outgoing pop3 messages stuck in outbox

dschag

Reaction score
sorry but i am new to droid os. i configured a pop3 account, thought i had tested it. am receiving email fine my outgoing messages are not going out. trying to find location where i can check verizon settings since i know they control outgoing messages. when i select email delivery, i don't see any of those settings (username and password). i have tried data push on and off and fetch is set at 15 min. i'm sure the answer is simple, so where can i find account settings or is there something else i can do? thank you. dan

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You may have to change the settings to allow for secure login to your outgoing server.
If you set it up while you were at home on wifi it may not have set that up properly.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

bb_or_droid

Reaction score
If this is a 3rd party (non-Google, non-VZW) pop3 then then outgoing is actually controlled by your SMTP outgoing server. It is likely that setting is incorrect. Go to My Accounts>select the account>Outgoing Server. Check the SMPT setting.

One other tip. Some domain registrars limit the # of outgoing emails per day. You can get around that by setting up a Gmail account, forwarding the emails from your hosted email to Gmail and then configuring Gmail to show the "reply to" address as your regular hosted email. You can then set up a push email Gmail account on the Droid Pro and the outgoing server will be Google's but people will reply to your regular email. This also allows for push email.

akosnitzky

Reaction score
If this is a 3rd party (non-Google, non-VZW) pop3 then then outgoing is actually controlled by your SMTP outgoing server. It is likely that setting is incorrect. Go to My Accounts>select the account>Outgoing Server. Check the SMPT setting.

One other tip. Some domain registrars limit the # of outgoing emails per day. You can get around that by setting up a Gmail account, forwarding the emails from your hosted email to Gmail and then configuring Gmail to show the "reply to" address as your regular hosted email. You can then set up a push email Gmail account on the Droid Pro and the outgoing server will be Google's but people will reply to your regular email. This also allows for push email.

Very good suggestion. I am trying this on an exchange server that uses pop access. Its still hit or miss at times

OP
D

dschag

Reaction score
well, both of the first comments seemed to apply. I did set up the pop3 account while connected to wifi network. does that mean have to delete the account and start over?
On the second point of using my smtp server to send mail. i have an external company (serve.com) that provides my email services because they also host my website. when i changed to verizon internet services at my office a few months ago, verizon had me set up all outgoing mail going thru their servers: outgoing.verizon.net. i thought i had to set up my samsung to do the same. in any case, i took the advice above and set up outgoing to be smtp server (same as incoming), but that did not work. so, either i have to delete reinstall account or there is something else? thank you very much for any ideas. dan

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is an option to do it secured when sending (outgoing).

I'm sure Verizon lists those settings on their FAQ on the internet somewhere around "how do I use my mobile phone to get email"

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
D

dschag

Reaction score
not a secured issue

i'm pretty sure verizon does not want a secured connection; they do however want a authenticated connection. but again, verizon is my carrier and a different isp is my smtp provider. one suggestion above says i should be following smtp requirements. does anyone know who i have to please on outgoing mail? thanks. dan

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You need to use your email address carriers smtp settings.

Instead of port 25 it will be port 987 or something for the authenticated (excuse me) setting.

You will have to provide a login for that authenication.

khilliard

Reaction score
Outgoing messages stuck in outbox

I emptied all my trash and my outbox cleared instantly. I retried several times with attachments and they now instantly go without going to the outbox. Let me know if emptying trash helps anyone else.

J_Bone

Reaction score
a little late, but I'll post what fixed mine. Just in case some one does a search like I did.

in your "Out going server / advanced settings"
"port" - 465
"use secure connection" - checked
"use secure password (TLS)" - Auto
"Authentication" - Auto
"Verify Cert" - Checked

Changing to these setting in my Cox account allowed me to deliver e-mails.