Package Access Helper App - Eating CPU

Discussion in 'Droid Bionic Tech Support' started by thehirsches, Nov 18, 2012.

  1. thehirsches
    Offline

    thehirsches Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2010
    Messages:
    41
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Package Access Helper 4.0.4-13 on my Bionic and after dealing with some lagginess, I installed Watchdog. Watchdog reports it is using 70% of my CPU. I am not sure what this inrernal app is or why its suddenly killing my memory.

    I am rooted and did install an older version of ICS so I can back out and get the official update from Verizon whenever it may actually happen. THough the loker it takes the more I am apt to find a really good version here and install.

    I am running system version 6.7.232.XT875.Version.en.us
    Android version 4.0.4
    Basebad Version CDMA_N_05.13.01R LTEDC_U_09.14.00
    Webtop Version wt-3.0.0
    Kernel Version 3.0.8.g44ffd6a
    hudsoncm@il90Inxdroid83 #1
    SMP Preempt Fri Jul 6 03:57:28 CDT 2012
    Build Number 6.7.2.223_DBN_M4-9
    Build Date Fri Jul 6 03-21:30 CDT 2012

    Any thoughts or advice would be really helpful. I love my Bionic, but its lagging is killing me.

    Thanks.
     
  2. ldubs
    Offline

    ldubs Member

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2012
    Messages:
    105
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Ratings:
    +0
    Um the official ota to 246 came out about a month ago.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
     
  3. thehirsches
    Offline

    thehirsches Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2010
    Messages:
    41
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    6
    Location:
    Orange County, CA
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must have missed it. Oh, well. I bit the bullet and jumped to a Jelly Bean ROM and am loving it so far.

    Thanks for the heads up though.
     
  4. garryw
    Offline

    garryw New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. I'm posting here for the benefit of those people searching this problem in the future.

    Last night I found a solution for my particular version of the "Package Access Helper" problem: I unfroze all the apps I had ever frozen.

    Package Access Helper now behaves properly.

    If I had to guess, I'd guess that it was trying to talk to or do something with one of those frozen apps, it was unexpectedly getting an error (due to the other being frozen), the original developer at Google did not allow for the possibility of an error on the request (=bad= engineer, or time-rushed), and it was going into a loop over the difficulty.

    A couple other apps also have shown the same cpu-saturating behaviour over the last couple months. Enough so that I was considering hopping to an iPhone - oh horrors! We know that Apple doesn't write particularly clueful software either... nice UI's though.

    Unfortunately, I don't have a record or memory of which those apps were.
     
Search tags for this page
android package access helper
,
android package access helper high cpu
,

package access helper

,
package access helper android
,
package access helper cpu
,
package access helper high cpu
,
package access helper using memory
,
package acess helper
,
package helper android
,
what is package access helper