Opera mini browser out of beta

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
Opera has taken its Mini browser out of beta testing for the Android platform. Opera Mini 5.1 is available as a free download either from the Android Market or directly from Opera. The beta program for the browser had been running since March. The Opera Mini browser offers a unique tabbed browsing interface, a polished user interface and Opera's server-side acceleration for the Opera Mini browser. With the Mini browser, Opera's servers compress images and text from Web pages and sends this compressed data to the phone. This enhances the speed at which pages load on the phone's Opera Mini browser.

chart

source: Phone Scoop

Dmoralize

Reaction score
I like it. It does seem very fast and the layout all works nicely. The pinch zooming seems a little too sensitive to me and it needs flash support. Those are minimal gripes for me though.

modified

Reaction score
Opera is a conundrum to me. Some sites it loads so fast that it beats my i7 desktop. Others it either loads in painstakingly slow minutes or does not load at all.

Pinch to Zoom is not really pinch to zoom either. It is like double tapping.

Do I recommend it? Yes. Keep it around for websites that it actually loads, because you will not find a browser that can load em faster.