Overheating, CPU/memory shortage, signals lost...

Hobn

Reaction score
So my Droid X has been getting pretty hot lately. 45°C during the hot days, normally 30 something on cold days or when I take it fresh out of my pocket. I've also got 2 signal losts today, maybe that was just because I was awake on my weekly roadtrip. I also have my memory float around 50MB, and start at 130MB. On top of that, the phone freezes momentarily sometimes when I launch certain apps or open up my app list. Is this normal?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
So my Droid X has been getting pretty hot lately. 45°C during the hot days, normally 30 something on cold days or when I take it fresh out of my pocket. I've also got 2 signal losts today, maybe that was just because I was awake on my weekly roadtrip. I also have my memory float around 50MB, and start at 130MB. On top of that, the phone freezes momentarily sometimes when I launch certain apps or open up my app list. Is this normal?

How often do you turn it off? Also, are you running any kind of task killer?

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
I only turn it off when I'm sleeping, so it's off about 8 hours a day. Also, I used to use task killers but I stopped. I still occasionally use it like one would use a Windows task killer. Not very much though. The temperature was maybe 90-100°F.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I only turn it off when I'm sleeping, so it's off about 8 hours a day. Also, I used to use task killers but I stopped. I still occasionally use it like one would use a Windows task killer. Not very much though. The temperature was maybe 90-100°F.

When you say "occasionally" do you mean that you reinstall it, or that you don't open it? I'm also assuming by the number of posts (could be wrong) that you're not rooted..? Also, what apps have you installed? Widgets?

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score

When you say "occasionally" do you mean that you reinstall it, or that you don't open it? I'm also assuming by the number of posts (could be wrong) that you're not rooted..? Also, what apps have you installed? Widgets?
I mean I don't open it much, or use it, I don't keep reinstalling the app. And no, I am not rooted. I have too many apps to list, but I think it would be considered below average. Widgets, I use a live Nexus wallpaper, Audiomanager, and one that monitors my CPU, battery, and memory. Also, I forgot to mention that the battery life has decreased for me as well.

TheJester34

Reaction score
I'd venture to say maybe the CPU widget might be draining your battery. Possibly the live wallpaper too

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'd venture to say maybe the CPU widget might be draining your battery. Possibly the live wallpaper too

+1 for the CPU widget. It may not be the live wallpaper though because they don't bog the memory down on an X as bad as the Droid1 due to the processor difference. I'd probably take a note of the apps you have and would like to keep and doing a factory reset and installing the apps one by one to see if it is an application problem or a phone problem. Are WiFi, Bluetooth, or GPS on when not in use by chance?

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score

+1 for the CPU widget. It may not be the live wallpaper though because they don't bog the memory down on an X as bad as the Droid1 due to the processor difference. I'd probably take a note of the apps you have and would like to keep and doing a factory reset and installing the apps one by one to see if it is an application problem or a phone problem. Are WiFi, Bluetooth, or GPS on when not in use by chance?

I have already done a factory reset in the past because it was running pretty slow. And I have GPS, Bluetooth, and Wifi turned off.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

I have already done a factory reset in the past because it was running pretty slow. And I have GPS, Bluetooth, and Wifi turned off.

Try it again. And install each app one by one and see if anything changes. You could also try Antivirus just to let it scan the phone too. If neither of those work, its most likely your phone..

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
I have the antivirus with the pill. I don't think it'll be worth it resetting again as I will simply end up clogging the phone with apps again, but the phone signal lost is bothering me, it happens periodically.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I have the antivirus with the pill. I don't think it'll be worth it resetting again as I will simply end up clogging the phone with apps again, but the phone signal lost is bothering me, it happens periodically.

Get rid of the AV....it's a worst battery killer than the Task Killer.

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
Would it be the same to simply delete the apps I don't need instead of factory resetting and setting up everything again?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Get rid of the AV....it's a worst battery killer than the Task Killer.

+1! I'd still do a scan to make sure your phone is clean. Then, I'd uninstall it...and the Task Killer.

OP
Hobn

Hobn

Reaction score
Great...now my touchscreen keeps failing me on the lock screen. When I draw a pattern it thinks I let go half way through, no matter how careful I am. Only happens sometimes though. And does the mere presence of the programs really affect things?