Only 100meg of memory left?

Freezetron

Reaction score
Ok I got my first smarrtphone and droid last week and it has been a fun learning curve. I was shocked however to find that my poor ex only has 100meg of memory to use after a cold boot? Wtf, were did my 512mev of ram go to as I don't run that many apps at once? How can I shutdown all the harmless apps I don't use so I can have a smoothe running droid?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Your device will never have more than 200ish MBs free. The 512 gets demolished by all of the bloat installed on the phone before you even got it. Lower available memory as you go between power cycles is normal in this OS though. Check the cache amount in application settings and start clearing it out..you'll be amazed at how much that bogs the system down.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

cpjr

Reaction score
Yeah thats about normal. Tweaking settings and running custom ROMs will help...but the best Ive seen is around what Droid DOES said. And it wont stay there long. Android manages its own memory, and does a decent job of it.

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
Do I have to do that every single time I boot up the phone or does it keep? I don't use skype, facebook and all that other crap. Or am i gonna have to figure out how to root this thing and hope to god I don't brick it?

cpjr

Reaction score
To install a ROM and tweak alot of the settings your gonna have to root.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The following was actually written about the evils of using task killers. I am posting it as it contains a great description of how android uses memory. Read and enjoy!! :)

Task Killers Per Lifehacker:

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them
How Android Manages Processes

In Android, processes and Applications are two different things. An app can stay "running" in the background without any processes eating up your phone's resources. Android keeps the app in its memory so it launches more quickly and returns to its prior state. When your phone runs out of memory, Android will automatically start killing tasks on its own, starting with ones that you haven't used in awhile.
The problem is that Android uses RAM differently than, say, Windows. On Android, having your RAM nearly full is a good thing. It means that when you relaunch an app you've previously opened, the app launches quickly and returns to its previous state. So while Android actually uses RAM efficiently, most users see that their RAM is full and assume that's what's slowing down their phone. In reality, your CPU—which is only used by apps that are actually active—is almost always the bottleneck.

Why Task Killers Are (Usually) Bad News

Apps like Advanced Task Killer, the most popular task killer in the Market, act on the incorrect assumption that freeing up memory on an Android device is a good thing. When launched, it presents you with a list of "running" apps and the option to kill as many as you want. You can also hit the Menu button to access a more detailed "Services" view, that lists exactly which parts of each application are "running", how much memory they take up, and how much free memory is available on your phone. This set-up implies that the goal of killing these apps is to free up memory. Nowhere on the list does it mention the number of CPU cycles each app is consuming, only the memory you'll free by killing it. As we've learned, full memory is not a bad thing—we want to watch out for the CPU, the resource that actually slows down your phone and drains your battery life.
Thus, killing all but the essential apps (or telling Android to kill apps more aggressively with the "autokill" feature) is generally unnecessary. Furthermore, it's actually possible that this will worsen your phone's performance and battery life. Whether you're manually killing apps all the time or telling the task killer to aggressively remove apps from your memory, you're actually using CPU cycles when you otherwise wouldn't—killing apps that aren't doing anything in the first place.
In fact, some of the processes related to those apps will actually start right back up, further draining your CPU. If they don't, killing those processes can cause other sorts of problems—alarms don't go off, you don't receive text messages, or other related apps may force close without warning. All in all, you're usually better off letting your phone work as intended—especially if you're more of a casual user. In these instances, a task killer causes more problems than it solves.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All. Just start going through the apps and hit Clear Cache if its lit up. Rooted users have one click cache cleaners but rooting is risky...especially with a locked bootloader. There's an app for non rooted users too but I'll have to search the market, don't remember the name right off.
*Edit: its called Quick App Cache Cleaner and will cost a whopping $.81

Check the cache amount in application settings and start clearing it out..you'll be amazed at how much that bogs the system down.

How do I do that?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
EXCELLENT info!!!

The following was actually written about the evils of using task killers. I am posting it as it contains a great description of how android uses memory. Read and enjoy!! :)

Task Killers Per Lifehacker:

Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them
How Android Manages Processes

In Android, processes and Applications are two different things. An app can stay "running" in the background without any processes eating up your phone's resources. Android keeps the app in its memory so it launches more quickly and returns to its prior state. When your phone runs out of memory, Android will automatically start killing tasks on its own, starting with ones that you haven't used in awhile.
The problem is that Android uses RAM differently than, say, Windows. On Android, having your RAM nearly full is a good thing. It means that when you relaunch an app you've previously opened, the app launches quickly and returns to its previous state. So while Android actually uses RAM efficiently, most users see that their RAM is full and assume that's what's slowing down their phone. In reality, your CPU—which is only used by apps that are actually active—is almost always the bottleneck.

Why Task Killers Are (Usually) Bad News

Apps like Advanced Task Killer, the most popular task killer in the Market, act on the incorrect assumption that freeing up memory on an Android device is a good thing. When launched, it presents you with a list of "running" apps and the option to kill as many as you want. You can also hit the Menu button to access a more detailed "Services" view, that lists exactly which parts of each application are "running", how much memory they take up, and how much free memory is available on your phone. This set-up implies that the goal of killing these apps is to free up memory. Nowhere on the list does it mention the number of CPU cycles each app is consuming, only the memory you'll free by killing it. As we've learned, full memory is not a bad thing—we want to watch out for the CPU, the resource that actually slows down your phone and drains your battery life.
Thus, killing all but the essential apps (or telling Android to kill apps more aggressively with the "autokill" feature) is generally unnecessary. Furthermore, it's actually possible that this will worsen your phone's performance and battery life. Whether you're manually killing apps all the time or telling the task killer to aggressively remove apps from your memory, you're actually using CPU cycles when you otherwise wouldn't—killing apps that aren't doing anything in the first place.
In fact, some of the processes related to those apps will actually start right back up, further draining your CPU. If they don't, killing those processes can cause other sorts of problems—alarms don't go off, you don't receive text messages, or other related apps may force close without warning. All in all, you're usually better off letting your phone work as intended—especially if you're more of a casual user. In these instances, a task killer causes more problems than it solves.

OP
Freezetron

Freezetron

Reaction score
That was a good read. I downloaded a app called "SystemPanel Lite" and its really easy to use and visually see whats going on with my phone, Im impressed with it.