Otterbox Defender case works with car mount

Deron

Reaction score
For those doubters, here it is. The greatest invention since Thomas Edison brought us the light bulb. I figured out how to use the Otterbox Defender case with the navigation car mount. And you don't need to take the Razr out of the case to do it. Here's what you need.

- 1 Droid Razr
- 1 Otterbox Defender case
- 1 Car mount for Droid Razr
- 2 rubber bands (I stole my GF's hair bands. Scrunchies will work too. ) the more flamboyant the color, the better. I chose yellow.
- The courage to be different and get laughed at by your GF.

The pics will show you what to do. You can even plug in a car charger. Enjoy :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

gmcmccoy

Reaction score
Car Mount for Droid Razr

For those doubters, here it is. The greatest invention since Thomas Edison brought us the light bulb. I figured out how to use the Otterbox Defender case with the navigation car mount. And you don't need to take the Razr out of the case to do it. Here's what you need.

- 1 Droid Razr
- 1 Otterbox Defender case
- 1 Car mount for Droid Razr
- 2 rubber bands (I stole my GF's hair bands. Scrunchies will work too. ) the more flamboyant the color, the better. I chose yellow.
- The courage to be different and get laughed at by your GF.

The pics will show you what to do. You can even plug in a car charger. Enjoy :)

I have the shiny silicon protector on my new Razr and mine fits perfectly into the Car mount. There is a spacer that can be removed from the car mount that allows you to do what you are wanting to do but without the rubber bands/scrunchies. Just look at it carefully and start by pulling it out from the middle. It is very tight and you will have to be careful not to break either of the retainers on the top or the big one on the bottom. Works best by pulling it out in the middle and then working it loose from one of the top corners and then the other. You may have already done this, but from the pictures that you posted the spacer is still in yours. If it doesn't work what you have will still work. Necessity is the mother of all inventions!

OP
Deron

Deron

Reaction score
I have not removed any parts of my car mount. My Otterbox Defender case is so thick I don't think any modifications of the car mount will allow me to fit it in there.

tmac03hog

Reaction score
Car Mount for Droid Razr

I have the shiny silicon protector on my new Razr and mine fits perfectly into the Car mount. There is a spacer that can be removed from the car mount that allows you to do what you are wanting to do but without the rubber bands/scrunchies. Just look at it carefully and start by pulling it out from the middle. It is very tight and you will have to be careful not to break either of the retainers on the top or the big one on the bottom. Works best by pulling it out in the middle and then working it loose from one of the top corners and then the other. You may have already done this, but from the pictures that you posted the spacer is still in yours. If it doesn't work what you have will still work. Necessity is the mother of all inventions!

I just purchased my new Razr and also bought the hard silicon holster style case that came with the cool dual outlet car charger. And yes if I remove the insert from the mount it will hold my phone in the case but it is not nearly as snug as the mount for the Droid X. I should also clarify, you can not use a phone case with the Droid X car mount. One reason I was not completely satisfied with it. So when I was told by Verizon that I could leave my Razr in the case and still use the car mount I was stoked! A little adhesive backed thin piece of foam would probably solve the issue, but that's not the point here. And it does not have a secure way of holding the charger power cord like the one for the X. I think Verizon and or Motorola jumped the gun a bit with this mount.

alexp1289

Reaction score
I have the Otterbox case and belt clip for mine. I love it. I think Otterbox company should make a windshield mount that fits the cases basically all they need to do is turn the belt clip into the windshield mount :)