Parent Looking for Help

The Bald Guy

Reaction score
Hello, I'm looking for a way to find my sons text messages. Old messages that he has deleted. Is there a way to look at what he has texted say over the last couple of months. He has a Motorola Droid and uses Handcent. I can go under the menu of Handcent and look at delivery reports and get a little bit of messages he sends but that is all I can find right now. Obviously he is doing things he's not supposed to just looking for a way to "Keep an eye on him"

Ej4

Reaction score
If you pay for the phone just take it away from him.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum! If he deletes the messages right after, there's no way you can. Verizon does have a feature where you can block text messaging (Parental controls) it also lets you block lots of other things. :D If you don't trust him, I'd take his phone away.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not that you could get your hands on it but.. I am willing to bet Verizon has a record of every text message from every user stored somewhere.

beckx020

Reaction score
Ask Homeland Security. They have a copy of everything. Let them actually use it for some good.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Also, you might not bea bale to see what he says but you can sure see where he goes. Verizon has a locator thing (I forget it's actual name) that let's the account holder see where the other phones are. My mom put it on my grandmas phone incase she got lost.

Xander Crews

Reaction score
Not that you could get your hands on it but.. I am willing to bet Verizon has a record of every text message from every user stored somewhere.

I would guess you are right...they may even be required by law to keep that stuff.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
From one bald guy and parent to another call VZW they should be able to help you. They keep tons of digital copies

tommyb38

Reaction score
Not much you can do if the messages are deleted. The only way to get a copy from verizon is with a court subpoena, even if you are the account holder, and even then they are only saved for 30 days I believe.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Floridroid

Reaction score
There is an app that you can install in his phone that will send you a copy of all messages as they come in. I have seen it a while back. Sorry I don't remember the name. It's like a key logger but it actually send you copies of all he does

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
From one bald guy and parent to another call VZW they should be able to help you. They keep tons of digital copies
It's 100% true that VZW does have copies of the text messages stored for a period of time. However, they are only released with a subpoena for a court case. If it is just to check up on your son, you can't do it. As a parent you have lots of options, block text messaging or take away the phone.

C3-PO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V20
If you install "G-backup Full" on his phone, I believe you can have everything (pictures, sms, mms, videos) backup to any Gmail account you set it up for as they come in. It won't backup things that are already deleted though.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's 100% true that VZW does have copies of the text messages stored for a period of time. However, they are only released with a subpoena for a court case. If it is just to check up on your son, you can't do it. As a parent you have lots of options, block text messaging or take away the phone.

Thanks for the clarification, Vulcan.

Mike

Caesars

Reaction score
You can also see who he's texting on the phone bill, should show what time and everytime he text, it just won't show the MSG :). I'm surprised Verizon doesn't do this, I remember being able to look into sprints short mail online whenever I wanted to (pre SMS on Sprint).