Over Heating? WTF?

DMackey2

Reaction score
Let me start of by saying. I was a BB owner. I purchased my Droid X and I LOVE IT (said in a very high pitch!). Only one issue I cant seem to figure out.

Sometimes I will lock the screen, put the phone away (my pocket, my laptop bag, etc.) come back to the phone and the battery is almost dead and the temp program (battery left) says the temp is 110 degrees F. This doesn't happen every time. From what I can tell it only seems to happen when I lock the phone with the music player (the stock player and the cube3 one, and I have tried them both) paused.

I have also noticed that the cpu gets REALLY hot when I play music on it or if I play certain (but not all) games. Like really hot. And to make it worse, once the phone gets hot, it seems to stay hot.

Anyone else had this issue or do I just have bum phone?
Thanks in advance

David

scubieman

Reaction score
Well go into your battery management it will tell you what's use the most battery life.

I'm assuming either your body heat and poor circulation is getting the battery to drain.

Or you have a app that is running out of control.

OP
D

DMackey2

Reaction score
no I don't leave GPS running.

Battery shows
Android System 33%
Android OS 20%
Display 16%
Boot Animation 10%
everything else is >10%

But I must admit I rebooted the phone. Next time it heats up that is where I will check first. Is this a common problem? I talked my wife into an incredible and her phone never does this.

Thanks
David

scubieman

Reaction score
What phone do you have? I know someone that had a droidx and barely any use the battery would only last 4 hours.

Cooch33

Reaction score
Sometimes this would happen to me. Not using the music player or anything. I use System Panal and sometimes my CPU would be stuck at running at max 1000 for no reason, and get really hot. I would have to turn it off/on. Idk why randomly the CPU gets stuck like that, but i would end all apps and it would still say 100%. But maybe thats the same problem. or maybe its app related. idk just my 2cents

scubieman

Reaction score
Cooch 33 where did you got to check the CPU % and what phone you got?

OP
D

DMackey2

Reaction score
I have a Droid X. And I must say, with this SOLE exception of it heating up and draining the battery, I love it. I just find this issue to be rather annoying.

Thanks.
David

scubieman

Reaction score
I have droidx and just checked my CPU and show it sitting at 0.0 CPU

Cooch33

Reaction score
I have the droid X and you can check with the system panal app. You dont even need the full version. The the top left shows CPU% and the top right shows your CPU clock. Sometimes it'll just stay at 100, 99.9% and 1000clock. And i'll have to reboot to make it stop.

scubieman

Reaction score
sitting there im at 11 %CPU and about 400 - 500 mhz sometimes as low as 300

How long have you had the x? How long have you had the problem? You can be a widget or app that got installed.

Cooch33

Reaction score
I've had it since release. It rarely happens now. Pretty much never. Idk what it was. Once in a blue moon it'll happen. But if your overheating i guess take it back to verizon, it was never a huge problem for me

scubieman

Reaction score
I have had the phone run hot and crash before. But that was using a VERY intense app like google maps or something else. It only has happened maybe 2 times since I got my phone over a month ago.

the5barrons

Reaction score
There is a lot that can play into what make the processor go berserk (which ultimately leads to heat and battery degradation). About three weeks after getting my DX, it started doing the hot thing. Battery life dropped to four hours no matter what and I was getting fed up. Even before the 2.2 update I went to VZW, told them my problem, got them to give a new battery under warranty, did a factory reset, and then minimized all my setting. Minimal widgets. All notifications to manual pull only. No vibrate, no live wallpaper. Nothing.

From there, I started to build the DX back up...meaning I would add one or two things back to where I wanted them to be. "with moderate use" (I hate to hear that but...) I get easily a full day (12-14 hours). Now...that can be less with a ton of use or more if I never pick it up. All depends.

Secondly...if you are running lots of crap upfront and switching between a lot of apps, it's more on the processor. Even I notice mine get a bit temperate if I'm busy busy with the phone. If you think it getting too crazy...put it down.

Again, just an idea, but starting fresh, possibly with a new battery (there are some bad ones)...and I would recommend the 2.2 if you aren't already...then take it down to parade rest on the apps widgets and setting then build it back to where you are running healthy. There is just no need to have it on full blast if it doesn't need to be....