so yeah.. over something that minor I would exchange it. I'm considering the incredible or the 1st droid.

Wow, No need to bite one's head off...

Gaby

Reaction score

Wow, No need to bite one's head off...

O no I'm sorry didn't mean to come off like that I'm sorry.lol seriously I'm to passive to bite

Anyone head off lol. :0)

OP
S

shibby_o

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.. I've tried everything and the fact that one of you took it back to the Verizon store and had THEM stumped isn't very comforting. It's pretty stupid to have to delete a contact just to get rid of any history. It should just delete when I've deleted the thread, but it doesn't. I can't even figure out a way to delete the folder. I don't know what else to do and this is a huge inconvenience to me. I didn't even know the folder was there.. i found it by accident. Glad I did though.. this is really pissing me off lol

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
ok...one more time...

mount your SD card on your computer, see if the file is there in the root of the SD card, or in one of the subfolders maybe SD/data.

post back here to atleast acknowledge that my responses aren't dissappearing into oblivion :p

OP
S

shibby_o

Reaction score
Sorry mike lol I haven't tried that option yet I don't have access to a computer 24/7 but hopefully tomorrow I can try it.. In the mean time I'll continue to delete the contact as needed, but man is that a pain in the butt. I've read several other posts regarding this and everyone seems to have the same issue with no solution.. Stupid moto. Thanks again mike and I'll be sure to let yu know over the next few days how that goes

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Phew...and here I was thinking that I had been sucked into a black hole with no hope of escape... I mean, its dark in the room, but not so dark that matter, light, and posts can't escape. :) The thing is, the data needs a location to be stored. I'm hoping that its stored on the SD card, and not in the phone's memory. I'm thinking this is so for a handful of reasons.
1. If it's stored in the phones memory, and theres no way to delete it through the phones options, then theres no way to delete them at all, and in time the phone's memory would be full, effectively semi-bricking it.
2. The first reason leads to this conclusion. Why would they fill your phone up with texts that cant be deleted and take up valuable phone storage space. Seems like they would definitely want to point a feature like that towards your SD card.

Also, what messaging app are you using? The stock app, or an alternative like chomp or handcent