Otterbox Defender for Razr

Deron

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I just upgraded to the Razr last Sat. and purchased an Otterbox Defender the next day. The case seems very protective and I would assume more shock proof than most ? My only complaints thus far with the Otterbox are that the thin silicone strip between the ear phone and the hdmi/mini usb seems to raise up a bit, and the case is definitely a dust magnet. I don't have another screen protector under the defender and I seem to be cleaning it every other day or so to get the dust off from in between the built in protector and the phone. also, I suppose its not a huge deal but the screen is definitely not as brilliant as it was with no protector either. Not even close I.M.H.O. I also bought a rocketfish hard poly case that barely changes the size of the device. I am thinking of trying that with a regular screen protector. The Zagg's seem durable but I think some others may be much more clear? Any suggestions/preferences there? Sorry for the long first post. Just thought I'd try and add a totally honest opinion. Glad to be here, look forward to learning lots from the site.

Just poke out the screen protector on the Otterbox Defender case and use a regular clear screen protector from Verizon that you put directly on your screen. I did that and now I have the protection of Otterbox without that stupid anti glare screen barrier (which also reduced touch sensitivity).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

got2strum

Reaction score
@Deron, thanks, I think I'll do that. A bonus is that then I can just switch between cases easily. The dust gets in anyway so at least with a stick on type it shouldn't get between the screen and protector like it has been.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah I take mine out of the case every week to blow out any dirt that might settle behind the case to prevent scratching. And I really love seeing it in its natural form, makes me almost not want to put the Ottorbox on it.

Lol yes I agree! This is a beauty as well as an amazing device....

Quite Sharp indeed....
Motorola Droid Razor...
Peace!

motaumar

Reaction score
Not seeing the real beauty of the phone when its in the otterbox makes me love it even more every time I take it out of the case lol

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not seeing the real beauty of the phone when its in the otterbox makes me love it even more every time I take it out of the case lol

Lol yes i know what you mean! My weekly "cleaning" is quite an event for the eyes! (Dang bro we love our phones) and to think I only had instruments to admire before a few years back and I got the android fever or smartphone I should say rather...I love all my makes and models and being a part time device repair buy and sell little business of mine I've always got a chance to really check them out from inside to software...lol Still love my music writing too and hell, android has even helped me lay a few samples for later while or when I get a sound in my head! Peace!

Quite Sharp indeed....
Motorola Droid Razor...
Peace!

motaumar

Reaction score
Yeah this phone is honestly the best. It definitely destroys the iPhone. There is so much you can do on this. One of my friends who was trying to convince me to get the iPhone, I convinced him to get the razor now Lool he hates iPhones now

OP
W

wallyjaz

Reaction score
Yes the Otterbox Defender is heavier than the phone itself, and it adds maybe 3/16" of additional bulk to the phone, and the rubber casing collects lint, and the case cannot make Vanilla Latte's on its own yet, it doesn't cook or clean, but maybe we're different people. I wanted a case that would protect my phone if it fell 10' onto a concrete floor. If adding 4 ounces of weight to anything is going to ruin your life, you don't need an indestructible phone case. As far as the rubber case collecting lint, and therefore your Droid Razr with the Otterbox Defender not looking pretty anymore, you never should have bought an Otterbox and should have bought a nice pink leather case with flowers on it. Just a few thoughts.

Deron

Reaction score
Yes the Otterbox Defender is heavier than the phone itself, and it adds maybe 3/16" of additional bulk to the phone, and the rubber casing collects lint, and the case cannot make Vanilla Latte's on its own yet, it doesn't cook or clean, but maybe we're different people. I wanted a case that would protect my phone if it fell 10' onto a concrete floor. If adding 4 ounces of weight to anything is going to ruin your life, you don't need an indestructible phone case. As far as the rubber case collecting lint, and therefore your Droid Razr with the Otterbox Defender not looking pretty anymore, you never should have bought an Otterbox and should have bought a nice pink leather case with flowers on it. Just a few thoughts.

Ha ha!

Reaction score
I can't wait to drop my phone!!!

Sent from my iPhone (soon to be RAZR) using Tapatalk

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score

I think the guy was just trying to keep the thinness of the phone. And may have a clean and tidy way about himself. I actually feel the Razr is better for me in its original size..But I keep my phones on a clip ..never been much of a pocket person...But if I ever feel the need as I stated earlier to hike or ride my dirt bike I would probably use the otterbox or something to that effect..

Quite Sharp indeed....
Motorola Droid Razor...
Peace!

czissman

Reaction score
No way you turned a Beautiful phone into an ugly phone. :(

Considering how delicate and fragile the RAZR's screen is turning out to be, I'd rather protect it from damage and uglify it a bit rather than having to pay the cost of repairing it over and over.

Depending on the nature of a RAZR screen breaking, Motorola, with a little prodding, *may* fix it (once) for free. Mine broke within two weeks.

That's when you realize "Uh oh, this phone is delicate!" And you start being more careful. I figure even with my Otterbox Defender (on order) in place, I'll probably still break it again, but maybe not for another six months if I'm lucky.

Assurion insurace, as I understand it, allows you two exchanges per year for $90 each, then they cancel you. So by the end of year one, you're done with insurance if you're not careful, and then you start paying Motorola $175 for "physical damage" repair, or you can get it fixed for about $275 at a local mobile phone repair center.

Yeah, the phone is pretty buy I didn't buy it because it's slim, I bought it for its features and for its ability to interface with the Lapdock. I'll ugly it up to keep it in service longer, and to reduce the amount of time I spend dealing with returns.

czissman

Reaction score
....my og Droid lasted 2 years completely naked....and my razr will too...

lol... I wonder how long it will be before *your* screen breaks. Mine did in less than two weeks. I wish you better luck that me, but I learned my lesson about carrying this phone around unprotected.

Ansa82

Reaction score
Mine was super tight too! took a while to get it off. I wanted to wipe it all down & clean it. the rubber attracts so much dust.

heavyvino

Reaction score
Ijust use a can of compressed air to blow the dust off just dont get to close.